Throttle Body Synchronization

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Great response for one day! Here's my calculation for the group buy. Morgan Carbtune with tool pouch is 60 pounds UK = $105.94 US dollars. It comes out to just about $10 savings. Considering a throttle body tune job at a service shop is around $80 to $100, this tool will pay for itself after 2 tune ups.

If anyone is still on the fence, check out these links.

http://www.angelfire.com/ia2/vmax/carbtune.htm

Carbtune Pro 4 - FJR Forum

Starter Valve Synchronization and Plugs - Honda CBR 929RR / 954RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

Honda-Tech.com: Honda Motorcycles: CarbTune II Group Buy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y659oAsR7eQ"]YouTube - Syncing Yamaha FJR1300 Throttle Bodies[/ame]

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
C'mon people...., this is a deal in the making. The service manual indicates synching every 6 months or 4000mi. The videos and Fred and Pete made it look so simple. Why run a bike out of synch? Isn't this a performance and efficiency issue that shouldn't be overlooked?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
C'mon people...., this is a deal in the making. The service manual indicates synching every 6 months or 4000mi. The videos and Fred and Pete made it look so simple. Why run a bike out of synch? Isn't this a performance and efficiency issue that shouldn't be overlooked?

It really isn't difficult at all. The beauty part is the price of the tools and a bit of your time more than breaks even the first time you use it. Each use after that is money in the bank! I think the Yamaha stealerships charge about $100+ to do this.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
For every member that changes their own oil, that means they could do this too. That should mean we should have a lot more interest in this. Do it, do it, do it.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
...If you used #1 as a reference and synchronised off this, how do you know that #1 wasn't the most off and would this affect the engine?

That is the question I have... I think the answer is in the gauge you use and if you can set 218mmHg?

Initially I misunderstood the reference part (slow learning curve) and I adjusted #1 trying to reach the service manuals 218 mmHg so I could then sync the remaining throttle bodies. I was unable to get the #1 on the Morgan Carbtune to reach that value - crap. Now what...? Once I figured out I was suppose to leave #1 alone, where then is #1 suppose to be set (remember I couldn't reach the service manual specs and like an idiot forgot to mark where it was originally)? Maybe I should have left it alone or I'm too hard on myself. :(

Anyway, I set #1 by ear the best I could and sync'd the remaining TB's. I think it runs better but I hate not knowing if #1 was set incorrectly. Maybe the next sync with a different vacuum gauge will show how off I was from 218mmHg.

My head hurts.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
from what i heard it really doens't matter what #1 is actually set at, so long as all the others are synced to it properly. So I wouldnt' worry too much about it.

So who's next to be added to the list?

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
the vac reading is a good indication of the health of your bike, so at the specified idle speeds you *should* be getting the stated value. Unlike a carb-ed bike, we set the sync via a air bypass and not by adjusting the throttle plates relative to each other (although actually to get a good sync/best idle on a carb-ed bike you adjust the throttle plates and the pilot screws).

My suggestion would be that if you are balanced from cylinder to cylinder, but are reading too low a vac-level at the specified idle, you need to lower the idle set stop screw and then open the air bypasses on each cylinder to raise back up to the specified idle rpm, then re-sync. Max vacuum is achieved with the smallest throttle plate opening.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad Tool Source doesn't sell these anymore. I picked mine up for $69.00 about 8 months ago. Cycle Gear wants over a $100? Geesh.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ugh, wouldn't you know it. I just paid full pop for the Morgan gauge without revisiting this thread first. Anyhow, got the thing really quickly and it looks the dogs bollocks. And it comes with all of the fittings one needs. Whereas the motion pro requires you to buy extra fittings. I hope you all are able to swing a nice deal.

I'll be doing mine, hopefully, next weekend. Many thanks to the folks who did the little video. As usual, this forum rocks.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
O man mstewar1, anyways, i would have saved you about 5 pound but the second you use that machine you'll be saving yourself plenty of money! :)

Last edited:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
two more people to go to at least get to a figure the company may give a good discount for!!

We all spend money on exhausts and other things that are not needed so why not spend a mere 100 dollars or so on a unit that will pay itself off time and time again, and aid in maintaining a good engine??