Thinking of buying 2008 FZ6

eeyore

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there, im looking at a 2008 FZ6 with only 6000 kms on it and have a couple questions.

1. Whats the RPM at say 60 mph with stock gearing and with +1F -1R?

2. Is the bottom end torque really that bad as some people make it out to be? Being winter here i have no option to test ride.

A long time ago i owned a 1986 Yamaha Maxim X 750 and that had a peaky power curve. Redlined at 10k and power didnt come on until around 6k. I suspect the same sort of thing from the FZ6? They have similar power numbers. I do realize the Fazer redlines at a higher (14k) rpm.

BTW im 6'4" and 210 lbs. Think i will fit?

Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there, im looking at a 2008 FZ6 with only 6000 kms on it and have a couple questions.

1. Whats the RPM at say 60 mph with stock gearing and with +1F -1R?

2. Is the bottom end torque really that bad as some people make it out to be? Being winter here i have no option to test ride.

A long time ago i owned a 1986 Yamaha Maxim X 750 and that had a peaky power curve. Redlined at 10k and power didnt come on until around 6k. I suspect the same sort of thing from the FZ6? They have similar power numbers. I do realize the Fazer redlines at a higher (14k) rpm.

BTW im 6'4" and 210 lbs. Think i will fit?

Thanks!

With stock gearing, exactly(true speed) 48MPH is right at 4,000 RPM's.

Power is on the low side in the lower RPM range and really wakens up at say 6k plus.. Its really not bad.

I'm about 200lbs as well, the speed limit max around here is 55 MPH (a little over 4K RPM's in 6th) and the bike is very happy and pulls strong in top gear at that speed. Running at 60MPH is not an issue. Many folks here do cross country, highway trips at speeds (and RPM's) WELL ABOVE that..

In short, IMO, its NOT an issue. Downshift a click or two if you need to get her rolling quickly...

Weight wise, not an issue. 6'4", damn near anything, your going to be tight... The FZ has more leg room than my old Kawaski ZRX 1100 and a bit more comfy.

+1 up front will lower the overall RPMs of course but at appox 500 RPM's at that speed. It'll also hamper acceleration as well. I personally like the stock gearing, its about the best of both worlds.... It'll still power wheelie easily in first gear and run good at the higher speeds..

Last edited:

eeyore

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the excellent reply! Some great info there. Exactly what i was looking for. I made a booboo about the gearing! I meant -1F +1R.

I dont do much highway travel. I was curious about the RPMs at highway speed in case i lowered the gearing.

:)

GhengisT

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I picked my '05 FZ6 about 4 months ago and have logged close to 5K miles on it. After owning 600s, 1000s, GSXR-1300, I went bike-less for a few years before acquiring a Ninja500 as a project. Sold that and the same day, saw this beautiful FZ6 online at a nearby dealer. I'm a very aggressive rider, 5'11 @ 245lbs w/ gear

What I love about the FZ6:
  • Happy with Low/Mid RPMs
  • Still screams up top
  • Looks fantastic w/ the undertail exhaust
  • Great mileage, and looong maintenance intervals
  • Classified as a standard instead of supersport, so thats big insurance savings for me

What I dislike about the FZ6
  • Suspension
  • It's wide. I lane split a lot and I'm constantly trying to remove other's mirrors
  • It steers like a dirtbike/dualsport

Stock gearing w/ a 530 chain is a great balance, wouldn't call the low-end bossy, but it putts you around a parking lot and lane splits with ease. Highway RPMs hover around 50% throttle @ indicated 83 mph (believe that's about 75/76mph). The bike is a gem if you're into to standard bike thing, has plenty of go when you need it, but it's not like the devil on your shoulder begging you to go faster like most crotch rockets I've owned. It really enjoys a steady cruise.

Since I bought mine, I've switched to SS braided brake line & quality EBC HH pads. Added a K&N, Two Bros exhaust, and Two Bros Juicebox/Power commander, fitted with Dunlop Q3 tires. I'll be installing new Race Tech fork springs and thicker fork oil this weekend to fix the dive issue and next month taking it to the track for the first time.

Hope this helps!

eeyore

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for another great reply. A buddy of mine is selling a 2005 Model and i went and had a look at it. I know of a 2008 model with half the kms for just $300 more so i think i will go that route. I have read that the 2008 model has some nice upgrades including the very important analog tachometer.

The bike seemed to fit ok but i will prob put some sort of highway pegs on it to allow for some leg repositioning. I sat on a FZ09 and a ER6n today at a dealer and i think the FZ6 fits me better. The FZ09 pegs seemed to be much farther back compared to the FZ6.

ZeusArmor | Racing Stuntriding Cruiser Motorcycle Bike Parts | Honda Kawasaki Suzuki Yamaha

I was looking at these online. Anyone with any experience with them?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I picked my '05 FZ6 about 4 months ago and have logged close to 5K miles on it. After owning 600s, 1000s, GSXR-1300, I went bike-less for a few years before acquiring a Ninja500 as a project. Sold that and the same day, saw this beautiful FZ6 online at a nearby dealer. I'm a very aggressive rider, 5'11 @ 245lbs w/ gear

What I love about the FZ6:
  • Happy with Low/Mid RPMs
  • Still screams up top
  • Looks fantastic w/ the undertail exhaust
  • Great mileage, and looong maintenance intervals
  • Classified as a standard instead of supersport, so thats big insurance savings for me

What I dislike about the FZ6
  • Suspension
  • It's wide. I lane split a lot and I'm constantly trying to remove other's mirrors
  • It steers like a dirtbike/dualsport

Stock gearing w/ a 530 chain is a great balance, wouldn't call the low-end bossy, but it putts you around a parking lot and lane splits with ease. Highway RPMs hover around 50% throttle @ indicated 83 mph (believe that's about 75/76mph). The bike is a gem if you're into to standard bike thing, has plenty of go when you need it, but it's not like the devil on your shoulder begging you to go faster like most crotch rockets I've owned. It really enjoys a steady cruise.

Since I bought mine, I've switched to SS braided brake line & quality EBC HH pads. Added a K&N, Two Bros exhaust, and Two Bros Juicebox/Power commander, fitted with Dunlop Q3 tires. I'll be installing new Race Tech fork springs and thicker fork oil this weekend to fix the dive issue and next month taking it to the track for the first time.

Hope this helps!

FWIW: Tire choice really matters. If you have a tire you like AND its new, try this.

- If you want it to tip in quicker / fall in for you - raise the forks through the top triple. Move a little and ride a lot to test and EVALUATE! Start at like 4mm and go from there. At 6mm you should be able to tell a noticeable difference.

I wouldn't go past 12mm, as XXX speeds **may be** compromised. i.e. unstable/speed wobble when the nose is light....