Oil leak.....please check my logic

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
.... so in the off-season, I undertook a needed valve adjustment. It was detailed and slow going, but everything seemed to go as planned......until it came time to reinstall the valve cover. The new gasket was fighting me to stay flat against the valve cover, so I smeared a little RTV on the cover and gently coaxed the parts into place. When I went to install the spark plugs, I came across one cylinder that gave me trouble getting the socket in the home. I knew that the gasket ring sealing the hole had shifted. Crap....

I got lazy and loosened the cover and tried to 'encourage' the ring into place. The socket dropped in with a little resistance and I declared victory. That was in February.

Had the bike out for the second or third ride of the season today, and when I got hole I noticed wet oil in the weep hole on the left side of the engine. I am betting the gasket is not sealing the spark plug hole and allowing oil in, which is weeping out the hole.

Anyone have any other possibilities?

Likely going to order a new gasket tomorrow and prepare to install next weekend.

Lazy NEVER works....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like gasket didn't align and you have your game plan aligned to correct it. Your diagnosis sounds correct.
It's unfortunate things don't always go to plan for us all.
Good luck!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Randy. What are my chances of doing this without removing air box, battery, coils?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, agreed, no other way, especially with the valve check, that oil would be getting out...

As you had "room"(not really before), cutting corners will make it that much harder...

IMO, bite the bullet, yank what you did before.

Maybe either a light coat of grease on the gasket when installing or some Yamabond (case sealer) should help keep
the new gasket in place..

You know the secrets now!. Also, peeking down each hole (with the gasket/cover on) with a small mirror
and flashlight should confirm yea or nay on the gasket placement...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd have to say slim to none unless you wish to do a replay.

So, it is leaking some out the weep hole on the side of the head?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree too, Tom. You're gonna have to pull it apart again. It's much easier when you got the room vs. wrestling it with fingertips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
3M makes a gasket adhesive, I don't recall the name exactly but it looks like yellow baby puke from a squeeze tube and may be glue sniffer paradise with its smell...

I wipe all sealing surfaces down with acetone. This maay include the new rubber if the adhesive needs to bond to it because the rubber has a release agent on it.

It could be helpful when you have to bang it around to get in there. And hopefully strong enough to keep it in place.

Let's not forget the joy that little rubber mat brings to the table! :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead: :rolleyes:

I recall routing over under, under over, over under to make it right again. What a PITA that was.