thinking bout trading in the fz6

ghostrider951

Reaction score
Visit site
lately, i've been really considering about trading in my 2006 yamaha fz6 for a liter bike, im so torn on what to do, the fz6 is paid off, and is virtually in perfect shape, and really gets the job done, but i've been really considering getting a used r1, zx10, or gsxr 1000

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Every time I see an R1 I ... well lets just say I get really excited.

Then every time I think about having such a bike instead of my FZ6 I just don't think it would be in my best interest. My FZ6 already has more power than I need so definitely don't need more, and I wouldn't like such an aggressive riding position.

However, I agree -- do what makes you happy.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been so excited in the pants about the R1 that eventually I found a way to buy one.

Won't sell the FZ though. The versatility and touring option is too good to give up.

So I stopped eating for 10 months and saved enough money for both.

Just get it. It will make you sleep a little bit better every night knowing its in the garage.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
How about one of these.

NewPRunsetride007.jpg

I picked up this slightly used 2008 FZ1. Really like this bike, plenty of liter class fun without screwing the turtle. ;)

ghostrider951

Reaction score
Visit site
How about one of these.

NewPRunsetride007.jpg

I picked up this slightly used 2008 FZ1. Really like this bike, plenty of liter class fun without screwing the turtle. ;)

dang you have a nice fz1, I dont know what it is about an r1, but there so beautiful. i have considered an fz1, but i kinda wanna try something different

ghostrider951

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been so excited in the pants about the R1 that eventually I found a way to buy one.

Won't sell the FZ though. The versatility and touring option is too good to give up.

So I stopped eating for 10 months and saved enough money for both.

Just get it. It will make you sleep a little bit better every night knowing its in the garage.

lonesoldier, i think you by far have the best advice, cuz i think if i trade in my fz6, ill probably end up regretting it cuz it is a sweet bike, reliable, and decent power. i think im just gonna take my time and try to save up and buy a used r1, how does your r1 feel compared to the fz6

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a nice FZ1. I have a 2001. great bikes. Ghost rider... go for It. you don't have to get a brand spanking new one. looking around.. I'm sure you can find a great deal on a used one.... especially this time of the year. I picked up my 07 fz6 almost two months ago with 6k miles for $3500. and this thing is MINT!!!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lonesoldier, i think you by far have the best advice, cuz i think if i trade in my fz6, ill probably end up regretting it cuz it is a sweet bike, reliable, and decent power. i think im just gonna take my time and try to save up and buy a used r1, how does your r1 feel compared to the fz6

Thanks. And yeah, the things the FZ6 does well are many. the things the R1 does well are few....it just does them OMFG-HOLY-****-THATS-AWESOME kind of "well". But I know if I had ONLY the R1 I would miss all of the things I used to do on the FZ6 way too much so for me I need two bikes.

And I don't know how it feels yet because I haven't ridden it yet. It's winter here so it's just sitting in the garage.

Here is some reading for you though:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/14788-fz6-r1-comparison.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/non-fz6-motorcycle-section/22996-my-new-r1-oh-my-god.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/13110-2009-yzf-r1-test-ride.html

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I too was itching to *upgrade* early in the season. I was never interested in going to a full-on sport bike though. I basically wanted FZ6, but with more power and if possible less weight. Triumph Speed Triple was on my list, followed by FZ1 and the new Z1000.
Eventually, my reasonable side won out and I decided to not bother with the bike change. FZ6 is an amazing machine and with few mods since my original desire to switch to something else, I now love it more than ever. Exhaust being the biggest game changer.
Not saying you should or shouldn't get something else though.. to each their own.

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what kind of rider you are but here's my perspective. If you have a litre sportsbike like the R1 or Blade you will be expected to go fast and any credit for going fast will go to the bike, not you. If on the other hand you ride a 600 street bike (as I do) and run with a fast gang on big sports bikes (as I do) the credit is all yours. If you are not riding your FZ to its limit then the bike is fast enough for you, if you are struggling to keep up because the FZ is not fast enough then either you are riding with a bunch of loonies or your riding can be improved.
Also remember that it is very easy to get carried away with a litre sports bike because they go so fast so easily. On a 600 street bike you have to work it so are aware of how fast you are going, always good for hanging on to your licence, your limbs and your life.
I ride a 600 street bike though choice, not necessity, I think they are the ideal blend between speed, more than fast enough, and common sense, not so fast they get you into trouble.
I have spent the last 13 years running dealer ride outs, trips and open day events and have ridden every kind of bike, I can afford wahtever I fancy and yet my own bike is an FZ6.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I too was itching to *upgrade* early in the season. I was never interested in going to a full-on sport bike though. I basically wanted FZ6, but with more power and if possible less weight. Triumph Speed Triple was on my list, followed by FZ1 and the new Z1000.
Eventually, my reasonable side won out and I decided to not bother with the bike change. FZ6 is an amazing machine and with few mods since my original desire to switch to something else, I now love it more than ever. Exhaust being the biggest game changer.
Not saying you should or shouldn't get something else though.. to each their own.

Really shows how great the FZ6 is. I had the toughest time justifying getting a second bike. Every time I almost did I decided I didn't REEEEALLY need to. Took me three years to finally just say, ah to hell with it, and just do it.

I don't know what kind of rider you are but here's my perspective. If you have a litre sportsbike like the R1 or Blade you will be expected to go fast and any credit for going fast will go to the bike, not you. If on the other hand you ride a 600 street bike (as I do) and run with a fast gang on big sports bikes (as I do) the credit is all yours. If you are not riding your FZ to its limit then the bike is fast enough for you, if you are struggling to keep up because the FZ is not fast enough then either you are riding with a bunch of loonies or your riding can be improved.
Also remember that it is very easy to get carried away with a litre sports bike because they go so fast so easily. On a 600 street bike you have to work it so are aware of how fast you are going, always good for hanging on to your licence, your limbs and your life.
I ride a 600 street bike though choice, not necessity, I think they are the ideal blend between speed, more than fast enough, and common sense, not so fast they get you into trouble.
I have spent the last 13 years running dealer ride outs, trips and open day events and have ridden every kind of bike, I can afford wahtever I fancy and yet my own bike is an FZ6.

Or you could just ride your own ride and not be bothered by receiving credit from others?

And an FZ6 is definitely fast "enough".

But before fire, meat was digestible "enough". Before the wheel, transport was efficient "enough". And before motorcycles themselves, bicycles were good "enough".

Sometimes, ya just got to light your hair on fire and go for it.

There can be only 1.

:BLAA:

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh no. The infamous "should I" post. Here's my response. Yes you should. Why? Because you only live on this earth one time. Might as well have some fun while you're here.

thelittlet

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about trading in for a 2007 interceptor but dont think i can part with the ol f6z

One of these days, though.......:drool:

2834014693_63a88484ba.jpg

has anyone here ridden the viffer before?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about trading in for a 2007 interceptor but dont think i can part with the ol f6z

One of these days, though.......:drool:

2834014693_63a88484ba.jpg

has anyone here ridden the viffer before?

Quite a few people have. Some have moved from FZ6 to VFR (Boneman, for one) and some moved from VFR to FZ6.
I've never owned one, but I've ridden one. It's an absolute pleasure to ride. More low end torque than FZ6 and great exhaust note with aftermarket pipes.

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
Have ridden a number of these (don't call them interceptors over here though). The name made a good question in one of my dealer bike quizzes a couple of years ago.
Anyway, very different in some ways. feels much lower steering and tends to roll in to corners more than the FZ. Motor is quite strong once the VTec has opened up, a slug when it hasn't. If you get one of the early ones the Vtec oens and closes at teh same revs so if you are ridig at the revs where the valve opens it can get a bit caught out between open and closed. The later ones have it sorted by opening and closing at different revs. RIding position is very different, the tank feels big under your chest when you first ride the Viffer but it is relatively comfortable for long ride once you are used to it. If you were coming from a sports bike it would feel like a sofa. The suspension is quite plush and the handling is good, if a bit slow steering as I have said. Once you start giving it some stick a Viffer can really motor but if you want to ride at sustained high pace you have to keep the revs up. A good bike then, good if strange motor and solid if uninspiring handling.