to mp3 or to not mp3

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
how many of you listen to anything....mp3...radio...xm...while riding the bike?
i personally think this is squidding....
opinions?

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
depends on the ride for me... if im riding during busy times then no... if im riding when i know im one of the only ones out then yes.... jsut kinda depends but to be honest for the most part no

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Couldn't if I wanted to. You guys must have much better helmets. Above about 50 or so, I can't hear anything over the wind noise, with or without earplugs.

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Couldn't if I wanted to. You guys must have much better helmets. Above about 50 or so, I can't hear anything over the wind noise, with or without earplugs.

HJC CL-SP helmet, not bad but not the greatest either. I really have to crank up the volume :thumbup:

S

sportrider

+1. I've tried I can only here it at stop lights

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
i have the rf-1000 by Shoei... i also have the noise cancelling headphones that go in the ear canal... amazing sound the entire time :rockon:

jrgimaging

Reaction score
Visit site
wind noise above 35mph is loud enough no matter your helmet type to begin permanently damaging your hearing

this is why california allows foam earplugs. they did the studies.

noise-cancelling in-ear foam earplugs like the shure e4c's are also good as they cancel wind noise but you can still hear emergency vehicles. and because of the noise-cancelling you dont need to have your music up very loud at all

having the combination of wind noise AND in-helmet speakers blasting is doing you some serious long-term hearing dmg.

hoser183

Member Minimus
Reaction score
www.reflectiveessence.com
I don't wear earphones (regardless of the sound levels) because I know how music gets my adrenalin going. I know that if I get a good song playing I am bound to turn the throttle a little harder and corner a little deeper than I normally would! Sounds like complete perfection I am sure, but it scares me a little! I'd get focusing on the tune, crank the throttle, and drive off the edge of the cliff. Might be a great way to go though if your time is up!
But that's just me.:Flash:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Usually I wear them only on longer highway rides. For City riding I feel like they would distract me.

+1

I only do it on longer rides now. Only because I can't be bothered to fight with the ear buds for short trips. Especially around town when I'll be taking my helmet off and on a lot.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a DJ, so when i am not playing in Clubs, music is the last thing on my mind...plus i like to hear my bike...plays a nice tune all by itself!

castle228

'07 Kobalt FZ1
Reaction score
Visit site
Listen to MP3/FM radio during my commute with Shure e3 noise cancelling earbuds. I can still hear horns & emergency vehicles and I don't really have to have the volume up that loud.

I love it! :thumbup:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I don't wear earplugs, and I'm in the stone-age of music with no mp3 player!

Reading the comments I thought, "haha, this sounds like the old guys saying 'ohhhh it damages your ears cuz I can't hear now'" and then the young guys saying "nah it doesn't, stand in front of the concert speakers bro!!"

I dunno, but when I get an mp3 in October, you bet I might invest in the noise cancelling earbuds custom molded with earphones inside. Long rides and no twisties is boring...twisties for the afternoon is a symphony of engine roar to me!

just my 2c

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i listen, and don't consider myself a squid for it either, I listen to music when i drive my car, why not on the bike?

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Eytmonic ER6i IEMs under my Shoei RF-1000.

These are both on my wishlist! Right now I just use the headphones that came with my iPOD, for being "stock" they are pretty decent, but the lack of noise-cancellation has my eyeing the ER6i's specifically for riding.

Last edited:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
why are the Eytmonic ER6i IEM SOOOOO expensive? are they that much better?

My brother has teh $40 Sony headphones, but I used them running, and didn't like the lack of bass tunage and they didn't seem to get very high volume.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope i am not getting too far off topic with this, but Nolan have just released a whole new range of helmets in Australia with what they call n-com, with Bluetooth, MP3, phone, gps, intercom accesories that plug straight into the helmet.

which i am guessing everyone else has available in other parts of the world...we are nearly always last to get stuff in Australia, being such a small market.

Does anyone know more about these helmets, am sorta interested as i live on my phone, and currently use a bluetooth headset with bud earplugs, that works through my gps, that just plain "Cane" my ears..painful. Do these helmets come with noise cancelling, more forgiving earpieces?