Tires for FZ6 (Recommendations Please)

I have a 2007 FZ6, I believe the tires are still original. Bike has 6700 miles on it.

They are starting to get down there.

I believe they are bridgestones.

I am looking for a good performing tire with long life.

I was wondering what you guys and gals are running and if you like them or not?

I am getting conflicting recommendations from friends.
Join the club lol

7700mi and still the original tires on my 2007 :rolleyes:

I am on my 2nd set of Pilot Road 2's. They have consistently performed excellent in all conditions. The set I have now brought me safely through tail of the dragon several times in Sep 2012.

I took the first set off at 12k miles and had lots of tread left

on the 2nd set now and I am approaching 12k miles. Expecting another 1k to 2k miles out of them. The quality of the ride has not really diminished by much if any. they feel as good now as the day I put them on.

I know there are later generations of this tire (PR3 and PR4) with purported improvements.. that may be true. but Not needing anything better than the PR2's for the type of riding I do and this generation is the least expensive.

Save your money and get the PR2. I have been through a bazillion sets and 3 track days FZ6, FZ1 and my 990 were all on PR2 and they stuck just fine.
Putting a new set on my KTM this weekend. Can't buy a better tire for the money.

What do you consider good performance? What do you consider long tire life?
If the tire holds when i drag the footpeg thingie i consider it good performance. If I can get 4K out of the tire I'm happy.
Performance and milage are opposite ends of the bell curve. The more of one, the less of the other. You have to decide where on that bell curve you need/want to be.
I'm running M20 'stones right now. They have about 1800 miles on them. Peak riding season for me starts in September. So by the end of October I will be changing them. My next set will be Pirelli Diablo's. I know that because they are setting in the corner. Cycle Gear had a deal. $200 for a set. Pirelli makes OK tires. I have never had a problem with them. I will get them put on early next year. I will need to adjust my riding style but that is not an issue. Just take it easy until you know what they will do.
The 'stones heat up pretty fast, or at least it seems like it.

What do you consider good performance? What do you consider long tire life?
If the tire holds when i drag the footpeg thingie i consider it good performance. If I can get 4K out of the tire I'm happy.
Performance and milage are opposite ends of the bell curve. The more of one, the less of the other. You have to decide where on that bell curve you need/want to be.
I'm running M20 'stones right now. They have about 1800 miles on them. Peak riding season for me starts in September. So by the end of October I will be changing them. My next set will be Pirelli Diablo's. I know that because they are setting in the corner. Cycle Gear had a deal. $200 for a set. Pirelli makes OK tires. I have never had a problem with them. I will get them put on early next year. I will need to adjust my riding style but that is not an issue. Just take it easy until you know what they will do.
The 'stones heat up pretty fast, or at least it seems like it.

I want both and the PR2 is as close as I can get to a tire that works well when dragging pegs or lasting longer than most other brands I have tried.

I too am happy with anything over 4,500 miles but a softer tire will be gone by 2,500 miles

I want both and the PR2 is as close as I can get to a tire that works well when dragging pegs or lasting longer than most other brands I have tried.

I too am happy with anything over 4,500 miles but a softer tire will be gone by 2,500 miles

Agreed! Back in the old days you had to chose performance or long wear you couldn't have both. That was before dual compound tires! My PP 2CT's stick as good as any sport tire when leaned over but the harder centers give me touring like mileage. I've almost worn out the sides of my front tire from a lot of twisty riding but my centers still are fine and I'm at 6,500 miles. :thumbup:

Agreed! Back in the old days you had to chose performance or long wear you couldn't have both. That was before dual compound tires! My PP 2CT's stick as good as any sport tire when leaned over but the harder centers give me touring like mileage. I've almost worn out the sides of my front tire from a lot of twisty riding but my centers still are fine and I'm at 6,500 miles. :thumbup:

+1

Agreed. I've had quite a few sets of the 2CT's. A great track tire that would then move to the FZ to wear out the middle :thumbup:

Any set of sport touring tires are great for street riding. Popular choices here are the Michelin Pilot Road 2, 3, & 4's, Bridgestone BT023 & T30, Pirelli Angels, Dunlop Roadsmart, Metzler Z8, etc. You will not outride the performance of these tires on street and they are great in a variety of temperatures as well as rain.

Personally, I'm currently on a set of BT023's. From my research, experience, and especially for the price, they offer the best performance in any weather and have lasted over 12k miles and are still going strong.

Great mileage from 023... I don't see mine going 7000 miles. Time will tell.

^^ Same tire condition with less miles from both B-Stone S20 and BT016 Pro.

Side of tires GONE while the center remains. Not allot remaining but both were done in 6000 miles. NOT the TIRE the OP is looking for!

^^ Same tire condition with less miles from both B-Stone S20 and BT016 Pro.

Side of tires GONE while the center remains. Not allot remaining but both were done in 6000 miles. NOT the TIRE the OP is looking for!

90% of my riding is twisty roads which wears out the tire edges if you like to push it on nice days. I doubt the OP does more than 50% twisties living in Chicago. He needs something that won't flat spot quickly and that's a dual compound for sure.

I need to move wherever the hell you are!!

Its 95% straight here :(

I'm the East side of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central VA. I can go north, south or west and every road is a snake! My commute is 7 miles of curvy backroads. Hey at least you don't live in Kansas! :thumbup:

I've got PR3's but they don't seem to grip as well as the BT's. The handling changed nicely between tire's (the old BT's were squared off) but the grip and the extreme limit of the tire feels.... loose?

Running the PR3's on my CBR and rand them on my FZ6. They stick well ALL the time - hot/cold/dry/wet. For track days I would run something else but for the street they are great. Best thing about the tires is they stick in the wet and cold. For the twisties I drop the pressures and for long trips I put it at the factory recommended. My rear is showing some sign of wear at about 10,000 miles. Will probably go to the PR4 when I need to replace.

Back