Thinking of selling my FZ6...Need honest input

brufz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I might sell for FZ6. It is a cobalt blue 2008 with only 500 miles. I have added Scorpion cans, fender elimintor kit, and an FZ1N headlight kit so it's a streetfighter. There is no front fairing. The mods are about $1000.00 not including labor. The bike is flawless except for a very small paint chip on the tank that I touched up with factory paint. I also have a small bottle of Yamaha factory paint. What is a fair price? Is $5999.95 too much since they don't make this bike any more and all the mods and low miles? I will probably post it for sale in a week because I am leaving for the beach tomorrow.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
KBB value on that bike is $4785 but given you have almost no miles and expensive mods you should get more.

2008 Yamaha FZ6 Motorcycle Retail Value & Price - Kelley Blue Book

The trouble with selling a modded bike is you may not find a buyer who is going to give you full value for the amount you have spent modding it. Alot of guys put the bike back to stock before selling it and sell off the mod parts separately.

Good luck with your sale

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say your a bit high, my guess would be to start out around 5400 and go from there. Also factor in do you still have your stock fairing or did you go naked because of a drop? If that is the case you are going to lose a bit more on the bike even with the scorps/headlight on it.

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
KBB is ok but NADAguides.com is the pricing used by insurance, dmv, and lending companies. They have the average retail price with performance exhaust and windscreen fairing (fz1n) listed at $5232 and low retail at $4030

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
A 2008 with only 500 miles on it is a shame. Agree with what others have said, many potential buyers don't want a modded bike as it usually doesn't match what they want. I steer away from modded bikes as I find they ofter have 'issues' and I don't need someone elses problems. That isn't always the case, but that is my experience. I would suggest you put it back to stock as much as possible and part out the goodies separately. Have you done oil changes? Even though you only have 500 miles it needs its oil changed as the bike has some age on it. It was probably built at the end of 2007, so it is 2 1/2 years old already.

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
I always go by what they are selling new. Here in the Mpls/St.Paul area, there are a few dealers selling new 2009 FZ6's yet. I bought mine this spring for $4999. He still has a few left and has dropped the price to $4699. Used 2009 FZ6's are selling for about the same price in my area and most are just not selling for their asking price when the dealers have great deals on new left-overs.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna parrot what some of the others are saying, return it to stock if you can and sell the mods separately.

I don't know about others, but when I'm shoping for something modified raises several red flags. Has it been abused, did the person doing the mods know what they are doing, and the biggest one it's been F*^cked with. Which most of the time will turn me away.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on returning the bike back to stock. Sell your aftermarket products/ mods since you'll never get their value back if selling with the bike.

BTW... $5,999 is far too much for a 2 year old used bike. Sure, it's in very nice shape, but it's still a used bike. For comparison, I took delivery of my 2008 Raven FZ6 in August of 2008 for $6,420 OTD. It had zero miles, a full factory warranty, and was a current year model product.

I think $4,500- $4,800 would be a good target range selling price for you.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
You said honest. So here goes.
Most buyers would like to buy in stock form, for the most part.

In Feb. 2010, I bought a stock 2008 FZ6 with 5032 miles on it for $4200.. It came with an extended warranty, good till 2014. The dealership where it was purchased has transferred the warranty to me.

If your bike is sharp, $4400.-$4800.

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
It's kind of what I experienced, (to my favor), last summer: Before I bought my Fazer, last summer I was in a local Honda shop. They had a big, used Honda there that belonged to the owner. I had been looking at it, but they didn't know it. I was talking to a salesman about another bike, (new), and trades. He made the mistake of saying: "Modifications to a bike do NOT add to the price of the bike. That's just money gone.....money wasted. Dealers go strictly by the book value of the same bike."
(I filed that away for future reference!)
Later that day, after I had ridden the bigger used Honda, (which had a really mean vibration in it that I hated), when we were wheeling-dealing he went through a five minute spill of all the options that he had installed and how it totalled to be about $2400.00 worth of extras! I looked down at him and said, "Yeah, but you know what they say: Extras do not add to the value of a bike!!!" Gosh he looked at me like, "I hate you!" Needless to say I did not deal with them and they went out of business that same year. Whatever happens, good luck to you. (Someone will get a great bike I'm sure)

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Check on craigslist and ebay. There are websites that will do a massive search on all local craigslist's. This will give you some idea of what your bike is selling for. Not what it's worth, but what buyers are paying.
There's a difference. (The latter is usually lower :( )
Here's a start:

2008 fz6 on SearchTempest

I used Scranton (from The Office) as the Penn. zip :D

jazond

KneeDragger in training
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I might sell for FZ6. It is a cobalt blue 2008 with only 500 miles. I have added Scorpion cans, fender elimintor kit, and an FZ1N headlight kit so it's a streetfighter. There is no front fairing. The mods are about $1000.00 not including labor. The bike is flawless except for a very small paint chip on the tank that I touched up with factory paint. I also have a small bottle of Yamaha factory paint. What is a fair price? Is $5999.95 too much since they don't make this bike any more and all the mods and low miles? I will probably post it for sale in a week because I am leaving for the beach tomorrow.

I bought my 09 new from the dealer a year ago and got to watch them uncrate it for me for that price. If you can, turn it back into stock. Part that sucker out.

On re-sell, mods that are installed are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. And with as cheap as these bikes are getting at the dealerships, I dont think many people are going to be willing to pay for them.

Just my 2c.