Thoughts on the Suzuki Bandit 1200 or similar bikes?

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for another bike to compliment my FZ6. Ideally, I would love a bike with a totally different feel all together. The FZ gets all its power when you rev it high... I would love a bike that has a ton of torque down low in the RPM scale.

I've read this post by CanadianFZ6 - http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/5185-08-bandit-1250-vs-07-fz6.html, and he talks about the things I'm looking for. I've found several older Bandit 1200s (2001) by my house for real cheap. However, they have carbs and are not fuel injected. I have read in several places that these bikes have a very strong reputation for being very reliable and bulletproof. Has anyone ridden one or had any experience with them? The only catch with the bandits is that I'm not crazy about how they look. They aren't terrible, so I'll get over that.

What other bikes would you recommend? In the future I would love to own an FZ1, but like I said, I want something totally different from my FZ6 for now. I want something that has a comfortable upright position and gives decent wind protection. I'm probably going to use it for longer 2-up riding trips and shorter 1 hour trips here and there. I've also looked at some BMW models along with the Yamaha FJR1300. These bike will of course cost quite a bit more compared to the 1200 Bandit. I would love to look at a Honda CBF1000, but they aren't available here in the states.

I also wanted to add that I'm only 5'6". I've looked at the Suzuki V-Strom, but the seat is too high. Ideally I would need something that has a seat height no more than 32" (above 31.5" is kinda pushing it).

Any input is appreciated! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up an 03 Bandit 1200S and it's a great bike! It has almost twice the torque the FZ6 has but the weight is noticeable. Very easy to ride but a little heavy at low speeds. I average 45-49 MPG as long as I don't get heavy on the throttle. I've got a Holeshot slip-on and will soon get the jet kit for it. It's a different feel having that much torque and not having to downshift. :thumbup: I went riding with my dad this week (250+ miles) he's on the Bandit me on the FZ6. When passing he would just roll on in 5th (top gear for a Bandit) and I'd have to downshift to 4th to match the acceleration the Bandit produces.

Last edited:

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I "upgraded" to an FZ1 after selling my FZ6. Test ride one, trust me it is a totally different bike but the R1 power plant is awesome. It may look a lot like the FZ6 (only bigger) but there the similarity ends. the frame is totally different as are the forks and shock. together with the 190 back tire, the R1 brakes and 150bhp on tap it has grunt and power throughout. As they say each to their own but i rode an Fz1 and found the bike i'd been looking for. it has the power and the handling that means i'm looking for excuses to be out on it 24 x 7

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
You should get a cruiser of some sort! Lots of torque, low seat, can have very good wind protection, totally different than FZ6. I just met a guy at a bike shop today who had a huge Yammie cruiser to complement his Gixxer 750 and he loved it. If I was to get a second bike, I'd probably get some sort of cruiser.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just get a few different bikes and go from there. ;)

downsized_0527092018.jpg

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You should get a cruiser of some sort! Lots of torque, low seat, can have very good wind protection, totally different than FZ6. I just met a guy at a bike shop today who had a huge Yammie cruiser to complement his Gixxer 750 and he loved it. If I was to get a second bike, I'd probably get some sort of cruiser.

What?!?!?!? :eek: A snoozer????

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hellgate has it right. Snoooooooooooooozer :(

+1 to a FJR. Getting to be quite a few used ones around. Nice to have some tupperware for the longer rides and way better for two up.
Less money and pep would be a used Kawi Connie, good for long rides.
Beemers are nice but too much $$ and not enough dealers.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey!! Don't hate on the cruisers! :spank:

You're new here, right???? :rolleyes: :Flip:

I have a distain for Harley's and cruisers in general (I do like the XR1200 however). I think they are a waste of time and money, are a marketing scam, and the vast majority of riders who have owned one, and then moved on to a real bike can't believe they originally bought one.

Don't buy a cruiser, regardless of make. I mean, 1800cc and 100hp??? :confused: Floorboards that drag at 30 degrees of lean? :confused: A posture that kills your back (literally) :confused:

Now a Bandit, that is an OUTSTANDING bike!

There, I exercised my right to free speech. :D

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cruisers have their place IMO. I had the FZ6 then bought the cruiser later, because I wanted something different. Believe me I do understand the stereotypes that follow the "cruiser" people. I just don't feel I fall into the same category. :Flip:

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site

I actually have a "cruiser" already. Given the fact that I'm 25, I'm definitely more of a sport guy. So when I was in this situation last year looking for another bike, I decided to get a power/sport cruiser. I ended up getting a 1998 Honda Magna last year. (For those who aren't familiar with it)... It's a cruiser with a Honda inline-4 750 sport bike engine. I really like the bike, has lots of power, and almost handles like a sport bike... but there's just something missing. I don't know, can't put my finger on it. I will say, however, despite sitting in a more "comfortable" sitting position on the Magna, my back does get a lot more soar vs when I ride the FZ6 (Hellgate, I see your point on this, very, very much! Mexi-can't, I agree that cruisers have their place as well). Just right now, I think I'm more of a sport touring type of guy. Granted, I haven't spent a ton of time with a bigger V-twin cruiser, I did have quite a bit of fun test riding my neighbor's Honda VTX 1300 for about 20 min. Again though, after about 45 min. my back starts feeling the sitting position of having my legs extended forward (and my feet are not even near as far forward on the Magna as most the other cruisers out there).

So I did stop by the local Yamaha dealership today and sat on the FJR1300. I really, really liked it! May sound silly but the electronic adjustable windshield is a huge selling point for me. Here in Chicago mornings can be in the 40-50s and then jump up to 70-80s during the day (obviously hotter now that summer is coming). As I mentioned, I want good wind protection, but would love to be able to lower the screen if it's really hot outside.

I did sit on the FZ1 and the ergo's are definitely not as comfortable for my wife, or me for that matter. I really want a bike that will be super comfortable for the both of us on long rides.

So anyway, that's where I'm at. Really leaning towards the FJR1300, but would also really like to see what else is out there that is somewhat similar. There are a ton of BMW with all the nice touring features, but I'm not too familiar with the models so I'll just have to research them (feel free to recommend any). I would like to get something that's less than 8-10 years old. It seems like around 2003 a lot of bikes were updated and modernized to include fuel injection, better intrument clusters, etc.

Size wise, the FJR is about the max I can handle (or want to handle right now)... it's definitely not a small bike either. It does have an adjustable seat height that brings it down to 31.5" which is the same as the FZ6 (which is no problem for me).

Thanks for the input so far, and hopefully there will be more responses. :thumbup:

Here are some pics of my Magna...
IMG_5303.jpg

IMG_5304.jpg

IMG_5313.jpg

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now you tell us you already have a Magna! :D I'd jump on a Bandit if you find one cheap. Aside from the weight I don't have anything negative to say about the 1200. Check out Holeshot for some Bandit mods, dyno charts and videos. :thumbup:

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
Now you tell us you already have a Magna! :D

Yeah, left out that "small" detail huh ;)

Sorry, I totally forgot to mention it. Since I was so sport touring minded, I guess I didn't think cruisers would come up in this conversation. I also noticed it wasn't even listed as one of the bikes I owned under my name, so I just added it.

So again, love the Magna, great bike, but I just don't think I want a cruiser right now. I'm only 25 so I'm sure I'll revisit the cruiser idea sometime in the future.

Thanks Mexi-can't! :thumbup:

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
maybe you should look at something like and SV either 650 or 1000 being a twin they have more low end power . and if you want to go down the standard well try V-MAX that bike has more power than the normal rider can use anyway

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
check out an SV650N, the v-twin gives you plenty of low end torque and they still maintain some comfort to them. also it saves you from going the complete cruiser route.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
FJR FJR!

Don't sweat the size, once you are moving it dances very well!
I have 55K on my 04 and like it more everytime I ride it. Great bike for 2up with a Givi top case.
The ele. windshield is a great tool, along with ABS.
Be warned that you will be getting home late because it is so hard to turn back home and speeding tickets may be in your future as it loves to purr at 85mph or 140 if you have the road for it :)
Like I said, plenty of used ones out there and good deals are everywhere this year, find one with a YES, it can be transfered to the next owner. Lurk on the FJR forum for more info.

Wiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Just my opinion, you results may be different:

I've had 1100 Katana, 750 Honda, Concours, 650 V-Strom 1500, 1600 and 2000 V-twin cruisers and others. I'm new to the Fz6, but have been riding for almost 40 years now.

I suggest that you try to figure what it is that you want to do with this other bike. If you want something that does everything, like the fz, but it a completely different way, try a 650 V-Strom. It's a V-Twin, so has that bump-bump thing going on. As a 650 I felt it made good power, I never needed any more power, there were times when I wanted more, but never needed more. Plus, you can ride some of those gravel roads you might have wanted in the past but didn't because you didn't want to ding up your ride. If you want to tour, my wife and I found the V-Strom a capable companion on the road. But, a clean used Concours (2006 would be best) would probably be your best value for touring. It's definitely not a FJR, but much cheaper to buy, run and insure. It almost offers the same capabilities. I liked mine a lot, but didn't fit everything I wanted to do with a bike all the time. Either of these would be very different from your Fz6, and fun bikes in their own way.

Focus on what you want to do, then try to match the bike to that. Also, be aware that none of us, least none that I know of, buy a bike specifically for what we want them to do. There always is some inner reason, a desire, a need that doesn't really come from a need, it's a want. You need to respect the want. If you don't and buy something, you either won't be happy, or you won't own it long.

Just my (sorry) overly long .02 cents,

WIZ;)