This is very interesting...FZ8 for $6,400

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
As I am in the market, I saw this ad on cycletrader. I know Island Powersport and wonder if they are willing to do the FZ8 OTD for $6,400 plus tax.

FZ8

That is a fantastic price, unless I am missing something.

FZ8 is the new FZ6.

FZ6R is junk, IMO.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As I am in the market, I saw this ad on cycletrader. I know Island Powersport and wonder if they are willing to do the FZ8 OTD for $6,400 plus tax.

FZ8

FZ8 is the new FZ6.

FZ6R is junk, IMO.

Although I think that's a decent price the FZ1 would be my choice.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a great deal.
You just have to make sure you know all the costs you are going to pay. Could be a low price to get you in the door.

btw, of all the dealerships I visited last summer, I liked island powersports the best.. got treated like a customer there (I like that).

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
one of my buddies just picked up a new FZ8, he loves it and i am waiting to take it for a rip to get some real experience on it. For now, i am still looking to the FZ1 as my next bike.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Think about what an FZ8 is... Nearly the weight of an FZ1 with much less power... Either you buy an FZ6 or an FZ1.... Yamaha should have scaled the FZ6 up to make an FZ8... Instead they made a slow version of the FZ1... FZ8 is a serious "fail" in my opinion...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are okay with a second hand bike look for a FZ1. You should be able to find a nice late model bike for $5 to $6k. Other on the FZ8 Forum those guys are upgrading their 8s with FZ1 parts and talking about getting better performance out of their motors. May as well get a 1 and be done with. Insurance for the 1 is cheap, I paid my bill yesterday for this year, $212 full coverage, 100/300/50, $250 deductible.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a great deal, and it certainly is a sweet bike. But, like the others said, I think you would be better suited getting a low mileage used 08 or 09 FZ1.

If you were to compare and contrast the two bikes you would definitely come to the conclusion that the 8 really is a 1 with less power.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO the fz8 is kind of what took the place of the original fz6, so if you want something very close to your old fz6 then I'd say go for it! But I thought you were wanting to upgrade?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on all of the FZ8 not being much of an upgrade comments. i found i can get a new FZ1 OTD for around $9500 from my dealer, granted we ride with the manager all the time and most of our bikes were bought from him over the past 20-25 years. the FZ6R was meant to be more of a beginner bike than the regular FZ6, and since the performance difference between the two was too small, Yamaha introduced the FZ8. So, the FZ6 is like a half step between the 2 bikes. If you buy the '8 you'll be wishing you had the FZ1. and if you like the wind protection, the '8 doesn't have any, while the '1 does. Oh and the FZ1 has a 5 valve genesis motor which speaks for itself.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
fz6 = great, FZ8 = piece of crap! IMHO! If you wanna upgrade, go the mighty FZ1! FTW! :D

:rockon:

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site

FZ8

FZ8 is the new FZ6.

FZ6R is junk, IMO.

I will not express my opinion because I don't know enough to be informative, but this video is great.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcGKvXBuzCI]2011 Yamaha FZ8 Review - 8 is the New 6 - YouTube[/ame]

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't buy an FZ8 if it was the last bike on the shelf! This stop gap bike has been a sales failure worldwide, and ate being discounted the world over now! For good reason...it's a half baked parts bin special, that is neither better than its predecessor the FZ6, or a genuine partner to the much superior FZ1!

Keep the much cheaper, just as good, FZ6, or get the much better, in compromised FZ1, for not much more money!

Just MHO!

D

Dave.TX

I rarely see an FZ1 or FZ6 on the road, granted I've only been riding since last September. I have yet to see an FZ8. I see tons of CBR's, GSXR's and ZX's but they're nowhere near as practical as the sport-standards. The FZ8 has its place. So far very few people want it in their place. I'd have to agree, get a gently used FZ1 for the same price and get so much more bike.

It's my opinion that if Yamaha put adjustable suspension on this it would be moderately successful. Having more power, well, maybe or maybe not. As a street fighter right off the showroom floor, no, it doesn't hit that mark either. I hate to say it's a flop but it is.