The Speed Triple!

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
Local Triumph dealer had an open house so we went down to toy around on some Brits. The Speed Triple is an absolute gem! Rain was coming so I didn't have time for the Street Triple. If I had the funds for an extra bike I'd certainly be all over it. Unfortunately it just can't fill all the shoes of my Fizzer. The Tiger has always been a favorite of mine and I may get one in the next few years.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Street is even better imo. It growls more, and it's really enjoyable to be able to go through the gears more (than the Speed). On the downside, because of that induction roar, it made me want to run through to redline in the first 2 gears off every set of lights. Leading me to over 100km/hr. I ride like an idiot on it because it rewards you so well!

That's why I love the FZ. It's Mr Sensible down low, but still has the crazy stuff up top if you need it.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta post this on the quiet, since Mike has a Speed 3.

I never liked the Speed 3. I do have a soft spot for the Street Triple R - matt grey with orange writing.

I really wanted one at the time of buying my FZ6 - wasn't street legal then so Mike had to test ride it. Said he loved it for himself but for me it would have been a little "twitchy".

He then went out and bought his beast.

One thing about Triumph - the amount of mods you can do - both original and after market - are endless compared to Yamaha.

After all that, I must say - I have got used to his bike and can't wait until he lets me have a ride of her :Flash:

Here's a pic for you

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the Speedy. The sound it makes, how it pulls, those magical Brembo's. Thing that still confuses me, I had 6 months on my FZ before riding Speedy (my 1st ever ride on a litre bike too), but I instantly felt comfortable on that 1,050cc 130hp bike!

Still remember my 1st & only ride of the bike and the joy it brought me in that 30 minute demo day ride, and that was almost 2 years ago!

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
The Street Triple is one of the few "sensible" bikes that appeal to me, well, that and the Aprilia Dorsoduro. On Tues the 20th I rec'd two flyers in the mail, from "Pete's Cycle", advertising upcoming events. One was a Triumph demo day. I was thrilled, until I noticed the dates for the event were the 16 & 17th! Idiots. I'm sure they mailed it late as our Postal Service seems to be on time with everything else.

I like my FZ6 but would appreciate less wind buffeting, lighter weight and a bit more torque in the middle. However, there is no way I would get another bike without a good test ride. Doubt that will ever happen with the Aprilia, and it's really just a looks thing with that bike (damn Italians) and the next local Triumph demo is a year away.

Tim

Last edited:

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
i rode the speed while my tiger was in for a few things and it had the arrow pipes and a few other bits. and allthought the power (lighter bike) and the pipes where great, i like the all day comfor of the tiger and the pipe i have on lets you hear it without getting into too much trouble.

the open house for around here is this coming week so i may head up and try some new things, like a rocket 3 or mayby a duc

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
My local Suzuki/Triumph dealer is doing the same thing this coming week. I'm already signed up to demo the Street Triple and one of the Bonnies. I may try to get on a Scrambler as well! I can't lie, I'm pretty excited to try out the Street Triple... :cheer:

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
I loooooove the triumphs. I have a buddy with a Sprint ST. That sounds that thing makes are beautiful. Ergos are a bit odd though. The Speed Trip is, IMHO, one of the best looking bikes on the market. A truly amazing machine. Mean as hell. Again, ergos feel a bit off though. The Tiger is an almost perfect AT bike, though the suspension is too soft for hard-core twisties and without enough travel to be any good off-pavement. But with perfect ergos for me!

The FZs hit a sweet spot for me, but I wish they had the same fit-and-finish of the triumphs. I have to say that if I were in the market for a new bike right now I would strongly consider a Tiger. I can deal with the sloppy suspension - I had to replace the springs on my Fazer too. At least the Tiger's forks offer some adjustability.

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
I love the Speedy. The sound it makes, how it pulls, those magical Brembo's. Thing that still confuses me, I had 6 months on my FZ before riding Speedy (my 1st ever ride on a litre bike too), but I instantly felt comfortable on that 1,050cc 130hp bike!

Still remember my 1st & only ride of the bike and the joy it brought me in that 30 minute demo day ride, and that was almost 2 years ago!

I felt the same way, and I rolled 2 up. It was easier to manage with a passenger than the Fizzer, but after a short ride it's lack of space showed. Still, if I were looking to ride alone and around town it's tits! I think I might go check out the Street Triple one day for kicks.

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Speed Triple is definitely fun, although I went with the Sprint ST to meet/expand the practical roles my FZ6 had filled (plus adding some low-end torque!). With the TOR exhaust & Triumph's download, it is also quite a different beast from what I initially rolled off the dealer's lot- I am sure the Speed Triple is the same.
You may want to wait a bit before jumping into one, as a redesigned Sprint ST/GT will be out in the fall. If they change the motor (1200 rumors?!?) & other bits, it will probably be rolled onto the Speed Triple.

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
The street triple was going to be my first bike, it looks good, out-performs anything in its' class (including the Fazer) and is as english as me. However, I was brand new and the bloke that got me through my test recommended the fazer as a first bike. I'm glad he did, I love it but it will soon be my second (and winter) bike, I'm buying a ST3. The speed is a great bike (my mate has one) but on the UK twisties is out-performed by the the street (and Fazer in good hands) hands down. On the long US and Ozzie roads the speed may be a better option but in the UK the street rules. Not as much a kick in the arse as a "V" twin but more "feely" than any in-line 4.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta post this on the quiet, since Mike has a Speed 3.

I never liked the Speed 3. I do have a soft spot for the Street Triple R - matt grey with orange writing.

I really wanted one at the time of buying my FZ6 - wasn't street legal then so Mike had to test ride it. Said he loved it for himself but for me it would have been a little "twitchy".

He then went out and bought his beast.

One thing about Triumph - the amount of mods you can do - both original and after market - are endless compared to Yamaha.

After all that, I must say - I have got used to his bike and can't wait until he lets me have a ride of her :Flash:

Here's a pic for you

I totally feel you on the grey and orange lettering. Got a quote on trading in my R6 towards a new one at the local dealer before deciding to sell it outright and go with a used Fazer. I absolutely love the appearance of the street, but am not the biggest fan of the stubby tail on the speed. I love the twin headlights and all the literature I've read raves about them. Never ridden one, but ironically the person that ended up buying the triple I considered works with me. I suppose I should befriend this person and maybe I'll eventually score a ride.