Thinking of trading FZ6 for Ninja Z1000SX (sport tour) or FJ09 (MT09)

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I am considering trading in my beloved 2008 FZ06 for a 2015 FJ09 or a 2015 Ninja Z1000SX.

I ride 12 months of the year and find traction control, power select options, and ABS extremely luring. They are the features that caused me to start thinking about trading in my FZ6. The extra power for getting past a semi truck in a hop-skip-and jump (reasonable amount of time) is also desirable (don't have to shift down to forth and get the revs up to 8500-9000+ while going 120 KM/H+ and loaded with luggage) .

That said, I wonder if trading in my 2008 FZ06 for one of the options mentioned is really worth the extra cash. As a deal gets closer, I find myself wondering if I am I just being foolish and wanting something beyond what is necessary, or what I can get by with (need vs wants).

Out of the two newer bike options, I am leaning towards the 2015 Ninja Z1000SX. In my location of Canada, right now it is only $2000 more and feel it is a better value for the money when considering the bike differences. Also, I do a lot of city diving and feel the more nimble Ninja would better suited. Furthermore, I prefer the idea of an inline 4 over the 3 cylinder, especially for touring.

Why am I posting these thoughts/considerations. Well, I am curious if anyone else has been considering upgrading to a bigger bike and/or would like to share their 2 cents on the matter. Have you gone to a bigger or different bike and if so, why? Do you have any regrets?

I wish Yamaha created a FZ1 touring bike with typical features found standard on other models, like the Ninja/FJ09.

2015 Ninja Z1000SX
Canadian Kawasaki Motors Inc.

2015 FJ09
Yamaha Motor Canada :: Products :: Motorcycles and Scooters :: Sport :: 2015 FJ-09

kananaskis

Reaction score
Visit site
I was in a similar position. I have considered the Ninja, new Versys 1000 and the FJ09. I think Rider magazine had a shootout of the Versys, DL1000 and the FJ09 a couple months back and came to the conclusion that the Versys was the winner but everyone raved about the FJ's motor and fueling (considering it was the one major gripe about the FZ09 besides the suspension)...
The FJ has a brilliant motor and some features and possibilities that would make it a contender for me... I am also a fan of Yamaha over Kawi and Suzi generally... I love the long valve intervals (my FZ6 has 110000 km on it now and has had a couple valve inspects done and it has always been in spec)... The FJ has the ability to add the FJR luggage which adds a couple inches on the bags and allows a full face helmet (if you get the matte black you wont colour match I dont think but the red matches the FJR red so its all good)....
The Versys is a beast of a motor as it is the ninja motor with a different tune and some small changes... The traction control is nice and is getting good reviews... Although I love the looks and abilities of the Ninja I am not sure it would be more comfortable for the riding I do and the miles I put on when compared to the Versys which is a little taller and more roomy...
Overall, I would say that either bike would be a welcome upgrade to the FZ6 but just as you said, is it a want vs need thing... I dont think I can justify the upgrade yet since the FZ is owned and doesnt owe me a penny anymore and continues to run like a champ...
I leave in 4 days from Sarnia to head to Yellowknife NWT and then back to Calabogie (near Ottawa) for the superbike races in June and am confident with my FZ even with all the abuse I toss at her...
Good luck with the decision! Let us know what you choose to do...
Cheers
Doug

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to suggest the FZ1 until I saw you mention your reason for looking elsewhere, a la extra features. At this point, and it won't be for a number of years, that's an upgrade I'm highly considering.

My personal view that, while these things are all nice to have, if you know how to ride properly you're likely not going to need them much - if at all. Could be a grass is greener type thing. That being said - I don't think a change in your bike is necessarily bad, since it's kind of exciting and fun to sit on a new beast and learn all about it. I've heard very good things about the FZ09's engine characteristics, and since it's shared with the FJ - it would give me some confidence in that pick. If you want some torque and passing power, an i3 is going to give that to you in spades while keeping some of that smooth i4 characteristic.

I think it's worth adding that I don't ever see why people complain about a lack of pull and passing power on a number of bikes. With my FZ6, as soon as I twist the throttle it responds and starts to pull a lot - especially once you hit that 7K+ zone even in 6th gear. What you -could- do would be use a fuel controller of sorts and add some extra fuel into the high gear, mid range RPM areas and see what happens. A well dyno'd and mapped bike would probably make your FZ6 come alive again, at least to some extent.

Man, they really should have put an underseat exhaust on the FJ09. It'd be like the sleek, futuristic version of our bike almost.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Fj over the z1000 I was quite disappointed with my buddies z1000 as far as power goes

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You just missed the Yamaha Star Demo Trailer by a couple of days, I believe they were just in Burlington Wa this weekend. You could have ridden the FJ-09 on a group ride that last around 20-25 minutes, much better than those test rides at the dealership.

If you plan on riding everyday including riding in the rain, I would lean towards the FJ-09. It just seams it's suited for bad weather and you also have the option of taking it off road.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
The motor on the FJ is supposed to be an absolute beast. They tweaked the fuel mapping from the FZ09 and that instrument panel is just so nice. That bike should power wheelie through at least 2 gears when you get on it, so power is no problem. It's also got the features you're looking for and since it's a Yamaha, it should be priced well.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I retract my earlier statement, I was basing my response to my friends older z1000 I had rode but the 2015 has more power

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe I re-call reading the FJ has a speed limiter on it (probably doesn't matter) to again, I believe 115MPH.

I was just at the shop Saturday, sat on the FJ09 (seemed VERY light and absolutly NO windscreen). Seemed a bit taller than the FZ6 too.
An '14 FJR, and FZ1. All had very hard seats IMO, the FZ1, a but ugly tail and tiny pillion seat-useless.

The FJR price was dropped to $12,500(plus tax, etc), about $3k. Tempting...

But, I love my FZ6. Its already farkled out, no speed limiter, some windscreen, no linked brakes, no ABS, and not nearly as complicated as the FJR.

The FZ still has its spot in the garage...

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode an FZ1 because I also thought I wanted a bigger bike (well, more power, at least). I found the FZ1 did have more power, but it was also geared taller so the acceleration didn't feel as ridiculous in top gear as the numbers would have you believe. In lower gears it would really rip and put you into illegal speeds very quickly. This wasn't fun to me. I liked being able to wring out the FZ6. The heavier clutch, single high exhaust, and uncomfortable seat of the FZ1 sealed the deal that I didn't want one.

ABS became alluring to me as well when I wrecked my FZ6 when I locked up the rear tire due to inexperience. ABS probably would have saved my bacon that time, but in general I find the brakes on the FZ6 adequate. I'm a fair weather rider, however, so I don't really need ABS for when it rains.

Not sure why you think the Ninja would be more nimble. It's a heavier bike than the FZ6 with more rotating mass in the engine. Maybe its suspension is superior to the Fizzer's, but there are things you can do to make the FZ6 handle better: R1 rear shock, R6 front forks.

If you want more power everywhere in the rev range, consider dropping a tooth in the front sprocket. I haven't done it myself, but I've read a lot of opinions that it's just what the bike needs to wake up. You'll still have plenty of top end - just prepare for slightly higher revs on the highway.

There are always other bikes that will beat the FZ6 in certain areas, but I find that the FZ6 has the most "area under the curve" which makes it one of the best out there.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I would go with the FJ. That engine is so awesome! Torque on tap all the time. It gets some pretty killer MPG considering the power you can get out of it. My FZ09 gets 45-47MPG even with the exhaust & tune at 70MPH.

I have a crush on the 1K Versys, beautiful bike. But if you think hitting the twisties once in a while... the FJ should be a better bike.

One last thing.... [emoji6]
62e71ffcb5ed4f7349a3ee44e91d5124.jpg

Ultrarandom

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you looked into the GSR750 at all? (I think it's called GSKS750 or something like that overseas)
Haven't gotten round to testing one myself but I've heard plenty of good things about them, if the GSR600 is anything to go off then it should be an amazing bike with that little bit of extra power and still an |4 but not over the top power for the streets like a litre bike.

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't believe someone is even considering this lol. Definitely the FJ09! I mean it's a triple? The gorgeous sound it makes, the torque. Skinnier bike. Heated grips factory option, luggage also factor option. Hand guards, all of the electronics. Roughly 50 lbs more than the Fz6 with more power, quite a bit more torque and much more capable bike.

To me when they released the FJ09, it was everything the people with Fz6's and Fz1's that turned them into sport touring bikes, wanted.

Also true that the Ninja 1K is a nice bike, a guy in my local bike club has one and loves it. It's a bit different from FJ09. The FJ09 is definitely more touring oriented. If you primarily do city riding, I guess the Ninja would benefit you. However if you primarily do city riding, why are you considering the FJ09?(scratches head)?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm leaning towards a BMW for the next bike. The R1200R, it's the naked roadster version of the GS. Like you say, as an all year rider I'm very attracted to the electronic wizardry, traction control, abs, etc. It's also got shaft drive (which I really like, as I finish a chain and sprockets every year) and a big fuel tank (which I find lacking on a lot of other new bikes, and I need for a 90 mile round trip commute). The 2014 model and lower has a telelever front end, which is supposed to be very stable in bad road/weather conditions on the corners, but the 2015 is styled much better, with a conventional USD front end. The only problem may be price, and that boxer twin, which I'm attracted to generally, may take some getting used to.

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and ideas on this topic. I still have not decided what I am going to do for sure, but for a $2000 difference, I leaning towards the Ninja.

*The suspension is better on the Ninja, and I prefer a stiffer ride.
*I can sit flat footed on Ninja whereas I cannot on the FJ. I am on my tiptoes with the FJ . The lowest seat setting on the FJ is 1" higher.
*It is my understanding, that I can switch power modes while riding the Ninja whereas I cannot with the FJ. You must come to a full stop on the FJ and then change modes. This would be frustrating while touring and wanting to change modes as a result of driving conditions changing. City driving wouldn't make much of a difference, since a person is stopping and going all of the time.
*I like the full fairing bike more than an half fairing. That said, they are both great looking bikes, except for the FJ's rear end
*The brakes on the 2015 Ninja are really efficient. Reviews that I have watched comment about how easy they are to apply and how efficient they are in stopping .
*The better gas mileage with the FJ is an area where the Ninja loses some points, but riding style can minimize or maximize this difference to some degree.
*Gear indicator and bigger LCD screen on the FJ are really nice--easier to read. So, the Ninja loses some points here too.
*I could be wrong about this, but I believe an inline 4 is better for heavier touring conditions than an inline 3
*There are currently options from GIVI for a 3 hard bag setup for the Ninja, but there isn't anything yet for the FJ. Buying GIVI options are cheaper than options from either manufacture.

There are other amazing bikes, like the 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200s. The bike itself is amazing, but so is its sticker price.
Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Ducati

Seriously though, I have looked at other bikes, besides the two mentioned above. The Ninja and FJ stick out the most given my price range and their featured options as new.

Anyway, that is where I stand as of now. Now I have to decide if I am willing to separate from my FZ6, and how I will do it if I go for it. Like, would it be better to trade it in or sale it privately stripped down and/or to sale it privately with many of the aftermarket extras. I know I can sell it privately for more, but I think returning it to stock and trading it in will return the most amount of money back to me, since I will be able to sale all of the aftermarket accessories separately and privately.

Thanks for reading

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and ideas on this topic. I still have not decided what I am going to do for sure, but for a $2000 difference, I leaning towards the Ninja.

*The suspension is better on the Ninja, and I prefer a stiffer ride.
*I can sit flat footed on Ninja whereas I cannot on the FJ. I am on my tiptoes with the FJ . The lowest seat setting on the FJ is 1" higher.
*It is my understanding, that I can switch power modes while riding the Ninja whereas I cannot with the FJ. You must come to a full stop on the FJ and then change modes. This would be frustrating while touring and wanting to change modes as a result of driving conditions changing. City driving wouldn't make much of a difference, since a person is stopping and going all of the time.
*I like the full fairing bike more than an half fairing. That said, they are both great looking bikes, except for the FJ's rear end
*The brakes on the 2015 Ninja are really efficient. Reviews that I have watched comment about how easy they are to apply and how efficient they are in stopping .
*The better gas mileage with the FJ is an area where the Ninja loses some points, but riding style can minimize or maximize this difference to some degree.
*Gear indicator and bigger LCD screen on the FJ are really nice--easier to read. So, the Ninja loses some points here too.
*I could be wrong about this, but I believe an inline 4 is better for heavier touring conditions than an inline 3
*There are currently options from GIVI for a 3 hard bag setup for the Ninja, but there isn't anything yet for the FJ. Buying GIVI options are cheaper than options from either manufacture.

There are other amazing bikes, like the 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200s. The bike itself is amazing, but so is its sticker price.
Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Ducati

Seriously though, I have looked at other bikes, besides the two mentioned above. The Ninja and FJ stick out the most given my price range and their featured options as new.

Anyway, that is where I stand as of now. Now I have to decide if I am willing to separate from my FZ6, and how I will do it if I go for it. Like, would it be better to trade it in or sale it privately stripped down and/or to sale it privately with many of the aftermarket extras. I know I can sell it privately for more, but I think returning it to stock and trading it in will return the most amount of money back to me, since I will be able to sale all of the aftermarket accessories separately and privately.

Thanks for reading

When I went to the track for my first track day, the instructor made jokes that Ducati's have a lot of troubles/mechanical issues even though he had 3 of them.
I'm just saying, I can say things about cars, but bike, not so soon. I like your research, and ninja vs fj.
http://rigsville.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/6258.jpg?ver=2
I like the bike in this picture. Can you try both the bikes for around half hour each at least? get the feel of them.!
BTW, dibs on your LV's ;-)

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
*It is my understanding, that I can switch power modes while riding the Ninja whereas I cannot with the FJ. You must come to a full stop on the FJ and then change modes. This would be frustrating while touring and wanting to change modes as a result of driving conditions changing.

This is not correct. I rode the FZ09 at a demo days and you could change the setting on the fly. I cannot imagine they would dis-improve this for the touring version of the same engine.

...wondering if it was the Kawasaki sales guy that provided this insight. :eek:

I agree with your comment about the tail end of the FJ. But the engine and the rest of the bike is wonderful.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden both bikes for a total of about 1 hour each (2-3 demos on each one.. I think).

FJ09 is excellent and everyone knows the "good". I found the following items to be the "not so good":

1. Fueling is still off, especially in A-mode. It's loads better than original FZ09 was, but there's still a good bit of throttle snatch.

2. Passenger foot pegs are much too close to main pegs. My Sidis are 11.5 and there is no way for me to ride on my toes.. not even on the balls of my feet. Heals bottom out on passenger pegs, forcing a feet-too-far-forward position. Obviously not an issue if you have smaller feet.

3. Single low beam. I ride in the dark quite a bit and my FZ1 (dual low beam stock) puts out infinitely more light than FZ6 did.. much wider and more uniform pattern. To me this is very important.
Of course there are mods for this, but short of projector retrofit, you won't get a perfect low beam from the high-beam-only designated side.

As for the Ninja.. I don't really have anything negative to say about it. It feels very much like my FZ1, but does come with modern features like ABS and adjustable screen.

If it was down to those 2 bikes for me, I'd have to go with the Ninja.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FJ-09 is the Tracer in our market and I have had a good look at it, I'd buy it just because it's a Yamaha 3 cylinder but I'm not very scientific, I bought my 2004 FZ6 because my wife liked the look of it and I still have it, no regrets.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Fueling is still off, especially in A-mode.
I feel dumb, I don't understand what you just said there.

Anyway, is there a change in gear shifting compared to FZ6 or FZ6 is the only bike with hard shifting/rough clutch?

Jayson

Reaction score
Visit site
DO IT!!! I just made exactly the switch you are talking about. I can on tonight to post so parts I swapped out for sale and say your post at the top of my list.

I am also in Canada, BC specifically. I bought a 2015 Ninja 1000 from Burnaby Kawasaki and sold my 2008 FZ6 to my nephew. The Ninja is everything I wanted my FZ to be. The only thing the FZ does better is wind protection and that could be either the zero gravity windscreen I put on the Ninja or the fact that I now spend way too much time at higher than acceptable speeds.

The FZ makes good power, just like others have said, but the Ninja makes torque everywhere, 50kph to insane speed is infinitely easy. The suspension is good right out of the box, and will be better once adjusted or modified. The brakes are almost track ready and the abs and traction control make doing silly things in the rain a little less silly.

I love this bike!! I've had several super sports, multiple street bikes and 2 race bikes. This bike is more fun than anything short of my race bike, and it's faster!!
Hands down the best street bike I have ever ridden, buy it, you won't be sorry!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk