Teaser: Winter Project ;)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice project! Fair warning, the stock FZ1 saddle is TERRIBLE! After 50 miles it feels like it's trying to crawl inside you, if you get my drift. It's way too soft.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job.....nice to see you are going the whole way with this...it will be a very very nice bike when done....

Cheers for sharing in such detail, all the work that is being done...i love it!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you for the inspiration Wolfman! I believe you have made us all think outside of the box when it comes to the possible modifications of the FZ.

Still much more work to be done!!

Nice project! Fair warning, the stock FZ1 saddle is TERRIBLE! After 50 miles it feels like it's trying to crawl inside you, if you get my drift. It's way too soft.

Would you call it better or worse than the FZ6 stocker? I hope to upgrade to another Corbin once I get all of the details ironed out.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Would you call it better or worse than the FZ6 stocker? I hope to upgrade to another Corbin once I get all of the details ironed out.

Having owned both bikes the FZ1 is worse, by far. I'm pretty that most of us who when from 6 to 1 will agree.

My bike came with a Corbin that I had reshaped by a local auto upholstery shop. I had them cut about 1/4 inch out of the back, and add about 3/4 inch in the front. I also had them use non-slip marine grade vinyl. I can now put in 500+ mile days with no problem!

I had them mod the pillion too, the wife is very happy with it now.

I'll try to find some photos of the work.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
More updates!

Received the proper bar mounts yesterday from Outlaw Racing. The first set I received (Part Number 12-041) had a large, flat base which was too wide for the triple clamp. The new set (Part Number 12-074, made for Kawasaki) has a narrow stand-off which will fit nicely.

Bar Mount View #1:

Bar Mount View #2:

The tricky part now is fixing the bar mounts to the upper triple. Check out the photo below. The upper triple has some large cut-outs that make mounting a project in itself.

My solution: fabricate a couple aluminum stand-off plates to bridge the hole. Not to toot my own horn, but I am excited out how well the first one turned out considering I only used a Jig-Saw, sand paper, and a few files.

Stand-Off View #1:

Stand-Off View #2:

Now I need to make an Identical opposite hand version...wish me luck.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some new parts Arrived!!

-16T Vortex, Steel, 520 Front Sprocket
-46T Vortex CAT5, Aluminum, 520 Black Rear Sprocket (For Kawasaki ZX6R rear Wheel)
-EK 520 Quadra X-Ring Chain, Natural Finish.

More to come on the ZX6R rear wheel install.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just received the axle blocks necessary to install the ZX6R rear wheel. The blocks were made with the same outside dimensions of the stockers with only the hole diameter and thickness updated to accommodate the Ø25mm Kawi Axle. For those that are wondering why I am changing the wheels; it really came down to pricing.

To re-use the FZ front wheel with the ZX6R forks you need two things: 1). Custom Axle w/ spacers and fork bushings (Axle/Bushings: $130, Spacers: $45). & 2). Custom Rotor Spacers which, due to the required tolerance, cost about $180!!.

However, to install a ZX6R rear wheel to the FZ, you only need three things: 1). ZX6R Rear axle with Custom Blocks (Blocks: $65, Rear Axle free with rear wheel), 2). ZX6R Rear caliper and mount @ $35, & 3). Relocated caliper mount @ ~$15.

The front and rear wheel from the ZX6R are essentially free once you sell the FZ wheels. So, with that, the difference is near $200 to re-use the FZ front wheel VS. swapping the set for ZX6R wheels.

More to come...

For now, axle blocks....Shiny!! :)

Last edited:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome!
What made you decide on the Zx6R forks?

Thank you for the compliment!

Well, there are a few reasons: The Kawasaki BPF Forks are supposedly one of the best stock forks in the super-sport world. That, along with the full adjustablilty and great styling ;)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well, there are a few reasons: The Kawasaki BPF Forks are supposedly one of the best stock forks in the super-sport world. That, along with the full adjustablilty and great styling ;)

These forks, i have read very goodthings about them, and they are starting to use this style of fork's on lots of other bikes now....

I reckon it's gonna be a sweet sweet thing!

:rockon:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These forks, i have read very goodthings about them, and they are starting to use this style of fork's on lots of other bikes now....

I reckon it's gonna be a sweet sweet thing!

:rockon:

I'm glad I am not the only one that has heard good things about them! My hopes are that I will get at least similar performance to dropping a set of Ohlin's Springs and Gold Valve emulators into the stock forks at a fraction of the cost.

As it sits right now, (Provided I sell the FZ rear wheel at a similar price that I paid for the ZX6 Rear wheel) I only have about $400 Net into this project!

ltdan

Reaction score
Visit site

Cool, I was wondering as I have seen a similar mod done with '01 R1 forks, which would keep it all Yamaha. The outer tubes on the R1 forks are gold though so these are much better looking.

USD forks might be a mod for me for next winter.Before riding season this year, I would plan to switch to an R1 tail, and an R6 swingarm, as well as general cleaning up of things that I slapped together to get it back on the road. So we'll see how that goes.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another Update:

Going Keyless has begun!!

For those of you that don't know; one of the issues with swapping the front forks is trying to find proper placement for the ignition switch on the new triple tree. In my case, rather than crudely modifying the ZX6 upper triple and sacrificing looks just to mount the switch; I have decided to get rid of it all together.

In comes Digital Guard Dawg. I won't go into too much detail as all of the information can be found on the companies website; basically, the system utilizes RFID technology to allow keyless starting. Just keep the "Dawg Tag" in your pocket and you can start the bike once you are within a predetermined distance. Pretty Slick!

Have the system ordered (should be here Friday). Also recieved and installed a keyless gas cap. Now all I need is a clever way to make the seat latch keyless and secure.

As always....Pictures!

Guard Dawg (Will post more on the install when it happens):

Gas Cap:

More to come....

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

Finally have everything completed with respect to the wheels. The ZX6R wheels have been stripped, powder-coated "Sable Black", bearings replaced, Pirelli Angels Installed, and finally sprocket and freshly painted rotors installed.

Puuurrrdddy!!!

Front Wheel with Flat Black Rotors:

Rear Wheel with Vortex Sprocket Installed:

Overall #1:

Overall #2:

Almost There ;)

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update #2:

As you know; I ditched the idea of re-using the stock FZ6 front wheel with the fork conversion because of the ridiculous cost of the required brake rotor spacers. Instead, I modified the rear of the bike to accept a ZX6R rear wheel to match the ZX6R front wheel (The cost of the ZX6R rims was a wash once I sold the FZ6 wheel set).

So, what had to be done you ask???

1): Purchase a ZX6R rear wheel with axle, spacers, & Rotor.
2): Purchase a ZX6R rear brake caliper and Mount.
3): Fabricate a set of modified axle blocks (See: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/33872-teaser-winter-project-5.html#post379659)
4): Calculate proper wheel spacer/caliper mount width to match the FZ6 rear wheel (Sprocket need to be in the same position as the stock FZ6 wheel).
5): Machine Spacers/Caliper Mount as Necessary.
6): Re-Position the caliper bracket mount point on the swing-arm.

Simple, Right!??

Re-Positioned Caliper Bracket Mount Point:

w/ Modified Caliper Bracket:

Caliper Bracket in Place #1:

Caliper Bracket in Place #2:

More to come once I complete a mock-fit, Paint, & Install!

Last edited by a moderator:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The months of work have finally paid off! :D:D:D

FinishedBike042.jpg

FinishedBike024.jpg

FinishedBike046.jpg

Front Wheel: -ZX6R Wheel, Forks, Brake Caliper, & Brake Disk-
FinishedBike017.jpg

FinishedBike018.jpg

Rear Wheel, RH: -ZX6R Wheel, Brake Caliper, Brake Disk-
FinishedBike004.jpg

FinishedBike007.jpg

Last edited:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Continued~

FinishedBike015.jpg

Rear Wheel, LH: -ZX6R Vortex 46T Sprocket w/ EK520MVXZ Chrome Chain-
FinishedBike013.jpg

FinishedBike010.jpg

Controls View:
FinishedBike028.jpg

FinishedBike031_rev.jpg

Randoms:
FinishedBike032.jpg

FinishedBike035.jpg

FinishedBike037.jpg

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am very envious of your skills, patience and vision, that is a very tidy looking bike, I have enjoyed reading all about the transition
I'm sure you are proud of it, i'll have to settle with being jealous
btw: really nice photos, clean and crisp