Tempature coolant

Robin1989

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

At this moment it is in Holland around the 12 degrees (celcius). Not really cold, but the temperature of my coolant (fz6 s2 2010) is not very high. Even after 30km's the temperature stays at 70 degrees (celsius). When I stand still it slowly climbs up.

I heard that the sensor for the temperature is in a windy place. Is that correct? And is that the cause of the problem? My radiator is not warm when I am on my destination. What is the normal temperature?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never had a cooling temperature problem with my FZ6, but with ALL liquid cooled motors, the most common cause of this problem is a thermostat that is stuck open.

The thermostat is supposed to be closed when started cold. This keeps the coolant in the engine,allowing it to heat up quickly to operating temperature. Once warmed up, the thermostat opens to allow coolant into the radiator, which removes some heat to maintain operating temperature.

Hope this helps

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never had a cooling temperature problem with my FZ6, but with ALL liquid cooled motors, the most common cause of this problem is a thermostat that is stuck open.

The thermostat is supposed to be closed when started cold. This keeps the coolant in the engine,allowing it to heat up quickly to operating temperature. Once warmed up, the thermostat opens to allow coolant into the radiator, which removes some heat to maintain operating temperature.

Hope this helps

This would explain why my bike on a few occasions got up to temp, and then went back to 'Lo' once I started moving even slightly.

Robin1989

Reaction score
Visit site

Hope this helps
Thanks for the quick answer. I thought this was the problem. But when I arrive on my work (this is 45 minutes of driving) the radiator is cold. I can put my hand on the radiator without I can feel any heat. If the thermostat is open there must be warm water in the radiator...and you must feel this....or am I wrong.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick answer. I thought this was the problem. But when I arrive on my work (this is 45 minutes of driving) the radiator is cold. I can put my hand on the radiator without I can feel any heat. If the thermostat is open there must be warm water in the radiator...and you must feel this....or am I wrong.

Before you go any further, make sure there is enough coolant in the engine. If there is really low coolant which doesn't reach the temperature sensor, the engine will overheat while the gauge fools you into thinking the motor is cold! This is not likely, especially with a 30km ride, but I learned long ago to 'always test the test equipment'. If you are going to trust the temperature gauge then you need to make sure it is telling the truth.

You would only feel whatever warmth that the air did not carry away. These little engines do not generate much heat, so that little radiator can really lower the temperature, even at modest speeds.

If the water was warming up and not going through the radiator, then the bike would overheat quickly. Same thing if the water pump was not pumping the warm water up to the radiator. Don't let the cold radiator fool you, Without the initial jump in temperature with the thermostat closed, there is NO WAY to reach operating temperature.

Good luck and keep us informed.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
You've got no overheating. I don't think there's a problem.

My 06 (no temp read out) is registering "2 bars" on the temp gauge whilst moving and climbs to "3 bars" on the gauge when I stop.

This is perfectly normal for those ambient temperatures.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Fawlty

Reaction score
Visit site
You've got no overheating. I don't think there's a problem.

My 06 (no temp read out) is registering "2 bars" on the temp gauge whilst moving and climbs to "3 bars" on the gauge when I stop.

This is perfectly normal for those ambient temperatures.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

My 2006 is the same. Even in the high Summer here in Spain. Normal running 2 bars. If I ride in the high rev range it may go up to 3 bars for a while but will drop back down to 2. That said, occasionally in July/August around town it will go up to 4 bars, the fan cuts in and brings it down to 3.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats pretty normal as its right at the opening point of the T state to trickle coolant through. It is working as intended. Add in the fact that if you let it idle w/out moving, the temp climbs.

If the bike is new to you; consider replacing ALL of the fluids. Oil, coolant, fork oil, and brake fluid....

US bike bike does the same thing at the same temps.

Ultrarandom

Reaction score
Visit site
70 is where you should be. Mine is always around 70 - 73 while moving and then it climbs up when sitting still. When it climbs it should reach up to 100 then kick the fan on and bring it to 95 and keep circulating that until you get enough air moving through it again to bring the temp down.