Speed Triple - First Impressions

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
As some of you may know, I sold my 2008 FZ6 a few weeks ago to another forum member and picked up a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple. While I loved the FZ and was very sad to see her go, I have always had an obsession with the look of the Triple. When I was presented with an offer I couldnt refuse, I made it happen.

So, after riding her for two weeks, here are some thoughts:

1. Holy sh1t TORQUE! While I would not say the FZ lacks in power or is by any means a slow bike, the Triple is an absolute monster. The torque across the the entire power band is crazy and she pulls like a frieght train. Power delivery is very smooth, and there is no gradual increase in power as revs rise.

2. Silky smooth. The Triple is just a smooth bike. The suspension is more plush and the bike is a tad bit heavier, and this just translates into a very smooth ride. As per the last point, power comes on very smooth as well.

3. Shifting is much different. With the FZ, there was a nice mechanical click into and out of each gear and I hardly would ever miss a shift. While the Triple shifts smoother, the click is nearly non existent, and this can causes misses, most notably from 1st to 2nd and from 5th to 6th. Oddly enough, many Triple riders alleviate this issue by installing a Sunline shifter designed for Yamaha bikes. This eliminates the shifter linkage and provides a direct link to the transmission. If I begin to find this issue more than just an infrequent annoyance, I will likely perform this mod as well.

4. Comfort. The Triple, like the FZ, is a comfortable bike to ride but is definitely a more aggressive riding position. Your hands are a bit lower and your feet further back, but overall it has not been bothering me. The seat is shorter and thinner and I find it less comfortable than the FZ. While many complain about the OEM FZ seat, I rather liked it and miss it a bit with my Triple.

5. Maintainence. So far I have changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, and brake pads on the Triple and I can say it is a very user friendly bike just like the FZ. The tank doesnt have the nice rear hinge that the FZ had, but it comes off very easily. One allen bolt up front, a through bolt in the rear, a quick release fuel fitting, two vent lines, and a fuel pump plug and its off. Never changed the plugs on the FZ but it was a very straight forward simple job on the Triple. Air filter change was also a cinch. I definitely miss the center stand on my FZ as far as chain maintainence goes, but I already made a little center stand out of some spare 1x2 wood that rests right under the rear suspension lower linkage. This raises up the rear wheel a tad and makes the job much easier. Adjusting chain tension, however, is super easy with a single swingarm bike which is great.

Overall I really like the bike. I love the new found power, single sided swing arm, short rear end, and sound of the 1050cc 3 cylinder motor. I do find myself missing certain aspects of the FZ, though, and would by no means say the Triple blows it out of the water. Both bikes are awesome, and I am pleased that my FZ has found a home with another forum member. As promised, I will continue to lurk the boards.

Happy riding!!

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on finding what you were looking for! What do you miss from your FZ? Aside from the seat.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks dude! I miss the comfort of the seat, I miss the center stand, I miss all the customization I did to really make it mine, while I love the new sound of the Triple I cant help but miss the sound of my Two Bro's set up on the FZ, and I also miss how easy and cheap it was to modify.

Few examples. The rear hugger on the FZ is about $30 while its $130 for the Triple. Also, unlike my FZ where I could just toss on the slip on and air filter and it would run well enough to cause no concern, the Triple will require a retune when I install my MIVV CF slip on.

The ONLY saving grace as far as modding and tuning the bike goes, is a company called TuneECU. For any of you who are unfamiliar with this company, they offer free tuning software as well as a huge selection of preloaded maps and can be used with Triumph, KTM, Aprila, and MV Augusta. I have already downloaded the software, drivers, and a variety of tunes for free and just had to order a $15 USB/OBDII cable to connect to the bike. The software allows you to tune every aspect of the ECM as well as run tests, read/clear engine codes, balance TB's, reset TPS, etc. Very cool.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good stuff, man! I think once you get the MIVV on, you'll no longer miss FZ6/TB sound :D

ST sounds fantastic with aftermarket can(s). The one I rode had Arrow on it and sounded killer.. lots of roll-off popping, but not in a bad way.

Oh and.. TTIWWOP!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, def pretty pumped for the new can. The stockers are super quiet and I dont like it!!

As soon as I install the slip on I will post up some pics for you fellas.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As some of you may know, I sold my 2008 FZ6 a few weeks ago to another forum member and picked up a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple. While I loved the FZ and was very sad to see her go, I have always had an obsession with the look of the Triple. When I was presented with an offer I couldnt refuse, I made it happen.

1. Holy sh1t TORQUE! While I would not say the FZ lacks in power or is by any means a slow bike, the Triple is an absolute monster. The torque across the the entire power band is crazy and she pulls like a frieght train. Power delivery is very smooth, and there is no gradual increase in power as revs rise.

Yup yup, and YUP. Ain't it fun? The wheelies come for free :)

2. Silky smooth. The Triple is just a smooth bike. The suspension is more plush and the bike is a tad bit heavier, and this just translates into a very smooth ride. As per the last point, power comes on very smooth as well.

The stock setting on my 2010 is stiff, and I've grown to like this.

3. Shifting is much different. With the FZ, there was a nice mechanical click into and out of each gear and I hardly would ever miss a shift. While the Triple shifts smoother, the click is nearly non existent, and this can causes misses, most notably from 1st to 2nd and from 5th to 6th. Oddly enough, many Triple riders alleviate this issue by installing a Sunline shifter designed for Yamaha bikes. This eliminates the shifter linkage and provides a direct link to the transmission. If I begin to find this issue more than just an infrequent annoyance, I will likely perform this mod as well.

I have this mod. Get it. You'll get your click. I was mis-shifting all of the time with the stock. Never had a mis-shift since putting the Sunline.
4. Comfort. The Triple, like the FZ, is a comfortable bike to ride but is definitely a more aggressive riding position. Your hands are a bit lower and your feet further back, but overall it has not been bothering me. The seat is shorter and thinner and I find it less comfortable than the FZ. While many complain about the OEM FZ seat, I rather liked it and miss it a bit with my Triple.

Feels good don't it? :)
5. Maintainence. So far I have changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, and brake pads on the Triple and I can say it is a very user friendly bike just like the FZ. The tank doesnt have the nice rear hinge that the FZ had, but it comes off very easily. One allen bolt up front, a through bolt in the rear, a quick release fuel fitting, two vent lines, and a fuel pump plug and its off. Never changed the plugs on the FZ but it was a very straight forward simple job on the Triple. Air filter change was also a cinch. I definitely miss the center stand on my FZ as far as chain maintainence goes, but I already made a little center stand out of some spare 1x2 wood that rests right under the rear suspension lower linkage. This raises up the rear wheel a tad and makes the job much easier. Adjusting chain tension, however, is super easy with a single swingarm bike which is great.

Overall I really like the bike. I love the new found power, single sided swing arm, short rear end, and sound of the 1050cc 3 cylinder motor. I do find myself missing certain aspects of the FZ, though, and would by no means say the Triple blows it out of the water. Both bikes are awesome, and I am pleased that my FZ has found a home with another forum member. As promised, I will continue to lurk the boards.

Happy riding!!

Have fun on that beast! It's hard not to!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Got on her a bit today in 6th gear..was shocked at the top end power it has even at lower RPM's. My god she is fast!

May order up that Sunline shifter today..missed a shift or two coming into work.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got a pic for you all! Also did the Sunline shifter mod and its like night and day. Best $25 I ever spent!

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Happy riding!!
Pictures please...............
Neil

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got a pic for you all! Also did the Sunline shifter mod and its like night and day. Best $25 I ever spent!

Sick looking ride!! Man.. just a fender elim and aftermarket pipe and that bike looks like a one-off streetfighter!! :thumbup:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Sick looking ride!! Man.. just a fender elim and aftermarket pipe and that bike looks like a one-off streetfighter!! :thumbup:

Thanks dude!

Yea, the low mount 3-1 muffler along with the tail tidy kit and removal of the passenger pegs really opened up the whole rear end. Really digging the new look.

This weekend I am going to install some new coolant reservoir fittings as mine are weeping a bit as well as a R/R off a Yamaha R1 as preventative maintainence. Also got some nice custom harnesses for the R/R from Eastern Beaver that look sweet!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't tell from the pic, but does ST have a radiator cover? Daytona does not and one of the guys on a group ride took a rock to the top of the radiator and put a hole in it!!
If yours has no cover, may want to look into that ASAP.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't tell from the pic, but does ST have a radiator cover? Daytona does not and one of the guys on a group ride took a rock to the top of the radiator and put a hole in it!!
If yours has no cover, may want to look into that ASAP.

Good call. No, no cover, just the two side alluminum shrouds. I know there are a lot of covers available so I should probably pick one up. Thanks!