Too Much Oil?

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I may have put too much oil in my FZ6 when I dumped it and replaced it. I let it empty out completely from the crankcase and oil filter line and filled it back up with 3 quarts. I think it might be slightly under 3 qts but I have been unable to find a 100% "level" surface to actually test the dip stick. If it is over is there any easier way to drain the excess oil without using the drain plug? Maybe siphon it from the filler? Just asking, last time oil went everywhere >_<

Also, what are the symptoms of too much oil? What damage can too much oil do? I smell burning coming from the center of the bike but not sure specifically what it is, definately isn't anything caked on it. Too much oil = less being pumped = hotter = burning smell ? The temperature gauge didn't go above half so it's not overheating, afaik.

Thanks!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
If you also changed the oil filter, 3qts is fine.

What does the dipstick show when you check the level? If memory serves correctly, you're not supposed to screw it back in when you're checking the level. Screwing it in will give you a false reading.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on everything he said, so basicly as long as it was completly drained and you changed the filter (hopefully because if you didnt then you just wasted 3 qts of oil) then its fine and ya your not suposed to screw it in when checking it. Also that burning smell is probably just a little oil that got on the headers and is burning off nbd

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

Last edited:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on everything he said, so basicly as long as it was completly drained and you changed the filter (hopefully because if you didnt then you just wasted 3 qts of oil) then its fine and ya your not suposed to screw it in when checking it. Also that burning smell is probably just a little oil that got on the headers and is burning off nbd

I believe you can actually go every-other oil change with the filters. I've had to do it with my truck before (stupid walmart book told me the wrong filter), but not the bike. Is it ok to do? Yes. Would I do it? Only in 'emergency' situations.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I was under the impression that the full oil capacity (when filter is changed) is around 2.7 US qts. I recently changed mine, put in about 2.7 qts, and upon checking the level saw that I was only a little below the max line.

Get yourself on a level surface and make sure you are not over capacity. Too much oil can cause internal damage to the motor. Those limits are in place for a reason.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe you can actually go every-other oil change with the filters. I've had to do it with my truck before (stupid walmart book told me the wrong filter), but not the bike. Is it ok to do? Yes. Would I do it? Only in 'emergency' situations.

I wouldn't do on the bike reguardless myself, i would only do it on a cage if i couldnt find a filter for some wierd reason. But if you dont change.the filter then all that nastyness that the filter has collected will immediately be contaminanting the new oil, and you could run into countless problems with the filter getting cloged up

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I was under the impression that the full oil capacity (when filter is changed) is around 2.7 US qts. I recently changed mine, put in about 2.7 qts, and upon checking the level saw that I was only a little below the max line.

Get yourself on a level surface and make sure you are not over capacity. Too much oil can cause internal damage to the motor. Those limits are in place for a reason.

According to yamaha the oil capacity with filter is 2.96 qts

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
3 quarts with filter change is what I've always put in since day one, 16,000 miles later, never a problem. The burning smell is probably just a little oil that spilled on the exhaust pipe which is close the drainplug.

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
As to filter changes - I'll have to check on the Yammy again, but I know for my Suzuki, the maintenance schedule specifies a new filter after every third oil change. The oil filters for bikes are relatively oversized for the engine, so it's not unreasonable to expect proper operation through more than one oil change.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
As to filter changes - I'll have to check on the Yammy again, but I know for my Suzuki, the maintenance schedule specifies a new filter after every third oil change. The oil filters for bikes are relatively oversized for the engine, so it's not unreasonable to expect proper operation through more than one oil change.

Maybe this is just me but i wouldn't trust doing that at all. To me if you dont change your filter your just wasting money by only changing your oil, because that nice clean premium oil that you just paid a premium price for will get way dirtier way quicker. And where if you changed your oil and filter at the same time you could also get way more miles inbetween oil changes. At least thats how i see it. Kinda like putting clean clothes on it.the morning but you didnt take a shower, ya you might look clean on the out side but by the end of the day your gonna be nasty.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with CF. You spend $15 - $25 for 3 quarts of high end synthetic oil and then you neglect to replace a $3 filter each time? Seems a no-brainer to me.

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I paid a fair bit more than $3 for my K&N oil filter ;)

Can I check the oil level cold or does it need to be running temp? Reason I am asking is because I was on what I thought was a level temp but when i pushed dipstick back down (no I didn't screw it in) it was WAY over the max line. The bike may have been tilted back though. Hard to find a level surface where I live....I will try again tonight at cold if it's possible and probably just loosen the drain plug and let some drip into a pan.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Ride to a flat spot, there are a few flat spots in Las Vegas, turn it off and wait five minutes, then check the level while the bike is on the centerstand. If you removed the centerstand you'll need someone to hold the bike upright to get a good reading. It's not that difficult.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I paid a fair bit more than $3 for my K&N oil filter ;)

Can I check the oil level cold or does it need to be running temp? Reason I am asking is because I was on what I thought was a level temp but when i pushed dipstick back down (no I didn't screw it in) it was WAY over the max line. The bike may have been tilted back though. Hard to find a level surface where I live....I will try again tonight at cold if it's possible and probably just loosen the drain plug and let some drip into a pan.

If you only put 3qts in i wouldnt bother it should be spot on, but if you do decide to drain some loosening the drain plug never really works like you want it too and in the end you either have a huge mess or drain way to much. The best way is to siphon it out through the dipstick hole. If you have a turkey baster, or syringe put a tube on the end of either one and suck ot out that way

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
The best way is to siphon it out through the dipstick hole. If you have a turkey baster, or syringe put a tube on the end of either one and suck ot out that way

Just be sure to clean that baster well before putting it back in your wife's kitchen drawer. Otherwise you'll catch hell in a couple of weeks when the wifey wants to know why the turkey baster is in the garage. :BLAA:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Just be sure to clean that baster well before putting it back in your wife's kitchen drawer. Otherwise you'll catch hell in a couple of weeks when the wifey wants to know why the turkey baster is in the garage. :BLAA:

Best thanksgiving turkey ever thanks to royal purple 10w40 :rof:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Ride to a flat spot, there are a few flat spots in Las Vegas, turn it off and wait five minutes, then check the level while the bike is on the centerstand. If you removed the centerstand you'll need someone to hold the bike upright to get a good reading. It's not that difficult.

I would think that a truly accurate reading could only be achieved if both wheels were on the ground and the bike was as upright as possible. Therefore, the center stand is not the best option.

Whenever I want to check the oil level I just use the sidestand, hold the bike upright, and take a reading then.

Again, as stated above, if 2.96qts is the OEM capacity and you dumped in 3, I am sure it is fine.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I would think that a truly accurate reading could only be achieved if both wheels were on the ground and the bike was as upright as possible. Therefore, the center stand is not the best option.

Except the owner's manual states that you should put the bike on the centerstand to do the reading. Can't get any more upright than having it on the centerstand on level ground.