To buy or not t buy a FZ6

MCFC21

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup:
Hi from Ireland.

Just about to purchase an 08 naked 600 but can't decide between GSR or FZ6.
I have been given a good price on a 07 model FZ6 unregistered which is the same price i got for 08 model gsr. Has much changed on the Yamaha for 08 besides colour choice and ABS?
I would have to raid the piggy bank again to get 08 model fazer

The feedback I get from mates is the Yamaha is better build quality then the Suzuki with some reports about issues with vibration , poor mirrors and not the best in brakes department but boy does the gsr look sweet.

Any input, advice or comparisons appreciated
Tim

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome MCFC!

Let me guess, I think that bout 99.99999% of the users here on the FZ6 forum will recommend the Yamaha ... you fill in the blank:)

It's a great bike. It is my first bike, and I spent a lot of time choosing. I will never regret getting the FZ6.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
First off welcome!
This is a decision that must be made by you. But we will be more than glad to aide in that desicion! I dont think the US has a naked model of the gsr so a pic may help. But sit on both and take a test ride if you can. i have not heard anyone who got the fz6 and didn't like it! here in the US the only changes for '08 were color. How many bikes have you had before? what were they (if any)? This is not a "starter" bike. Also go to a gsr forum and see if their members are as cool as us! J/K! good luck on your desicion!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, Welcome!

Agreed, most here will recommend the FZ.

I found a photo of the GSR and it looks like a great bike. Braced swing arm, looks like adjustable pre-load for the fork, nice looking bike.

Madman hit the nail on the head, ride them if you can. I think you will find the quality and reliability of both Yamaha and Suzuki to be very good.

Good luck with your purchase and remember to buy the FZ!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First off welcome!
This is a decision that must be made by you. But we will be more than glad to aide in that desicion! I dont think the US has a naked model of the gsr so a pic may help. But sit on both and take a test ride if you can. i have not heard anyone who got the fz6 and didn't like it! here in the US the only changes for '08 were color. How many bikes have you had before? what were they (if any)? This is not a "starter" bike. Also go to a gsr forum and see if their members are as cool as us! J/K! good luck on your desicion!

right on the nose... FZ6 is a great bike and i do not regret it in the least

MCFC21

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Heading to the US on Monday for two weeks , have planed to ride both when i return. Have owned two bikes previously suzuki rg fun 125 , honda nsr 250. Riden a few bigger bikes owned by friends but .......8 year since I've been on a bike.

bike_gsr600blu_main1.jpg

GSR in colour I'm looking at

2008-FZ6-ABS-colour-black_prv_tcm45-207424.jpg

08 naked fz6

will keep u posted on how i get on.. and yeah i knew i was dealing with a bias crowd

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I noticed that you posted a picture of the FZ6 but it is not the S2. I have the naked S2 and there are a lot of differences eg. 20 hp more etc. Look it up in the forum. Below is a pic of the S2....Get the FZ6 S2. Isn't she beautiful?

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good link...where were the bikes though, all i saw was some other language and a bunch of pics of girls... Still good link :thumbup:

-The website has the .pl extension meaning it is Poland. Also the girls were hot so that is the obvious give away - thy are Polish. ;-)

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the same choice - bought the '07 FZ6 !!!

:) I've owned 5 other bikes and nothing even comes close to the FZ6. It is one awesome ride. I bought mine 4 months ago, and I looked very closely at all of the alternatives. Thare no differences between the '07 and '08 except the colors. You can check out the details on both at the Yamaha site. And since I loved both of the '07 colors better than the '08 colors, it was a no-brainer to save a few buck and get what I really wanted.

I haven't found a single thing about the FZ6 that I don't love (except the single instead of dual headlight, which I fixed in 30 min. without cutting a wire with help found in this forum). The FZ6 is fast, comfortable, nimble, rugged, and feels as tight as a drum.

Good luck with your decision. I know I made the right one for me.:Flash:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:) I've owned 5 other bikes and nothing even comes close to the FZ6. It is one awesome ride. I bought mine 4 months ago, and I looked very closely at all of the alternatives. Thare no differences between the '07 and '08 except the colors. You can check out the details on both at the Yamaha site. And since I loved both of the '07 colors better than the '08 colors, it was a no-brainer to save a few buck and get what I really wanted.

I haven't found a single thing about the FZ6 that I don't love (except the single instead of dual headlight, which I fixed in 30 min. without cutting a wire with help found in this forum). The FZ6 is fast, comfortable, nimble, rugged, and feels as tight as a drum.

Good luck with your decision. I know I made the right one for me.:Flash:

Nice Bike! ;-) Would you please help me find the dual-headlight thread?
I'd like to try without cutting the wire!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
to not cut the wire you can go to radio shack and buy some wire taps

I have to disagree with this. Wire taps are one of the worst things to use. Consider this.

They cut the wire's insulation. This creates a path for corrosion to enter the wire. And they're not weatherproof, so this will become a problem.

They can cut the wire's strands. The blade of the tap has to touch the metal of the wire if it's going to make an electrical connection. So it's going to cut into it. And if you use the wrong size wire tap, things get even worse.

And of course, they look like crap.

The only proper way to tap into a wire is to solder and use either heat shrink or liquid electrical tape. The wire then needs to be supported in the area of the solder joint. I've seen wire taps fail. I've never had a solder joint fail.

I do like wire taps for one thing. When I am shopping for a used vehicle, if I see wire taps or those crimpable butt connectors, I know that the wiring has been monkeyed with by someone who very likely did not know what they were doing. It lets me know which vehicles to avoid buying.

Fred

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
I stand by the wire-tap solution

I have to disagree with this. Wire taps are one of the worst things to use. Consider this.

They cut the wire's insulation. This creates a path for corrosion to enter the wire. And they're not weatherproof, so this will become a problem.

They can cut the wire's strands. The blade of the tap has to touch the metal of the wire if it's going to make an electrical connection. So it's going to cut into it. And if you use the wrong size wire tap, things get even worse.

And of course, they look like crap.

The only proper way to tap into a wire is to solder and use either heat shrink or liquid electrical tape. The wire then needs to be supported in the area of the solder joint. I've seen wire taps fail. I've never had a solder joint fail.

Fred

I have to disagree with Fred on this one. The headlight mod using a wire tap was clean, simple, and invisible. If you use the right size tap, you aren't going to hurt the wire. Even if a strand or two is cut, it won't make a bit of differnece. There is NO stress on this wire, it's not like it gets moved around all the time.

I did the tap down just before the wire bundle enters the frame, where there was already a piece of electrical tape wrapped around the end of the shield that covers the bundle. I made a 1.25 inch lengthwise cut in the bundle cover and fished out the green wire. I tested it it to make sure it was the right wire by poking a needle into it and checking it with a volt meter (13 V for low beams, 0 Volts for high beams). The wire tap clipped on perfectly, covering up the cut in the wire bundle sheath. I wrapped up the same area that was originally wrapped in electrical tape, and I would trust that joint for twice the life of the bike without concern for corrosion or breakage. I ran the tap-wire through the bracket that runs up the middle, and everything looks as it should. The only obvious indication of the mod is that both headlights work.

I read the thread on the "right" way to do it, and there's no way in hell I was going to dismantle my new bike and do the wire harness mod. Not when there's already a wire right there that was made to drive that headlight. More power to the guys that took that route, but there really is NOTHING wrong with the easy way of doing this mod. :D

View attachment 1960

View attachment 1961

View attachment 1962

View attachment 1963

Y

yukon_alex

Aaaggghhh!

Good link...where were the bikes though, all i saw was some other language and a bunch of pics of girls... Still good link :thumbup:

They'll never get the bike upright while the brunette sits on it! Amateurs!:)

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Even if a strand or two is cut, it won't make a bit of differnece. There is NO stress on this wire, it's not like it gets moved around all the time.

First off, I'm not flaming you, but I am going to reply to the contrary. Don't take it personal.

That wire bundle goes from a hole in the frame to the left hand switch cluster. It's going to move every time you turn the handlebars.

I don't trust those types of connectors. Several mechanics who have forgotten more about bikes than I'll ever learn have told me that they never use those connectors. These are guys with 40+ years of experience doing everything from fixing bikes in a shop to working in the pits for factory teams. I trust them.

To each his own, I suppose. In closing I will say that I hope you ride many fun and safe miles. And years from now when that connector fails I can say,"I told you so." ;)

Fred

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
I can live with that

Thanks, Fred. I understand your position, and respect the experience of those who have "been there and done that." No change in my opinion of the best way to do this mod, but I'm OK with whatever anyone else decides to do to their bikes. I've made my share of mistakes in the past, but this mod will definitely outlive the bike. If someday I'm proven wrong, I'll remember this and drink a beer in your honor. :rockon:

Thanks for the the interesting exchange!