Thinking of an FZ6 (or FZ6R)

Put few miles on FZ6 last night.
I can tell you that foot pegs actually vibrate MORE than on Ninja 250 (especially if you tuck heels in and push against rearsets). Handlebar vibrates LESS.
I used layover images to get an idea of seating position difference (though I used 07 Ninja for mine). I can create one for you if you think it will be helpful.

Put few miles on FZ6 last night.
I can tell you that foot pegs actually vibrate MORE than on Ninja 250 (especially if you tuck heels in and push against rearsets). Handlebar vibrates LESS.
I used layover images to get an idea of seating position difference (though I used 07 Ninja for mine). I can create one for you if you think it will be helpful.

Not a bad idea. Can you do one with the '08 250R and FZ6? If not, I can play around with Photoshop to get an idea.

It's seems odd that a I4 has more vibration than a small twin. So much for conventional logic.

Tim

Doesn't look like you'll gain any more room when it comes to seat / bar distance. About the same legroom too, you'll just be higher off the ground.
Sounds like you'd almost certainly want to go with FZ1 handlebar to give you more room.

250vsfz6.jpg

that's pretty cool. just curious. could you do the same thing for a ninja 250 and an fz6r? i read guys on here saying they have to start out on the 6r because they're too big to start off on the 250. it would be interesting to actually see the difference.

Doesn't look like you'll gain any more room when it comes to seat / bar distance. About the same legroom too, you'll just be higher off the ground.
Sounds like you'd almost certainly want to go with FZ1 handlebar to give you more room.

Wow, that is too cool! It does look as if I won't gain much room although the bars being higher may help keep me from slouching.

Tim

My first bike was a 2007 Ninja 250 - bought new in December 07. I put 8,000 miles on it and bought a 2004 FZ6 in Feb. FZ6 had 2,800 miles on it with original tires which were HARD. A nail forced me to buy Michilen Pilot Road 2s. I've put 2,600 miles on the FZ6.

Ninja 250 Vs FZ6
FZ6 - FI, just start it up no choke to fiddle with
Ninja 250 - very light and a blast in slower areas
FZ6 - more power, smooth but some vibration at 5,000
Ninja 250 - on secondary roads and in the neighborhood lots of fun, light flickable
FZ6 - Great on the interstate and open roads - lots of power - on the interstate just roll on the throttle

The FZ6 is not as easy to ride in slow areas like parking lots and tight streets. The little Ninja was a blast where I live cause the speed limits are 25 to 30 and I could ride it pretty hard and not get into too much trouble.

I road my Ninja from Birmingham to Chattanooga several times which it did just fine. However running 10,000RPM all day gets old and it had very little power at speeds above 70. The FZ6 is a great interstate bike. I have not found the throttle response to be as bad as it is made out to be. The bike likes to rev and everything works better when it's working harder - a problem when the speed limit is 55!

Worst experience - riding from Chattanooga to Birmingham starting at 9PM when it was 40 and raining! Not fun.

Best reason to get the FZ6 - it has more HP than my wife's Smart car!

I don't know if it's just an insurance thing but I have not found any dealers around me, Maryland, that offer test rides. A shop near Wash DC, that carries Kawasaki, did e-mail me that I could test ride a Versys but they have since put up notice that the are going out of business. I'm sure the two are not related.

I'm pretty much a solo rider so the chances of running into someone offering to ride their bike are pretty slim. I'm sure both are good bikes and my main concern at this point is how my lower back feels. The 250R starts it aching within 20 minutes. The ergos are just too cramped I think with the bars too close causing me to hunch over a bit. If I sit on the back edge of the seat things are better but that can only last so long. At least the FZ6R lets you move seat and bars around a bit. Great feature that.

Tim

Really hope you get to have even a short ride. You never want to look back and think "if only I'd RIDDEN the thing before I bought it". Good luck!

If you can make it to Brisbane, I'm sure we can find you a ride :)

I hate the Throttle setup on the FZ6, but only in first gear. Its hard for me to leave the throttle cracked open when takin a slow right hander in first. It feels like its either off or too much. but you do get use to it. Other than that it is an excellent bike, I do everything from twisties to commuting on mine and it runs great. I already have 10k on it after a year of riding, got it brand new. I think its the way to go. unless you wanna pay a few grand more for a more top of the line bike, this is definetly the best for the money. Hands down.

that's pretty cool. just curious. could you do the same thing for a ninja 250 and an fz6r? i read guys on here saying they have to start out on the 6r because they're too big to start off on the 250. it would be interesting to actually see the difference.

Here you go:

250vsfz6r.jpg

I just bought a new 2008 FZ6 after not riding for 20 years and I am very happy it is a great all around bike. I live in Carney MD and got a good deal on a new 2008 FZ6 for about $1200 off the new price. A couple of the local dealers still have new 2008s around. My last bike was a 79 XS1100 standard.

I'll start off by saying that I am a previous FZ6 owner and I loved my bike right up until I crashed her. Given that, when I bought it back in 2006, I wish I would have driven other bikes for a better comparison.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend, bikes you didn't mention but are certainly competitors include Triumph Street Triple, Ducati Monster 696, Aprilia Shiver 750 or Mana 850... the list goes on.

For what it's worth, I now own a Triumph Street Triple R when I had the opportunity to buy another FZ6. The Striple is frankly ten times the bike the FZ was. Gobs of torque, plenty of high end hp, turns in much nicer, smooth throttle response, amazing brakes, and the type R comes with fully adjustable suspension (one of the biggest flaws on the FZ). Granted it is a more expensive bike, but well worth it in my opinion.

This is not to say the FZ isn't an amazing bike and I loved it for the 2+ years I had it. I'm just saying make sure to a really look at what else is out there now.:welcome:

I just bought a new 2008 FZ6 after not riding for 20 years and I am very happy it is a great all around bike. I live in Carney MD and got a good deal on a new 2008 FZ6 for about $1200 off the new price. A couple of the local dealers still have new 2008s around. My last bike was a 79 XS1100 standard.

I live just north of Carney off of Seven Courts. I have not found any '08 FZ6s but Pete's Cycle has last year's FZ1. Who still has some? The 1000 is a bit too much at this point. I sat on a FZ6R today and liked the higher bars and overall fit. Want to test ride a 250R? Hint, hint.

Tim

Last edited:
I'll start off by saying that I am a previous FZ6 owner and I loved my bike right up until I crashed her. Given that, when I bought it back in 2006, I wish I would have driven other bikes for a better comparison.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend, bikes you didn't mention but are certainly competitors include Triumph Street Triple, Ducati Monster 696, Aprilia Shiver 750 or Mana 850... the list goes on.

For what it's worth, I now own a Triumph Street Triple R when I had the opportunity to buy another FZ6. The Striple is frankly ten times the bike the FZ was. Gobs of torque, plenty of high end hp, turns in much nicer, smooth throttle response, amazing brakes, and the type R comes with fully adjustable suspension (one of the biggest flaws on the FZ). Granted it is a more expensive bike, but well worth it in my opinion.

This is not to say the FZ isn't an amazing bike and I loved it for the 2+ years I had it. I'm just saying make sure to a really look at what else is out there now.:welcome:

Sat on a Monster 696 and hated it. Seat like a sliding board and the footpeg supports force your heels out. Most of the Italian and British bikes are spendy and often difficult to find service. Maybe if I spent more time riding I would consider more $. My primary sport is cycling and have a custom Titanium road bike. It costs nearly as much as the FZ6R!

Tim

My primary sport is cycling and have a custom Titanium road bike. It costs nearly as much as the FZ6R!

Tim

Funny... same here! Between me and my wife, we own SEVEN bicycles (2 road bikes, 2 DH bikes, 2 XC bikes and I also have a trials bike). Way WAY more money tied up in cycling than in moto for me.
I too pedal more than I ride the moto.

Nice graphics work Erci.

On the 6R I am trying to find the TB bore size (yamaha parts fiche does not have the bike on it yet), they probably installed smaller TBs which will reduce top-end power yet will provide easier to control low-end. (Given that the bikes have the same bore, stroke, and CR) Something similar was done back in the day between the FZR600 and the Seca-II.

Last edited:
Back