The November 7th 09 SoCal Ride

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think seeing all the stuff fly by in the periphery of the wide angle definitely helps the sense of speed, at the expense of making the camera bike look like it's a lot further behind than Cliff really was ;)

I showed the video to my wife and she just looked at me, worriedly and said..."Oh...do you go that fast?"

"No, that's the fast guys, I just chill at the back."

"Ok, that looks too scary."

:thumbup:

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
I showed the video to my wife and she just looked at me, worriedly and said..."Oh...do you go that fast?"

Hahaha, thats funny.

I had a similar thing when showing one of my first riding videos to my parents while visiting them a while back. Mistake. At one point during a video of a fast, sweeping road near ACH called "9 mile" my mom said, "Is that your speedometer in the picture? Why is there a 1 in front?" :eek:

I don't think she bought the "Oh that's just the pixelation of the camera playing tricks on you" excuse I spouted out. Oops. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think seeing all the stuff fly by in the periphery of the wide angle definitely helps the sense of speed, at the expense of making the camera bike look like it's a lot further behind than Cliff really was ;)

Same argument could be made for helmet vs fixed mounts I suppose. I'm glad we had a good variety, so thanks to all you guys who took the vids and the photos! Awesome stuff!!! And thanks to John for leading, awesome pace!

Since ACH is closed, I'd like to get you guys up here to Malibu or Lake Hughes sometime, but I know its far. Vegas' idea for a North meets south ride would be a lot of fun too! Other than the coast, I only really know one or two roads in "Central" Cal... sure we can find something though!

I'll always trust your expertise on the camera stuff and what you're saying about the lens makes perfect sense :D

Would really enjoy getting up your way and riding the roads you're talking about about. I have a friend in Pacific Heights where I could even stay over.
Can't go this next weekend though cuz we're picking up my brother who just got down from Base Camp on Mt. Everest. We lost contact with him for a while and we were pretty worried for a few days but he popped up exhausted and okay. I kept thinking about him when we were riding cuz he's also one of my very best friends.

Yeah I'm ready to blast again!! Hahaha!

On that GoPro 170 deg. lens: I keep thinking I'll get real close to you guys but then after I weigh speed and environment I give distance. I guess I also want to know it's okay to pull close to you without you thinking about me and we never talked about it. It would be great to get some great footage of you guys in form in the turns while we do mountain ballet! Hahaha!
I've had 2 people go down in front of me this year and each time my instincts paid off! I got around them down in front of me and had time to shut it down in a turn where the rider went down and if the second rider was in the road would have gotten safely stopped or around him. I'm working on a different cam for the future. Maybe the answer is as long as you know what I'm doing and we pull it off on a momentary basis it could work. We'll talk about it.

It was an awesome day. Great weather, friends, roads and scenery!:BLAA:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

:Flash: I also got some business from my wife when she watched videos. Hey! they love us and I don't think we're pushing it anyway. I wouldn't do it if I didn't feel confident. If you're to apprehensive then back down a bit instead of using your processing energy for the wrong purpose. You need to feel comfortable! The main discomfort I feel is trying to get the corners of my grin off of my ears! :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hahaha, thats funny.

I had a similar thing when showing one of my first riding videos to my parents while visiting them a while back. Mistake. At one point during a video of a fast, sweeping road near ACH called "9 mile" my mom said, "Is that your speedometer in the picture? Why is there a 1 in front?" :eek:

I don't think she bought the "Oh that's just the pixelation of the camera playing tricks on you" excuse I spouted out. Oops. :D

Hate when that stupid extra #1 pops up and you know it's an error! :rolleyes: Hmm pixelation playing tricks....Haha

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Another great ride with a bunch of nice guys. Thanks for all of the compliments and rep points, I appreciate all of it. I try to consider the enjoyment of everyone involved and adapt the route and pace to suit all.

Another ride soon? I will probably get back out that way later this week.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the answer is as long as you know what I'm doing and we pull it off on a momentary basis it could work. We'll talk about it.

You made the right call keeping your distance, especially since it was a new road to us -at least to me it was! I've done some planned close following with some other friends on familiar roads for video purposes, and it's pretty risky how close you need to be with that lens. Not so good for public roads.

That's crazy about your brother, glad he's ok! Honestly I'm not sure I'll be able to do another big ride until thanksgiving weekend at the earliest. We'll chat later and find a time to ride some more for sure...

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

If my wife asks, we NEVER have video... :D

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Next organized ride, let's try to get the Northern California members involved. North meets South.

Should be planned months ahead and maybe arrange the ride in the middle part of the state, over a span of two or even three days that would require an overnight stay somwhere we could go out and terrorize the local town.

I'm down for this and would be happy to plan the route for the northern/central portion and lead if needed....or otherwise help out as needed.

The really good roads south of Santa Cruz and west of the Sierras start to thin out (compared to NorCal) but I know of a few great ones and they can be mostly linked together.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm down for this and would be happy to plan the route for the northern/central portion and lead if needed....or otherwise help out as needed.

The really good roads south of Santa Cruz and west of the Sierras start to thin out (compared to NorCal) but I know of a few great ones and they can be mostly linked together.

Thank you Nate! Let's see what we can all come up with. It looks like it may be after the holidays but there won't be any harm in starting the process now.

Thanks

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Next organized ride, let's try to get the Northern California members involved. North meets South.

Should be planned months ahead and maybe arrange the ride in the middle part of the state, over a span of two or even three days that would require an overnight stay somwhere we could go out and terrorize the local town.

Great thinking Kenny. I began a new thread in the "USA-Pacific" section to begin the discussion and planning of this trip.

8-oji

Reaction score
Visit site

Hmmm, well you can always show her the following footage when we encountered traffic and say you were right there as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ2aixKeKB4]YouTube - Nov 7th - S. California FZ6 Ride[/ame]

Also, if any of you faster guys wanna say that this is footage from your bike. Feel free, a sorta public service thing for riders who don't want their families to worry.:D Then again, if they see right though it, I can't help you there.:shakehead:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, well you can always show her the following footage when we encountered traffic and say you were right there as well.

Ha! Sean, I didn't realize you had a camera on your bike! I saw the GPS...missed the camera!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Originally Posted by VEGASRIDER

Oh yeah, good idea. North meets South. I'd have to get, yeah, advance notice because I usually work Saturdays. It'd be fantastic (Gov Schwarzenegger would say) to ride with you guys. It might end up as one of the "Mother of group rides."

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah memories of a great ride! The wife and I went up to Idyllwild today...the weather is a bit different than when us FZ6 fanatics rode up! SNOW! :BLAA:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's great! Ha! She's standing in front of the Gnome. What a difference and to think, even at higher elevations,we we're basking in warm temps making curly rubber on those tires last Saturday.

Did you see the video from last Saturday?

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's great! Ha! She's standing in front of the Gnome. What a difference and to think, even at higher elevations,we we're basking in warm temps making curly rubber on those tires last Saturday.

Did you see the video from last Saturday?

Oh yeah I saw the video. You guys were smokin!:rockon:

The Gnome...we ate lunch there. Wonderful!

Last edited: