The "HOLE" everyone talks about! I looked in it! :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
attachment.php

Figure it out yet?
Although this was solved some time ago, a picture brings it home right! That is the infamous "WEEP HOLE" which connects all spark plug galleys allowing water and oil (God forbid) to drain from the spark plug boot area should the caps allow moisture in or if the valve cover leaks oil!

Shown here is a Flashlight into plug well # 3, (all plugs are out) and Walla - light out the Weep Hole on the left side of the block! :thumbup:
attachment.php

Bonus point if you notice sparky in my left hand! :popcorn:

JJD952 - Engine

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: The "HOLE" everyone talks about! Lets look inside!! :D

Uh-oh, you have a photon leak! I'd have thought your black bike would have been more likely to suck light in. :D

True! Photons are not properly contained in that shot! :eek::eek:
Psssst - the leak was intentional so you can see the Photon Device is Active! :rockon:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I like to slide a shaft of something up my hole from time to time, you know to keep the dirt and bugs from plugging it up... Blah

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You must be snowed in and loosing it already!:spank:

haha - you should know by now I'm always loosing "IT"!
picture.php

Besides, that was last week!! Well - ice mainly..... :Flip:

21,000 mile Valve check, I was just about to drop the plugs back in and saw "the hole" and aimed the Photon device to capture stray photons leaking out!! Yep, its a through an through shot to the other side! Garden hose got water in the p e e hole making my plug oxidize! :eek:

Notice missing bump stick!
attachment.php

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
haha - you should know by now I'm always loosing "IT"! Thought you could only loose it ONCE. Guess not!!

Besides, that was last week!! Well - ice mainly..... :Flip: Yippe, ice skating!

21,000 mile Valve check, I was just about to drop the plugs back in and saw "the hole" and aimed the Photon device (AKA flashlight)to capture stray photons leaking out!! Yep, its a through an through shot to the other side! Garden hose got water in the p e e hole making my plug oxidize! I hate when that happens!!! :eek:

Notice missing bump stick!

How many exhaust valves were tight and by how much??

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many exhaust valves were tight and by how much??

None were too tight - All exhaust too loose. From 0.001" and up, three were out by 0.005" which I knew was the case as i could hear them over the last couple of years. Hint - trusty wooden stick (as a listening aid) said so. Look to cylinders 1 and 3.
Click pic to follow link!

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
my bike's valve springs not red, mine is S1. is it different because of version?

also, -a little- oil came out that hole 3 months ago, but not repeated again. should I check it for oil leakage?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
None were too tight - All exhaust too loose. From 0.001" and up, three were out by 0.005" which I knew was the case as i could hear them over the last couple of years. Hint - trusty wooden stick (as a listening aid) said so. Look to cylinders 1 and 3.
Click pic to follow link!

Should be a little quieter now too!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
a little- oil came out that hole 3 months ago, but not repeated again. should I check it for oil leakage?

Did you change the spark plugs about then or the valve cover?

Those are the only two things that would have oil come out.

A valve cover leak (not likely as it stopped-it would have continued).

If you replaced the spark plugs and one wasn't quite tight enough and loosened up, you could get some leakage past the threads and seep out.

Depending on what, if anything you did, IMO, I would pull the spark plug caps and check the tightness of the spark plugs. You can also check the caps for tightness (cap to wire) while there as well. They should be snug...

Also, if you want to use an air compressor and blow into the valve cover recesses (with the plugs STILL INSTALLED) wouldn't hurt.

Once thats clean, I'd put the bike on the side stand and spray some brake cleaner in all four holes and flush out what crap came out 3 months ago.

You do want that area clear should water or what ever get in there so it can drain.

A little bit of di-electric grease where the cap meets the valve cover makes installation and removal MUCH easier. You'll actually hear the spark plug snap on.

Back to the original thread!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ +1

If plug 3 was loose, it could have pushed enough combustion gases through it and made what appears as a film of oil. It would smell of gas.

Agreed - spray some solvent in there (Brake cleaner), while the bikes on its side and it should pour out the weep hole.

Here is a nice blurry shot into the plug well.
View attachment 55645

It should be clean in there.

As for the Red springs - only the exhaust and I'm not sure if they have a different PN the earlier....

Lets start an actual thread on the topic if this needs to go further. This one is a bit misleading...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the Red springs - only the exhaust and I'm not sure if they have a different PN the earlier....

I wasn't sure if the red was the oil or spring itself.

Motul 7100 is bright, blood red, (like transmission fluid), much different than most oils...

Interesting about the red springs, I never noticed it on other top end pic's posted here...

Probably R6 springs to go with your R6 forks!! :spank:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't sure if the red was the oil or spring itself.

Motul 7100 is bright, blood red, (like transmission fluid), much different than most oils...

Interesting about the red springs, I never noticed it on other top end pic's posted here...

Probably R6 springs to go with your R6 forks!! :spank:
Speaking of Motul 7100, that's what I put in my bike a couple days ago, and I was very surprised to see the red color. At first I thought I had ordered the wrong type of lubricant!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
S2 owners show us your springs! Blah

Ya, looking forward to tick being gone. Maybe upload an audio so people can tell tappet tick from chain noise. Not the same thing! Ps its more of a tap tap....

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
S2 owners show us your springs! Blah

Ya, looking forward to tick being gone. Maybe upload an audio so people can tell tappet tick from chain noise. Not the same thing! Ps its more of a tap tap....
I would appreciate this. At low rpms and slower cruising speeds, I can hear a quiet ticking/tapping sound that I've always thought was valve related, but I never narrowed it down.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would appreciate this. At low rpms and slower cruising speeds, I can hear a quiet ticking/tapping sound that I've always thought was valve related, but I never narrowed it down.

Its on the cloud.... From 2014-04. Taps can easily be heard in the first 12 seconds and from 40 - 48 seconds. Total is 48 seconds, from 2014-04. Its most noticeably at the beginning and end. Kinda boring tho - motorheads listening to Mechanical Taps! :rolleyes: Cam lash taps (before)...

This sounds better - no messin around, no sitting and waiting and you don't hear the tap so much! :D Sleep Sounds!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of Motul 7100, that's what I put in my bike a couple days ago, and I was very surprised to see the red color. At first I thought I had ordered the wrong type of lubricant!

Yep, same here. This was the first time I used it as well.

It's probably just be me, but the viscosity of the 7100 seemed thinner (just by eye , pouring it in) than say 5100 of the same weight... So far, I like it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its on the cloud.... From 2014-04. Taps can easily be heard in the first 12 seconds and from 40 - 48 seconds. Total is 48 seconds, from 2014-04. Its most noticeably at the beginning and end. Kinda boring tho - motorheads listening to Mechanical Taps! :rolleyes: Cam lash taps (before)...

This sounds better - no messin around, no sitting and waiting and you don't hear the tap so much! :D Sleep Sounds!

I can't hear the ticking or non ticking (maybe me).

Was the engine started from cold in that sound bite?

It definitly idles with a slight variation (at least compared to mine) and doesn't sound like its at 1,200-1,300 RPM's, closer to 1,000 or 1,100..(about the same idle I keep mine at).

Perhaps the timing mod, de-cat?