Tire Suggestions

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
How's it going you guys -- its that time of year for me where I buy new tires. I've ridden a pair of stock battleax's and now I'm almost done with my 2nd set of the pilot power 2ct's.

I'm looking for suggestions because I want to try something different this year. I've heard some frightening things about michelin and I wanted to avoid running them this season just to put my mind at ease.

I'm looking for a long life tire with good water repelling traits and decent grip. I don't do many track days and I'm an all weather rider -- so phenomenal track grip is not my goal.

Any suggestions you guys can throw at me and some vendors? I've been using bike bandit as my main source for the past year or so -- but I'm also down to try a new vendor.

Thanks in advance guys.
-Matt

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for a long life tire with good water repelling traits and decent grip. I don't do many track days and I'm an all weather rider -- so phenomenal track grip is not my goal.

Any suggestions you guys can throw at me and some vendors? I've been using bike bandit as my main source for the past year or so -- but I'm also down to try a new vendor.

Thanks in advance guys.
-Matt

I would say the Bridgestone Battleax S20, but it's a hyper sport, like 10% track tire and 90% street.

If you're really not going to be getting on the track, then maybe this new Bridgestone T30, sport touring tire. It's good enough for Rossi to whore himself for.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L2Qqeo7fwg]Valentino Rossi rides the Bridgestone Battlax T30 - YouTube[/ame]

I'm actually going with some Pilot Power 3's (the new replacement to the Pilot Power 2CT) after my Pilot Road 2's are done, or sooner maybe. I don't like how hard the Pilot Road 2's are. They are a pretty good tire, not as sticky as I like, and more for commuting and long mileage. I have 2000 miles on them and they look brand new.

What is it that you heard about or dislike about Michelin? I've always ran them on my cars, and they seem to be ok for the bike.

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Bt023 i also ride all year and i find them to be amazing tyres to be honest i know they had some bad press about wet weather but i find them to be more impressive in the wet then what they are in the dry i have approx 5K miles on them at the moment and they seem to have plenty of life left and i ride hard to so i will deffo be buying them again when the time comes

Hope that helps

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say the Bridgestone Battleax S20, but it's a hyper sport, like 10% track tire and 90% street.

If you're really not going to be getting on the track, then maybe this new Bridgestone T30, sport touring tire. It's good enough for Rossi to whore himself for.

Valentino Rossi rides the Bridgestone Battlax T30 - YouTube

I'm actually going with some Pilot Power 3's (the new replacement to the Pilot Power 2CT) after my Pilot Road 2's are done, or sooner maybe. I don't like how hard the Pilot Road 2's are. They are a pretty good tire, not as sticky as I like, and more for commuting and long mileage. I have 2000 miles on them and they look brand new.

What is it that you heard about or dislike about Michelin? I've always ran them on my cars, and they seem to be ok for the bike.

also this as they are set to replace the bt023 :thumbup:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site

Valentino Rossi rides the Bridgestone Battlax T30 - YouTube

Michelin Recalls 77,000 Tires Due To Defects « CBS Philly

Michelin Recalls 841k Tires - Tread Separations

They've recalled almost 1,000,000 tires since April of last year....and:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/main-lobby-new-member-section/43362-beware-michelin-2cts.html

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/445939-potential-issue-michelin-pilot-road-3-tires-catastrophic-failure.html

There's countless threads out there like that one if you look around. I personally had a flat from a screw on one of mine but that's hardly Michelin's fault -- just makes me nervous with all this information lately.

Last edited:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Well for the BT023's the rear is 20$ more expensive than the ones I was looking at, but the front is 20$ cheaper so it actually comes out to the same price.

Free shipping on bike bandit right now for orders over 99$ so I think I'm going to try the 023's like you guys are suggesting. I'm gonna read some reviews first but chances are I'll take you guys up on the suggestion. Good lookin out.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin Recalls 77,000 Tires Due To Defects « CBS Philly

Michelin Recalls 841k Tires - Tread Separations

They've recalled almost 1,000,000 tires since April of last year....and:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/main-lobby-new-member-section/43362-beware-michelin-2cts.html

Potential issue with Michelin Pilot Road 3 Tires - Catastrophic failure. - Sportbikes.net

There's countless threads out there like that one if you look around. I personally had a flat from a screw on one of mine but that's hardly Michelin's fault -- just makes me nervous with all this information lately.

I had heard about the issue with the PR3's coming apart with the first batch they released, but nobody has said a bad thing about them recently. I thought firestone was the bad guy with tire separation,now I have to throw Michelin on the list.

I still think I'm going to wait 3 or 4 months for the Pilot Pure 3's to see if anything like this happens before I get them. Or I may just go back to the S20. I loved that on my Fz6 because it was so soft and grippy, but I may just shred it on my Fz1 now.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Well for the BT023's the rear is 20$ more expensive than the ones I was looking at, but the front is 20$ cheaper so it actually comes out to the same price.

Free shipping on bike bandit right now for orders over 99$ so I think I'm going to try the 023's like you guys are suggesting. I'm gonna read some reviews first but chances are I'll take you guys up on the suggestion. Good lookin out.

I like Revzilla because they have their cash back (revzilla bucks) program that you can work your way up to free gear.