About to purchase my first fz6, question about engine issue first.

Nightster6

Ready to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, new to the site here.

So after 3 long years of salivating over the fz6, i finally am in a position to buy my first one. I Found a '08 Black FZ6 with just under 1500 miles for $4k at my local dealer. Unfortunatly this isnt just a simple barley used bike...

This is the story on the bike according to my salesman. He sold it to the first owner brand new. After a year the bike came back in wrecked. The owner claimed he was doin 30MPH and the right footpeg broke off causing him to lay it over on its right side. With $1600 worth of damage the previous owner decided since Yamaha wouldnt cover it he would stick it to the dealer and stop paying for it, aka he allowed it to get repo'ed. Now from looking over the bike and work order, the sales man and i agree this dude was full of it. The exhaust tips (the actual metal tubes not the plastic casing) were scratched to hell, and the rear taillight assy had to be replaced. Our guess is that the hot shot wanted to be a bada** and decided to attempt a wheely and dumped the clutch to fast and the bike flipped back to its rear and then fell on the right side.

So when the bank gained possesion of bike it fixed 95% of the damge. The only damage remaining is some of scratches on the front fairing and the engine cover to the right of the round cover (what i would assume as the crankcase cover, except that the WO said that was replaced so this cant be it?) Now the dealership tells me their techs ran it up and down the street to make sure the motor and tranny are fine. Im inclined to believe them but we all know dealerships will lie to sell a bike. My question is even with only 1500 miles what kinda damage to the motor could have happened if say he had already succeeded in wheelying or what kinda damage would have happened when it fell on its side?

It has a 3 year warrenty availible for an extra $800. Its through AfterCare and seems to cover most everything besides wear and tear with no deductable. My thought is that with all the unkown as far as how it was treated, it would be a smart idea for me to get it. Im intrested to see if its even worth it though considering what you guys think about how much mechanical damage could have been caused.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe I would pass on this one if I were you, keep looking and you should be able to pick one up for about the same money,or less, without the history of damage.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
For $4000, considering its history,.... Its not a good deal. If maybe $3000 sure. Keep looking you will find something. Check craigslist .... etc.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For $4k you could get a much better one. Just be patient. There will ALWAYS be another one.

Expand your search net. Look farther from home and find someone who will let you borrow a pick up truck for the day to pick it up.

edit:

another grand (which youd probably have to spend on repairs anyway to get that other one to top condition) gets you showroom condition:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/2054649343.html

or $300 more than your 4k mark for one in good condition here:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/2077744233.html

and '06 was a good year imo....... :)

$3,000
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2080954268.html

another:
http://limaohio.craigslist.org/mcy/2059785376.html

$3400
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/mcy/2084409845.html

$3200
http://swmi.craigslist.org/mcy/2047466996.html

$4,000 for one with a spotty history and in rough shape is a bad deal.

and you could probably lowball at least a couple of them with cash on hand offer.

Last edited:

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed. I would pass no matter the price. There is always a chance that whatever repairs were done were just the minimum required ones. Most likely that whatever they missed will come up in the first few hundred you put on her.

After waiting so long, you don't want a lemon.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to agree with everyone else, too. Pass on it. I waited 10 years (wife at the time didnt want me on one...now x) so I went new. I found an 09 still on the floor. I figured if I wait this long, why not?:rockon:

Nightster6

Ready to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that wasnt really the response i was expecting. I guess six other owners cant be wrong though so thanks for the advice. And thanks a ton for the craigslist ads lonesoldier84, I guess i shoulda opened my eyes a bit more.

I have a truck so I think I may call up the ad in craigslist in Fortwayne considering it has a two brothers exhaust. They sound mean. 15k miles doesnt seem to high to you guys though?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I would NOT buy after market warranty period. It's such a good bike it's not needed.
Agree I would pass or offer 3K and the dealer gives you a 60 day warranty.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
WOW I am quite amazed in looking at these prices.:eek:

I picked up a very clean and completely stock 2006 FZ5 with 5K miles on it a few months ago for $2500. I guess spring fever must be in the air.

As others have said, Keep looking. This bike could be just fine but it also could be beat from the first owner even with those miles.

Just Walk Away. :shakehead:

Marc

Last edited:

ericausand

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't do it!

I got my 2005 FZ6 last spring with a scorpion exhaust, PCIII, and lower fairings for 3200 bucks! Oh, and it only had 1200 miles on it. It was female owned and not even broken in! After 5 years!

Keep looking! Craig's list and ebay always have a few.

If you hell bent to have this one, then offer the guy 1500 bucks and get the warranty. You never know, he may just want to get rid of it.

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm on the same page as everyone else..... the dealership isn't out any money on the thing, it's not all the way right, and it still costs more than the market value.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I don't have to tell you my opinion, I agree with not even think about that bike unless they go down to $3,000.00 out the door.
There are some dealers with 2009 left over, new with no miles at all for 5k. If I was you I'll look for something like that.
Good luck and :welcome:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with everybody else. Keep looking, it is the wrong time of year to jump on a bike in the mid-west.

I looked for over a year before I settled on mine. Be patient!

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
WOW I am quite amazed in looking at these prices.:eek:

I picked up a very clean and completely stock 2006 FZ5 with 5K miles on it a few months ago for $2500. I guess spring fever must be in the air.

As others have said, Keep looking. This bike could be just fine but it also could be beat from the first owner even with those miles.

Just Walk Away. :shakehead:

Marc
Yours was so cheap because they gypped you out of 100cc's

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is another comparison, I bought my 07 with 11k miles from the original owner for $2100 2 weeks ago. It had never been down or dropped, Had Scorpion exhaust, K&N, Clear Signals,Clear Brake Light with LED Bulb, Frame Sliders and Axle Sliders. He also had all the original parts both factory keys and the factory manual. He also threw in a Tourmaster Mesh jacket. He was over 40, it had always been garage kept. I sold the Exhaust for $350 and it sitting in my garage in my name Current tags and inspection I have less than $2000 in it. I forgot to mention it has a new set of Pilot Powers on it as well.

So there are some good deals just be patient :thumbup:

Todd

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
!

Here is another comparison, I bought my 07 with 11k miles from the original owner for $2100 2 weeks ago. It had never been down or dropped, Had Scorpion exhaust, K&N, Clear Signals,Clear Brake Light with LED Bulb, Frame Sliders and Axle Sliders. He also had all the original parts both factory keys and the factory manual. He also threw in a Tourmaster Mesh jacket. He was over 40, it had always been garage kept. I sold the Exhaust for $350 and it sitting in my garage in my name Current tags and inspection I have less than $2000 in it. I forgot to mention it has a new set of Pilot Powers on it as well.

So there are some good deals just be patient :thumbup:

Todd

That's not a good deal....that's a frickin' STEAL! :eek: Nice going and welcome to the club btw. Ride safe.