Temporary block AIS for tuning PC5

ZünRob

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to disable my AIS, for a proper AFR reading during dynotuning of the PC5. I however don't feel like blocking with plates. It there an easier method? Would just unplugging the sensor do the trick? (I ride an 08, so shouldn't be a problem...)
Or cap of a tube (which one?) somewhere?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The solenoid is Naturally OPEN so the "unplug option" is NOT a valid option. It needs switched power to close it!

The quote below is wrong.
Unplug the solenoid from under the battery box

or i suppose one could open the airbox and plug the air supply. Failure of the plug to stay in place could be VERY RISKY! Think stuck open throttle plates. Unlikely but possible. There are some active TPS threads. Look in those for pictures or search for JJD952 Engine and you'll find posts w pictures.
[MENTION=13563]ZünRob[/MENTION] [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
AIS is a popular mod for the SV1000 and people make block off plates for them (2 valve covers on the V-twin)

[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] Is that solenoid valve normally closed? I don't know how it's used except to take those gases from topside and burn them. :) Maybe it opens during a specific percentage of throttle position?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
N/O = Yes...
It takes filtered air from the box and when decelerating, the ecu opens the solenoid allowing air to be sucked into the exhaust ports through the head and valve cover. To the OP point, it must be disabled during AFR readings as it will make the mixture look lean and thus, add fuel it doesn't need.

Post 4 8 and here08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~

Finally got around to the block off plates. Pretty straight forward and I did some cleaning while there. Also - the FZ doesn't seem to care about the loss of the solenoid as the ECM isn't checking for continuity from the AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM SOLENOID (AIS). So its laying on the floor!
I also did some other testing on the bike regarding load both key on and key off. I found it interesting, but thats just me. See - post 14 --> http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/52362-draw-killing-battery.html

Spare parts....
53225d1400389582-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-dsc_7715-jpg

AIS Block Off Plates Installed:
53226d1400389582-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-dsc_7711-jpg

The plates I used use the OEM seal to seal them. As such, the reeds stay in the valve cover. It's nice to see Yama'r placed a cage around them should they destruct they likely won't find their way back into the engine.
53227d1400389582-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-img_20140517_130114_265-jpg

These port through the valve cover, into the head, and down to the exhaust port. They must be blocked for a Dyno run or it throws off the AFR / CO readings in the exhaust making it look lean when its not.
53228d1400390060-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-img_20140517_130104_043-jpg

FWIW: Air box removal is best done with a 6" 4mm ball head Allen wrench. From the ball head to the socket is 6.5". So a long reach Allen is really handy. Yes, I welded that POS together from scraps...
53229d1400390681-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-img_20140517_124113_745-jpg

To the right of the exh valve you see the hole where air comes in....
55885d1421012735-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-img_20150111_130703_415-jpg

Last edited:

ZünRob

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION]! I couldn't find photographs, but I guess I'll have to remove the battery, and then simply unplug the sensor? Would this result be the same as installing the blockplates, except of course for the extra space which would be gained by blocking?

ZünRob

Reaction score
Visit site
The solenoid is Naturally OPEN so the "unplug option" is NOT a valid option. It needs switched power to close it!

The quote below is wrong.

or i suppose one could open the airbox and plug the air supply. Failure of the plug to stay in place could be VERY RISKY! Think stuck open throttle plates. Unlikely but possible. There are some active TPS threads. Look in those for pictures or search for JJD952 Engine and you'll find posts w pictures.
[MENTION=13563]ZünRob[/MENTION] [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

So plugging the intake in the airbox would be the best temporary solution I suppose. Any advice for a good plug? :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION]! I couldn't find photographs, but I guess I'll have to remove the battery, and then simply unplug the sensor? Would this result be the same as installing the blockplates, except of course for the extra space which would be gained by blocking?

A little digging indicates this is not a valid option. Sorry, its not as simple as unplugging. It needs a 12V power supply to CLOSE the Valve and STOP air flow.

If you lift the tank you'll see the air hose into the air box. Perhaps disconnect it there and insert a dowel or marble into the hose and put it back. Confirm the plug can not fit through the fitting into the airbox.

Do not I corrected the posts above learning something new today.

ZünRob

Reaction score
Visit site
A little digging indicates this is not a valid option. Sorry, its not as simple as unplugging. It needs a 12V power supply to CLOSE the Valve and STOP air flow.

If you lift the tank you'll see the air hose into the air box. Perhaps disconnect it there and insert a dowel or marble into the hose and put it back. Confirm the plug can not fit through the fitting into the airbox.

Do not I corrected the posts above learning something new today.

Perfect, I'll start looking for a good plug! Thanks for the tip about making sure it can not fit through the fitting into the airbox, I had not thought about that, that it could be sucked back in!