New member, need some advice

FIZSIX

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, new member here. I have a few questions for you guys if you dont mind. I recently purchased a 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (red) with 5k miles for $4,000 not including tax, tags, and title. Im a soldier currently deployed and didnt get a chance to view the bike in person, I have seen pictures and the bike looks brand new (other than some scratches on the right fairing from a non-rolling lay down) I also requested for the company to send me a video of it running and revving and all seems well.

My first questions to yall is, what do you think of the price, considering the amount of miles, bikes condition etc. My second question is do you think I chose a good year going with the 2006? From my understanding it is fuel injected which is good but doesnt have the newer instrument panel, ABS, improved swingarm, etc. I have also heard some complaints about the stock Dunlops that are on this bike, anything I should be aware of?

Im also already planning a bunch of upgrades/mods if yall could be so kind to point me in the right direction I would greatly preciate it. Considering I dont make much money at all, I would like to start with some quick, easy and inexpensive mods such as, eliminating the stock rear fender bringing in the rear turn signals closer to the plate. I also really like the look of the red rim strip if someone could let me know of a place that makes a quality product that would be great. I'm also considering removing the stock exhaust heat shield and painting it black untill I can find a set of affordable Scorpion Red power slip-ons. What would be a good flat black paint to use on this that will last and not scratch and or chip (might paint the forks and the radiator brackets the same color).

I would also like to slightly lower and push forward the handle bars for a more sportier look, is there something I can do before I save enough for a black set of FZ1 bars? I would also like the FZ1 handle bar clamp if anyone knows a place i could get a good price on that. I dont know what they are called but I would also like to add gas tank stick-on pads on the side for my knees, preferably ones that would match the one that came with my bike.

I would also like to bring the headers back to the new shiny stainless steel look, is this possible? If so how about using something like Mothers polish? Continuing thread ran out of text room... :D

FIZSIX

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also, I would also, I would also.... LOL :BLAA:

If anyone is interested in selling a seat cowl, lower belly pain fairing, or slip on exhaust for a decent price please email me.

A little about me, This is my first bike and I'm extremely excited been wanting to do this since I was a kid. My father got me and my brother a Mini-bike when I was a kid and I fell in love with riding. I have a little dirt bike experience but not much. From what I have read the FZ6 is a decent starter bike because it is a versatile bike, and its a bike you don't necessarily grow out of quickly considering it has that nice R6 motor.

I'm looking forward to being a active member here and looking forward to hearing from yall experienced riders.

Thank you

FIZSIX

Reaction score
Visit site
21971.JPG

21971%20(1).JPG

21971%20(2).JPG

21971%20(3).JPG

21971%20(4).JPG

21971%20(5).JPG

21971%20(6).JPG

21971%20(7).JPG

21971%20(8).JPG

21971%20(9).JPG

21971%20(10).JPG

21971%20(11).JPG

21971%20(12).JPG

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best MC forum on the WWW. You'll find a great group of people here.
Thank you for your service!

If that bike is in decent shape that's not a bad price for for a bike with those miles. If you're getting it from a dealer the price is always going to be higher than a private sale.

Take your time and search the forum for lots of info and insight on repairs and trouble shooting should that arise.

The FZ6 is one of the best bikes ever made.

Our forum motto is ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time.

mrmaldo616

Reaction score
Visit site
i just bought a 2009 fz6 8000 miles this year 4700 previous owned a 2005 r6 i use to like the r6 looks better but something about the fz6 drew me in and i get more compliments on the fz6 more comfortable i love it i just recently bought a scorpion slip on set for $550 on nicecycle.com free shipping was at my door in 2 days exactly what i ordered my favorite bike when i trade or sell next i will be going for the fz1

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Buy low, sell high. :thumbup:

Looks clean but as a retired 1SG I can tell you wait until you get home. Look at it in person and don't shoot what you have now. There is always another...just like girls.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, new member here. I have a few questions for you guys if you dont mind. I recently purchased a 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (red) with 5k miles for $4,000 not including tax, tags, and title. Im a soldier currently deployed and didnt get a chance to view the bike in person, I have seen pictures and the bike looks brand new (other than some scratches on the right fairing from a non-rolling lay down) I also requested for the company to send me a video of it running and revving and all seems well.

My first questions to yall is, what do you think of the price, considering the amount of miles, bikes condition etc. My second question is do you think I chose a good year going with the 2006? From my understanding it is fuel injected which is good but doesnt have the newer instrument panel, ABS, improved swingarm, etc. I have also heard some complaints about the stock Dunlops that are on this bike, anything I should be aware of?

Im also already planning a bunch of upgrades/mods if yall could be so kind to point me in the right direction I would greatly preciate it. Considering I dont make much money at all, I would like to start with some quick, easy and inexpensive mods such as, eliminating the stock rear fender bringing in the rear turn signals closer to the plate. I also really like the look of the red rim strip if someone could let me know of a place that makes a quality product that would be great. I'm also considering removing the stock exhaust heat shield and painting it black untill I can find a set of affordable Scorpion Red power slip-ons. What would be a good flat black paint to use on this that will last and not scratch and or chip (might paint the forks and the radiator brackets the same color).

I would also like to slightly lower and push forward the handle bars for a more sportier look, is there something I can do before I save enough for a black set of FZ1 bars? I would also like the FZ1 handle bar clamp if anyone knows a place i could get a good price on that. I dont know what they are called but I would also like to add gas tank stick-on pads on the side for my knees, preferably ones that would match the one that came with my bike.

I would also like to bring the headers back to the new shiny stainless steel look, is this possible? If so how about using something like Mothers polish? Continuing thread ran out of text room... :D

You can bring the headers back to new with alot of elbow grease, Mothers works fine. I've never used steel wool, etc, just polish and elbow grease. This in my 07 with 14,000 miles on the clock:

BTW, thank you for serving!!!

+1 on waiting until you get home. If the bike sat with a half full tank of fuel, the tank tends to rust inside causing other problems. At the very least, have an independant mechanic check it out.

I thought the front fender came painted the same as the tank but I may be wrong...

Also, the 3rd picture from the bottum, the inner black fairing appears to be cracked/have a hole in it.

The inner fairing, fender and front nose piece(under the aftermarket windshield) May have been re-painted gloss black causing the appearance of being broke.. The right rear pod (just below the the seat) also appears to be scratched. Looking closer, that black inner front fairing, half of it appears to be missing, It appears I can see the main fairing stay (it supports the whole front end), I may be wrong, anyone else?

The right side peg "feeler" is definitly missing, the left one is there...

Not to nit pick, just make you aware....

Last edited:

FIZSIX

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best MC forum on the WWW. You'll find a great group of people here.
Thank you for your service!

If that bike is in decent shape that's not a bad price for for a bike with those miles. If you're getting it from a dealer the price is always going to be higher than a private sale.

Take your time and search the forum for lots of info and insight on repairs and trouble shooting should that arise.

The FZ6 is one of the best bikes ever made.

Our forum motto is ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time.

Thank you Sir for the warm welcome. :thumbup:

FIZSIX

Reaction score
Visit site
i just bought a 2009 fz6 8000 miles this year 4700 previous owned a 2005 r6 i use to like the r6 looks better but something about the fz6 drew me in and i get more compliments on the fz6 more comfortable i love it i just recently bought a scorpion slip on set for $550 on nicecycle.com free shipping was at my door in 2 days exactly what i ordered my favorite bike when i trade or sell next i will be going for the fz1

Hey congrats on the new acquirement. I as well always wanted a R6 and love how they look and ride but the FZ6 is a much more practical bike with all the R6 features you need and non of the ones you dont. For a 2009 I believe you paid a good price considering the '09 comes with some nicer features then the others such as improved front fender, R6 monoblock brakes, improved swingarm, improved instrument panel, improved footpegs etc. Congrats. You know I might have to pick up a Scorpion exhuast from Nicecycle too, not a bad price. At the moment im debating between Scorpion or TwoBrothers, only time and price will tell. i really like the FZ1 too, who knows one day I might have the honors. :D

FIZSIX

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy low, sell high. :thumbup:

Looks clean but as a retired 1SG I can tell you wait until you get home. Look at it in person and don't shoot what you have now. There is always another...just like girls.

You know what Top, I couldn't agree more, but unfortunately I made the purchase already. I know I shouldn't have but I was all excited and did a impulse buy. Who knows I might get lucky and have me a keeper. Only time will tell. Considering I'm a mechanic I should be ok though, worst case scenario it has a cracked frame, or motor. But I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

FIZSIX

Reaction score
Visit site
You can bring the headers back to new with alot of elbow grease, Mothers works fine. I've never used steel wool, etc, just polish and elbow grease. This in my 07 with 14,000 miles on the clock:

BTW, thank you for serving!!!

+1 on waiting until you get home. If the bike sat with a half full tank of fuel, the tank tends to rust inside causing other problems. At the very least, have an independant mechanic check it out.

I thought the front fender came painted the same as the tank but I may be wrong...

Also, the 3rd picture from the bottum, the inner black fairing appears to be cracked/have a hole in it.

The inner fairing, fender and front nose piece(under the aftermarket windshield) May have been re-painted gloss black causing the appearance of being broke.. The right rear pod (just below the the seat) also appears to be scratched. Looking closer, that black inner front fairing, half of it appears to be missing, It appears I can see the main fairing stay (it supports the whole front end), I may be wrong, anyone else?

The right side peg "feeler" is definitly missing, the left one is there...

Not to nit pick, just make you aware....

Hey thanks for the feedback! Now them there are some nice headers :D Im somewhat of a firearm armorer and when I learned about Mothers Polish, I became addicted with polishing stuff, I kid you not, I am well aware of the hard work of some good ol fasion elbow grease (mirror like lol)

Anyways, as far as the front fairing goes this bike is a 2006 model and has the older front fairing/fender. The front fender is larger and features the two tone look and older instrument panel. The front fender is painted black, the 2007-2009 have the front fender that matches body color. The 2006 also has the black tail where as the 2007-2009 have the matching body color (looks better that way too).

Yeah the bike was layed down once, but considering its my 1st bike I'm not to concerned about a few scratches, might add some myself.

You mentioned something about a peg feeler? Im sorry but I dont know what that is please explain.

Now as far as the fuel tank goes, Im glad you brought that up, good point. I didn't take that into consideration, I'll be emailing the company tomorrow and have them inspect that for me. I can see that being a big problem if not addressed. This is why I am here, for good feedback such as this.

Thank you

FIZSIX

Reaction score
Visit site
You mentioned something about a peg feeler? Im sorry but I dont know what that is please explain.

Ah, I see what your talking about, another good call. Hmm how do you think this happened? From the fall maybe, or possibly during a nice knee dragging turn? Is it serious enough for me to have them replace it?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, I see what your talking about, another good call. Hmm how do you think this happened? From the fall maybe, or possibly during a nice knee dragging turn? Is it serious enough for me to have them replace it?

IMHO, I'd have them put one on, the other one is there, its designed to rub the pavement (semi protect the foot peg) when leaning far into a turn. You have to go pretty far to rub it but it gives you a "warning" how far over you are before really hard parts touch the ground. It'll wear down with ALOT of dragging.. Your pretty much "leaned out" to the limit at that point.

It's going to be pretty cheap as well, it just threads into the bottum of the foot peg (unless it got ripped out, then you'll probably need the aluminum part-with the threads).

Could have gotten pulled out from a fall, vibrated out (not as likely as the others still there).

As for the header, you have to keep after it fairly regularly but it looks sooo good when done...

I'm getting ready to put a front "Fenda Extenda" on (ordered it) next week to help keep crap off the header and myself. Had one before on my FJR, they fit very well and work pretty good too.