To buy or not to buy...

LockeClone

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding my 84 Ascot for a little over five years now (fantastic starter bike if anyone asks) And I'm ready for something a little more modern that I can tour on. I've ridden many bikes over the past few months and have fallen for the fz6.

Anyway, a nearby dealer just got a 2007 in with only 600 miles. They say the previous owner got pregnant shortly after buying it. It rides great and the only thing about it that makes it look like it didn't just come off the manufacturing floor is a little ding in the faring where a strap rubbed it wrong.

They're asking $5500

Also! I'm moving from Colorado to LA in January, only taking what I can fit in my car and one of those little U-haul trailers. My original plan is to leave the Ascot with the folks here in CO and then buy a bike the second I find one on the coast. BUT I WANT IT NOW!!!

Plus a 2007-2009 FZ6 is what I want.

Will I be able to find anything similar in LA is is this a buy that I need to take advantage of now?

Also money is a big factor here. If I were to get any bike right now it would probably be a 2012 ninja 650. the fazer is a very close second for much less money.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
For this time of year and with so few miles it seems like a pretty good deal. I mean hell that bike isn't even broke in yet, it's practically brand new!!! If you want it I'd say go for it!!! Of course if you hold out you can find great used ones for under $4k

And by the way Welcome to the best forum on the world wide interweb

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
If'n it were me, I'd look elsewhere unless you can find out when it was 1st purchased, and that's relatively recent. (Say it's an '07 model 1st purchased 'n ridden in '10?) You really don't want a bike that's sat for 5 yrs.
I'd rather have one with more miles for a cheaper price. As mentioned above, you can find clean '07-'09 models here in Cali starting @ $3,500. :D

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
You will need some new tires too, sitting for 5 plus years, tires might look great but they have been breaking down over time. So add $300 to the bill.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
EVERYTHING is overpriced in LA...I have cousins there. I sold a car a few years ago and the buyer flew all the way from SoCal to the east coast and drove the car home 3,000 miles across the country because pricing on the east coast is about 25% less for used cars/bikes.

I would look for one now but don't be afraid to have to make a trip across state lines to pick up the one you want at the right price.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
EVERYTHING is overpriced in LA...I have cousins there. I sold a car a few years ago and the buyer flew all the way from SoCal to the east coast and drove the car home 3,000 miles across the country because pricing on the east coast is about 25% less for used cars/bikes.

I would look for one now but don't be afraid to have to make a trip across state lines to pick up the one you want at the right price.

I've been out there one time and that couldn't be more true. I remember stoping at a Carl's jr and for the same burger I could get back in Atlanta for about $5 cost $12

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
There are better deals out there for sure.
My 08 with only 4000Km (2500 miles) for $4200 is a good example.

I'm sure you can talk them down probably $750 to $1000 though...
Show up with CASH...that will loosen them up quite a bit...

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure of what CA laws are, but I know most motorcycles are made with a 49-state compliant model, and a CA-emissions compliant model. Can you register a non-CA bike in CA?

But yeah, I just bought my 07, which had 1-owner, 15k babied miles, for almost $2000 less than that asking price. Dealer prices will always be higher than private sales. I say look around more. Searchtempest will search craigslist within a mile range of your zip code.

Last edited:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Look on the left swing arm of the bike. There should be 2 decals. One of the decals should say whether or not it is Cal State emissions. I just went through this back in March. I purchased my bike out of state Zero miles. Prior to purchase I had to make sure it was Cal state emissions.... If the decals have been removed. The model type bike should state a "c" character for Cal state emissions. There is also a character in the vin # Although I forget which character. Yamaha USA quarters is based in So Cal you can give them a call. They can tell what and which characters. I forget the guidelines for bringing a bike into the state of California that's Non Cal state emissions. But with minimal miles as you mentioned I don't think that particular bike fits in that category..If its a non-Cal emissions bike. By the way theres two bikes in general in the states, Cal-State emissions and 49 State emissions. Let me see if I can find that Yamaha USA headquarters phone#. I have it here somewhere.

Ahh yes, 1.714.761.7300. Perhaps, tell them you need "customer service" play them the old violin and tell them your situation and your a "potential customer" anyway I think you can manage. I have another # 1.800.962.7926.

Most importantly, make sure you validate your emissions so you don't have to run through a bunch of Cal state Dept Motor Vehicle headache. Which could potentially result in fines or a smog headache. Welcome to California!!!! Oh ya not to worry.. There's Cal state bikes all over the states. Its more of a smog standard that happens to be probably the most stringet. No worries here, once you get the bike in the state currently there is nothing preventing you from modifying it. Not unless you get physically sited by the authorities after modifications.

Last edited: