Three years, still original brake fluid

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, am I going to hell? Asking for serious trouble, etc.? I bought the bike new almost exactly three years ago and she still stops just fine. Just curious if I'm ok riding around with three year old fluid or should I get a solid :spank: and change ASAP.

Thanks!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, you can go four years (don't ask me how I know this) :spank:

Sounds like we both need to do some wrenching... :rolleyes:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Might be a little over due here Mate! No biggy... It is amazing how firm it get after you bleed the system.

Just to make you feel better. On my 06 cager I change the front brake pads for the first time at 94 000 miles. I bleed the brake for the first time at 110 000 miles. Maybe I should check the rear shoe too very soon... I'll try before xmas. LOL

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
probably only a problem if you start pushing the bike, as the brake fluid will probably have water in it, and so boil at a lower temperature (leaving you with no brakes!)

i'm going to a track day on wednesday so i'll be changing mine very shortly

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm here with you at a little over 3 years. Mine seem to work fine, but I'll be changing the fluid just in case.

Coolant too now that I'm thinking about it...

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I did mine after 4 years (the coolant too). I did not see any difference but I have peace of mind now. I also changed the fork oil when I changed the springs (big difference there)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
So, am I going to hell? Asking for serious trouble, etc.? I bought the bike new almost exactly three years ago and she still stops just fine. Just curious if I'm ok riding around with three year old fluid or should I get a solid :spank: and change ASAP.

Thanks!

Change it. You'll stop better.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
more water may also lead to corrosion from the inside.
brake fluid has corrosion inhibitors, but they break down over time.

^+5

Especially those of you in the coastal and hi humidity areas as the corrosion will attack the aluminum which wears the rubber piston and your brakes fail!!!!!

No big deal if a caliper piston slowly leaks, as you'll see the fluid level drop and it makes huge mess. If the front master cylinder fails, YOU DIE!!! :eek:

Change the fluid yearly its quick, easy, and cheap and it'll save you chunk of change by not buying a new MC!

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny thing is I did more maintenance on my old Ninjette because it was in such a state of disarray. I need to do this for sure. It really wasn't hard at all on the Ninja. Much easier than flushing the coolant, which was a bit of a PIA to work all the air out of the system.

I guess I should also read up on fork maintenance, too. I don't even understand what fork oil does, being a relative newb. Thanks, interwebs!
Suspension 101, How Do Your Forks Work? | K3 Chris Onwiler | Trackdaymag

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed both my brake fluid (Only because I bought HEL brake lines) and my coolant for the first time this winter. I probably should have done it a year ago as my coolant was especially dirty. (43000 kms) If I were you,I would change it after this riding season for peace of mind at least.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned earlier, changing it sooner than later will help prevent later problems. My front brakes were just starting to drag slightly more than normal so when I replaced all the lines with Hel SS lines, I took apart the front calibers and cleaned them while apart.

Re-asembly included using: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24110-Caliper-Brush-Top-Bottle/dp/B000HBNV6W]Amazon.com: Permatex 24110 Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube, 8 oz Brush-Top Bottle: Automotive[/ame] on the seals and pistons. Much easier to assemble, helps prevent corrosion and fixed the slight additional drag I was encountering...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If you think that's bad....I have never changed the fluid in my 2006 model...at least I have always garaged it and only have 13,000 miles on it...still stops fine but the fluid is finally looking a little dark...changing it this week.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw this thread just after I have gone out and spent a small fortune on brake fluid, fork oil, coolant, engine oil and filter and a few other bits and pieces, in order to do a complete service at home. My local shop would do it all for a fairly reasonable price, but I can save myself over 100 euros and have some fun doing it myself.

I've never changed the brake fluid so it must be just over 4 years old by now!!!

Today's job was oil and filter change, and cleaned the air filter. The rest when I have some time!

Might splash out on some stainless steel braided hoses...any one know any good ones for an ABS model?