I'm thinking about coming back... from a GL1800

RobberRog

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking about coming back... from a Goldwing

I had a 2007 FZ6 for over five years and it's always been my favorite bike. When my wife became interested in joining me on rides, I went to a Goldwing. She's done riding, so I'm wondering if I'll still love an FZ6 as much after riding a Goldwing for many years. I don't really care for the new Yamaha bikes since they discontinues the FZ6. I've considered an FZ1, but never rode one. Anyone have advice for someone who loves his Goldwing and wants a smaller bike again? Thanks in advance. :confused:

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Thinking about coming back... from a Goldwing

I have a Goldwing and love it but I also have a KTM 990 Supermoto and love it too plus I still like my KLR. See a trend here? Different bikes for different rides, choice is great..

I also have had a FJR (bambi killed it) FZ6 and FZ1. Perhaps you can find a gently used FZ1 and ride it a bit, not much bigger than a FZ6 but much more power and smoother machine IMHO

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I had both an 04 FJR and 04 Wing.

As stated different machines but the FJR can still do what the wing will, but MUCH more fun...
Certainly, NOT a super comfy couch like the wing

RobberRog

Reaction score
Visit site

What bike in Yamaha's current lineup is most like the FZ6?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

Come to think of it I'd be looking real hard at the FZ09 line up of bikes from Yamaha.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site

If I were getting a new bike right now it would be the FJ09. There's nothing wrong with my 6.. have had it for almost 8 years and 38k miles of use... it is an excellent bike. The promise of better low end and torque of the 3 cylinder is a very temping step up

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If I were getting a new bike right now it would be the FJ09. There's nothing wrong with my 6.. have had it for almost 8 years and 38k miles of use... it is an excellent bike. The promise of better low end and torque of the 3 cylinder is a very temping step up

I feel very much the same.I bought the S2 Naked in 2011, its an '09 that just had'nt sold. So I think at the start of 2019 It will be time to look at something with the latest wizz-bangery- ABS, fully adjustable suspension, electronic throttle and the MT09 or FJ09 will come out with more colours and options by then so it will be on the list of possibles.

Or maybe as I will be close to sixty I need to look at cruisers?!?!?! :spank:

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I didn't like the FJ-09. Much preferred the XSR 900. I don't think they have anything in the lineup right now that is as good as the FZ-6, and I don't think anyone else does either. The only other similar bike that has the same bent that's still being made might be the Suzuki Bandit, but I haven't ridden one.

You might try riding an FZ-8 as well. Middle brother of the 6 and 1. I love the **** out of the FJR 1300. It's an amazing bike, and I think it's better than the concourse or the honda. Haven't gotten to try the Triumph sport tourer.