The deadly mathematics of motorcycling

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now before you go on don't think I'm some kind of morbid fellow. I have always dreamt of motorcycling from a young age and am now finally realizing that dream. Before now though, motorcycling was always seen in a spotlight with angel choirs singing and all that jazz. Now that the time has actually come for me to ride, I have been doing extensive research into how best to get into the sport by minimizing risks of serious injury. (starting on an FZ6 may not have been my best choice lol but its better than the Ducati 848 I was FIRST gonna get only 2 months ago before I started doing the research).

Anyway on to the numbers I've compiled recently:

It has sunk in recently that the danger of a motorcycle accident is not the vertical fall off the motorcycle. No matter what speed you are travelling (i.e. you could be doing 120 kph) the speed with which you hit the concrete VERTICALLY will always be the same as if you were doing 0kph. The danger of the motorcycle accident (apart from obvious things such as oncoming traffic and that kind of thing) is colliding with stationary objects along the roadside. Curbs, street signs, concrete meridians are not your friends.

So here I will give you some examples in the following manner. As I have shown the vertical portion of the motorcycle accident is negligible. The horizontal speed is the one to consider. Now imagine if instead of driving the motorcycle into a concrete barrier you were free falling from a given height. At what heights would you be falling to have the same force of impact as hitting the concrete barrier head on at 60kph (~35mph)? 120kph(~75mph)? 200kph(~120mph)????

Answers (without air friction...which means the heights are actually HIGHER than listed here):

If you fall off your motorcycle travelling at 60kph (~35mph) and hit a concrete wall head on it is the equivalent of freefalling from approximately 15 meters (~50 feet). That is from the 5th floor of a building to the ground below.

If you fall off your motorcycle travelling at 120kph (~75mph) and hit a concrete wall head on it is the equivalent of freefalling from approximately 56 meters (~183 feet). That is from the 18th floor of a building to the ground below.

If you fall off your motorcycle travelling at 200kph (~120mph) and hit a concrete wall head on it is the equivalent of freefalling from approximately 155 meters (~500 feet). That is from the 50th floor of a building to the ground below (and then some in a motorcyclist shaped silhouette in the asphalt).

Consider that the average building you see in your local downtown which you would call a high-rise building is about 500-700 feet high (my own values I'm just guessing at averages). The Empire State Building is ~1200 feet high.

And here is the crazy number.....

If you fall off your motorcycle travelling at MORE than 200kph (~120mph) and hit a concrete wall head on it is the equivalent of hitting terminal velocity as a skydiver. So what this means is you are pretty much hitting the concrete barrier with the same force as a skydiver who has been falling from any height greater than 1800 feet. That number of 1800 feet takes air friction into account. A skydiver will hit just over 120 mph after dropping for 1800 feet in the real world with real air friction and with a normal skydiver stance of hands and legs fanned out without the chute deployed. So that means it's the same thing as hitting the ground after your chute didnt deploy from 2000 feet, or 10,000 feet, or 20,000 feet. You're hitting the concrete barrier with the same force as that skydiver hits the ground....

Now THAT is wild.

What can be learned from this? I will leave you all with one more statistic I picked up along the way someplace. It will contrast the rest of what I have written here and to me it forms the backbone of my rationale with urban riding.

As you increase the speed at which the motorcyclist travels in motor-vehicle accidents in the U.S. ABOVE 35 mph (~55-60kph) the FATALITY RATE INCREASES EXTREMELY DISPROPORTIONATELY. What this means is if you graph speed of motorcyclists at time of accidents against the number of dead motorcyclist you have a fairly nice rise until you get to 35 mph (~55-60kph). Once you trace the graph OVER that speed the number of fatalities starts increasing EXTREMELY quickly.

What does that mean? In and around town, obey the speed limit. Enjoy the ride.

Ride safe gentlemen.

Ride often.

Ride long and prosper *throws up Vulcan 'V'*

:Sport:

P.S. Get the piss and vinegar out your system at the track. Thats what I plan on doing anyway soon as I get enough miles under my belt to be confident enough to take my bike to the track. And I think track racing would actually make me a better road rider. Bike control and all that.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well those stats are interesting, it's not going to help you be a safe rider. You better concentrate on the statistics that pertains on more of "when-how-why" motorcycle accident happens. You should follow up on the study of the Hurt report. It's kind of old, but still has valuable info. If you don't know those stats, you may be putting yourself at more of a risk without realizing it.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Get the piss and vinegar out your system at the track.
I find it very difficult to control my speed and agression on the road after racing - and that's the next day after a good night's sleep. I race off-road enduro and even then it always takes me a couple of days to get back to normal. I can't imagine trying to do a trackday and then ride home.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
aye, this was just somethin I found interesting and REALLY drives the point of home of keeping the speeds sensible and what speeds actually ARE sensible.

As for other things to concentrate on aye Im focussing on a lot of things but tips are always good.

I will look into that report with great interest tomorrow morning.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
@ doorag Ive heard formula 1 drivers rarely speed in traffic on a regular basis. and i dont mean ride back from track I just mean thats where I plan on getting it out of my system. In the city just piddling about is more than enough to keep me happy. Hell im happy enough to just sit on the bike and dream haha (still snow on the ground here).

VA FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I was never good at math while in school and never bothered with physics. I have however taken many classes about common sense through my years. For example, seeing guys to wheelies at 20 mph in a controled parking lot environment = smart. Seeing guys doing wheelies at 80 mph down the freeway = death wish. Speed limit = smart. 120 mph on freeway = death wish. Obviously following the "rules of the road" will keep you safer. But for the most part (and i say the most part for the death wish riders) cage drivers are the biggest concern any rider will face.

While speed does increase the fatality rate, it is not uncommon to see people loose their lives in low speed situations. I knew a kid (my friends nephew) who passed away after wrecking his bike at about 10 mph.

Math and physics give great stats but smart riding and common sense will prevail any day. RIDE SAFE RIDE SMART.

W

wrightme43

Another factor to take into account is alot of the time the motorcyclist does not stop all at once. That energy it transfered in friction, not just a solid stop so it is spred out over time.

All gear really does is reduce the damage, If you come to a instant stop at 35 or higher its probley over.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it very difficult to control my speed and agression on the road after racing - and that's the next day after a good night's sleep. I race off-road enduro and even then it always takes me a couple of days to get back to normal. I can't imagine trying to do a trackday and then ride home.

i agree, the only speeding ticket i have ever gotten was right after a track day (next day on my way to work) and i was probably a little pumped from the track, it is just something you have to watch yourself for.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting post I have to say!! :)

When I began to read I couldn't help but think to myself "o here we go....another person with fancy numbers and another excuse for a post"...I'm a member of a few forums and there's always one..but with all that said...I was wrong to think that initial thought because that was an amazing post with very very clever theories/facts! :):)

Certainly was a nice breath of fresh air from the way I usually think about motorcycle riding!!

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
While I was reading this post, I was thinking that hitting a solid concrete wall is always bad...on a bicycle, in a car, in a motorcycle. I did a lot of research before I started riding too. In "Ride Hard Ride Fast" they say that 10% over the average speed is the safest speed (ie less accidents), but you're right, higher speeds tend to be more deadly if you do have an accident. To turn the statistics in my favor, I gear up. While my gear may not save me from a head-on with a concrete walls, it should help me survive a slide down the street

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I was waiting for a post like this a LONG time ago.

If you're riding 30kph in one direction (18 miles) and you strike another vehicle travelling TOWARDS you going 30kph (18 miles) you essentially ADD all the speed together. In this case, you'd count as travelling 60kph (~35mph). There's another way to earn your 5th floor fall.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol thanks guys I have nothing better to do with my time than read everything about motorcycling until I get out there. I am snowed in right now and it should be gone by middle of next week. Anyone want an indepth essay on the progression of moto gp bikes from a technological standpoint? haha.

In any event I just picked up a book called Idiots guide to motorcycling it is a GREAT read I recommend it to all (yes even the non-idiots). It is extremely insightful and written by a motorcycle safety instructor with an immense passion for biking. It covers everything form history of motorcycles to proper maintenance to community elements. It is a must have for ANY new rider. And even for the vets out there I humbly put it forth :)

peppaster

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to annoy anyone with mathematical details, but I think that everything can be easily understood with one equation:

E=1/2 m V^2

This is the kinetic energy of your body (of mass m) travelling at speed V.

When you hit the solid concrete wall you must somehow dissipate your "kinetic energy" (not your "speed"). Sad to say, but your body smashing and cracking on the wall is the way this energy is dissipated (if you are not hard enaugh to crack the concrete... :) ).

Looking at the equation, the energy at 60mph is 4 times larger than the energy at 30mph. This is why we have this big (quadratic) dependence of injuries/deaths versus speed.
Having an impact at 120mph is 16 times worse than 30mph!

Ride safe dudes!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
The best motorcycle crash, if you HAVE TO get into one, is a SLIDE OUT.

Here's a guy doing 100 MPH before SLIDING OUT into the trees:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62BGINcG09g"]YouTube - Motorcycle Crash into the Woods[/ame]

The trees saved him! I know it! Go out and plant one now! Ha ha ha.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A very interesting post indeed. The last paragraph sums it all up though. Be smart and safe.
In terms of medical trauma, a terminal fall can be considered to be 1 X the height of the patient if they land on their head.
Steve makes a great point about friction and sliding. Its not the fall, it’s the stopping that kills. I have had 5 falls (younger and stupid) at 60 - 80 mph. Always wore my gear but fortunately never hit anything to reduce my speed.
Slow speed falls can be equally dangerous.
Two years ago my colleague looked after a young man who fell of his MX bike at 20mph. He was drunk and not wearing any gear. He thought he was just winded so didn't come to hospital until he was at the point where his body was failing to compensate. He ruptured his spleen and died on the way to theatre within 20 minutes.
The moral remains the same for us all. Be safe and ride within your limitations.

Nelly

H

HavBlue

Not that it really matters but there is one place I can think of where all these thoughts and equations can be thrown right out the window. Years ago I was reading a study done by a vet in New York City. His interest was in the injuries associated with domestic cats that had fallen off ledges or out the windows of the high rise buildings in the city. The reason for his interest was fueled by the fact cats that had fallen from the 3rd floor and down had greater injuries than those who had fallen from the 5th and 6th floors. He later concluded that those cats who had fallen from the lower floors were muscle stiff and trying to prepare for the landing where the cats that had fallen from the higher floors were relaxed and muscle loose hence the reason for a change in the severity of the trauma.

Has anyone noticed that vehicle accidents where one of the occupants is drunk tend to have an outcome where the person who was not drunk has the more severe injuries than the person that was? Much like the cats in the study, they too are relaxed and muscle loose thus reducing the injuries.

Much like those who are familiar with JHA's or Job Hazard Analysis, motorcycling has risks and the two most common studies used for determining this risk are the HURT and MAIDS studies. Another place to find this data is the NHTSB (National Highway Traffic Safety Board) in the States. In any case, one thing is for certain, in most cases the riders had the ability to see the hazard between 11:00 and 1:00 in their forward field of vision and yet they failed to pick it up in the 1.8 seconds they had to react before impact. So, to me this boils down to one thing, FOCUS!!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was waiting for a post like this a LONG time ago.

If you're riding 30kph in one direction (18 miles) and you strike another vehicle travelling TOWARDS you going 30kph (18 miles) you essentially ADD all the speed together. In this case, you'd count as travelling 60kph (~35mph). There's another way to earn your 5th floor fall.
That’s very true Elm; it also makes it very difficult for EMS to establish how fast such and such were going. If you ask two different witnesses how fast some one is going you get two different answers. The speed of the accident often becomes irrelevant. It’s the condition of the person at the end of it that we are assessing.
On my night shift two persons came in to the ER after jumping out of a third floor window. Only one of them had an injury. There is always the factor of luck (hopefully).

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not that it really matters but there is one place I can think of where all these thoughts and equations can be thrown right out the window. Years ago I was reading a study done by a vet in New York City. His interest was in the injuries associated with domestic cats that had fallen off ledges or out the windows of the high rise buildings in the city. The reason for his interest was fueled by the fact cats that had fallen from the 3rd floor and down had greater injuries than those who had fallen from the 5th and 6th floors. He later concluded that those cats who had fallen from the lower floors were muscle stiff and trying to prepare for the landing where the cats that had fallen from the higher floors were relaxed and muscle loose hence the reason for a change in the severity of the trauma.

Has anyone noticed that vehicle accidents where one of the occupants is drunk tend to have an outcome where the person who was not drunk has the more severe injuries than the person that was? Much like the cats in the study, they too are relaxed and muscle loose thus reducing the injuries.

Much like those who are familiar with JHA's or Job Hazard Analysis, motorcycling has risks and the two most common studies used for determining this risk are the HURT and MAIDS studies. Another place to find this data is the NHTSB (National Highway Traffic Safety Board) in the States. In any case, one thing is for certain, in most cases the riders had the ability to see the hazard between 11:00 and 1:00 in their forward field of vision and yet they failed to pick it up in the 1.8 seconds they had to react before impact. So, to me this boils down to one thing, FOCUS!!!
Hi Charlie,
Do you have a link for the HURT or MAIDS study? I would like to do a comparison between UK studies in the same time frames.

Nelly