The First 2 mods for a new bike

FZSnake6

Reaction score
Visit site
I got rid of my '96 YZF600 a couple years ago... now own a '06 FZ6 (got it brand new for $4700 !!! - had a dented tank from crate damage and no one wanted the ugly ducking - now its mine, and I'm in love).

I highly suggest you fork over $80 to buy frame sliders ($35) and a complete service manual from a Yamaha dealer ($45). You can flip through chapter 3 and learn more about "adjusting" your bike than you would in a couple of years just poking around.

My wife pulled into the garage and realized she had wedged my daughters 'pink ball' under the front of the car, she places the vehicle in reverse, moves back 6 feet, opens the driver side door and jumps out .... but forgot to put it in park first. The vehicle starts moving back with the door open, the door catches my left handle-bar and the car pulls the bike down off the center stand, breaks my left mirror clean off and drags the bike about 12 inches after it hits the ground. 3 days earlier with only 300 miles on the bike - I installed some frame sliders from Moto911 - the left engine case had a small cosmetic scratch and only a small scuff on the rear fairing - the slider took the rest of the hit, and didn't even budge or bend. $35 to save hundreds in replacement parts and a ton of headaches.

W

wrightme43

Welcome man. Here to the rest of your bikes life being upright and rolling. LOL
Glad your here.

FZSnake6

Reaction score
Visit site
The wife can stay ... she enter the house thru the garage door shaking visibly and crying .. her first words were .." i'm soooo sorry, I wrecked your bike... boooo hooooo hooooo hoooo " so I run past her (not so concerned about her well being :) and find my bike lying on its side.

oh yeah, did I mention she managed to shimmy her way back into the driver's seat and put her foot on the brakes ... just 5 feet short of my truck sitting in the driveway.

PS - did 300 miles last sunday thru the north georgia mountains with my FZ1 buddies - those guys can rail!!!

S

sportrider

The wife can stay ... she enter the house thru the garage door shaking visibly and crying .. her first words were .." i'm soooo sorry, I wrecked your bike... boooo hooooo hooooo hoooo " so I run past her (not so concerned about her well being :) and find my bike lying on its side.

oh yeah, did I mention she managed to shimmy her way back into the driver's seat and put her foot on the brakes ... just 5 feet short of my truck sitting in the driveway.

PS - did 300 miles last sunday thru the north georgia mountains with my FZ1 buddies - those guys can rail!!!
LOL I would never let that one go. I could see it thirty years from now.

Wife- you forgot to take out the trash!!!!
YOU- ya maybe so but, at least I remember where the parking brake is.

J

jsteinb95

I think I'd be on life support if I ever did that. Danny would be happy to pull the plug for revenge.

FZSnake6

Reaction score
Visit site
The service manual can be downloaded for free....PM me if you need a link.
Yeah - I actually downloaded it - but I'm a hands on guy ;) got it in on monday and been paging thru it like crazy ... the darn thing is close to 2" thick.

fun fact - did you know you can adjust the "exhaust gas output" using the computer?? you can cycle thru each cylinder and "increment or decrement" the output - manual doesn't say what the unit of measure is, or what it's for?? think it might be for emissions or something.

B

Bo67

Hey, it was an honest mistake...my wife puts marbles on our garage floor and I'm not sure why........:D

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I got rid of my '96 YZF600 a couple years ago... now own a '06 FZ6 (got it brand new for $4700 !!! - had a dented tank from crate damage and no one wanted the ugly ducking - now its mine, and I'm in love).

I highly suggest you fork over $80 to buy frame sliders ($35) and a complete service manual from a Yamaha dealer ($45). You can flip through chapter 3 and learn more about "adjusting" your bike than you would in a couple of years just poking around.

My wife pulled into the garage and realized she had wedged my daughters 'pink ball' under the front of the car, she places the vehicle in reverse, moves back 6 feet, opens the driver side door and jumps out .... but forgot to put it in park first. The vehicle starts moving back with the door open, the door catches my left handle-bar and the car pulls the bike down off the center stand, breaks my left mirror clean off and drags the bike about 12 inches after it hits the ground. 3 days earlier with only 300 miles on the bike - I installed some frame sliders from Moto911 - the left engine case had a small cosmetic scratch and only a small scuff on the rear fairing - the slider took the rest of the hit, and didn't even budge or bend. $35 to save hundreds in replacement parts and a ton of headaches.

Same experince here but no wife to blame !!
Was in the office parking lot. Just got the bike, get on it and was just getting used to shifting gear etc. come back to stop. and bam, the bike was down on its right. Wasn't used to how hard the front nreak stops the bike, wasnt expecting it at all and wasnt even ready to put my foot down.
Bike on the ground, revs for a second, spins a little and shuts down.
Thank God for the frame sliders. No damage anywhere that can be seen except the frame slider is scrathed up but it did its job well.
Got the bike up, had to turn off the switch and on again before it could be strated, started it and rode off to home.
A lesson well learned, relatively cheaply too by Gods grace.
So I couldnt agree any more about the frame sliders.
I still hope could have blamed it on the wife!! Worst part, she watched the whole thing. But she is very gracious!
My vote is definitely on frame sliders.