Tire question

mountaincycle

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it okay to run two different tires brands on my FZ or is it just taboo?

Basically, I only need a rear tire and don't want to use the same brand... My front tire is still in great condition.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy two new tires, same brand?

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While I've not done it, I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't, unless the two are totally different (like one a racing tire and one not). That's my two cents.

GhengisT

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I used to always run a super-sport tire up front and a sport touring tire in the rear. Never had an issue. But nowadays, I just put the stickiest tires I can afford on front & rear.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I've mixed brands for years, no issues or problems. The front in my opinion has more of an effect on handling and feel. Just think how lousy your bike feels with a squared off rear?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think there would be 2 categories I would concern myself with in regard to using tires of other model and brand. One would be to use tires of equal profile. This would be more critical in higher performance riding. I would think the second consideration would be having a front tire with equal or better stick than the rear tire. Rear recovery will always be more manageable than the front going out on you.

I'm running the Bridgestone S-20 up front and I went with Bridgestone T-30 sport touring in the rear for the last rear replacement. So far the T-30 has worked well for traction and longer wear than the BT-016 or S-20 I've used previously on the rear. Your successful combinations will of course be reflected by your riding style terrain/temps, proper air pressure and bike. :)

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
had the stock bt-?? ( i forget which one it was) on front and put a pirelli diablo on the rear when we first had the bike, they both finished off close to the same time and did a pair of bt-23 and they wore very close front and rear so recently replaced them both with a pair of shinko.

but basically the biggest differences could be traction on compound, and profile a little bit. one tire may tip in a little different than the other and may feel a little different at first, but should be quick to get used to. i noticed this even further when i went darkside ( car tire) on the back of my wing. but dont even give it a second thought now!