Teaser: Winter Project ;)

are those forks a direct swap???

I don't think that it is going to be that easy.Here is what I can tell from the limited information I can find:
-The steering stem is a larger diameter (which means I will have to either machine it or perhaps press-out and replace with the FZ stem, if it will fit)
-The axle is different (all I know at this point).
-The wheel should be a drop in once the axle is figured out (The spacing of the rotors appears to be the same as does the diameter, well Ø298mm versus Ø300mm)

I will know more one I have them in my hands next week. I will be sure to put together a thread for the build once I start.

I don't think that it is going to be that easy.Here is what I can tell from the limited information I can find:
-The steering stem is a larger diameter (which means I will have to either machine it or perhaps press-out and replace with the FZ stem, if it will fit)
-The axle is different (all I know at this point).
-The wheel should be a drop in once the axle is figured out (The spacing of the rotors appears to be the same as does the diameter, well Ø298mm versus Ø300mm)

I will know more one I have them in my hands next week. I will be sure to put together a thread for the build once I start.

Excellent! Good luck with the mod it will be fantastic :thumbup:

So that beautiful Jardine got the wheels in my head turning, and I went out and looked at the taillight. It doesn't look like it would be that hard to modify it to make it flat at the bottom; it is only the very back portion that is actually pointed, along with the black trim under it. A little cutting and plastic welding and the Jardine should fit in nicely. I may have to copy your idea on this one. There might be a little extra space to fill in along the sides but nothing too bad.

So that beautiful Jardine got the wheels in my head turning, and I went out and looked at the taillight. It doesn't look like it would be that hard to modify it to make it flat at the bottom; it is only the very back portion that is actually pointed, along with the black trim under it. A little cutting and plastic welding and the Jardine should fit in nicely. I may have to copy your idea on this one. There might be a little extra space to fill in along the sides but nothing too bad.

Sorry for the delayed reply but I've been in FL this week.

You mean a little something like this::thumbup:

Update!

Received the exhaust last week. The pictures just do not do it justice; but need to show it off anyway.

Must say, for $300 Shipped; I don't think it can be beat.

Well underway with the fork conversion.

Here is where I am:

-Custom Axle Being Made
-Steering Stem being Fitted into the ZX6 Lower Clamp
-Upper Triple Complete (See Below)

I am planning on putting together a full write-up once everything is complete.

And now...Pictures:

ZX6R Triple: Ignition Is too close to the frame; Solution? Its gotta Go!

Progress Photo: Ignition Bits Removed

Finished Product: Multiple Files, Dremel Tool, Sandpaper, Elbow Grease & Paint; Happy with how it came out though.

Still waiting on my axle and steering stem. In the mean time, I have removed the original "bump-stops from the Zx6R lower triple.

Before:

After:

Rather then welding new stops in place; I am going to take a lesson from a well-known aftermarket triple tree manufacturer: Attack Performance (Attack Performance - Precision Racing Products)

They use a cam style, bolt on stop, which will be an easy install to the triple.

Attack Triple Clamp (Stops outlined in red):

Stop Close-Up:

At $12.49 a piece it was really a no-brainer. All of the parts should be in early next week. Once the stem is pressed back in and the stops are installed I will be painting this the same Matte-Black as the upper clamp.

This needs to happen faster:)

More stuff for the Exhaust conversion.

This should keep me busy for a little while;)

FZ1 Tail Components:

*Insert evil doctor laugh here!

Custom axle is in!!

Major prop's to http://www.bankeperformance.com/; These guys were excellent in helping me decide what solutions there were for the axle install. In the long run, they came up with the idea of using a standard R6 axle with custom bushings to match the ZX6 forks. All-in-all we are talking $130 out the door with shipping, supplied axle, design help, and custom machined bushings.

I would recommend calling them for any of your custom motorcycle parts; very knowledgeable and willing to talk things over.

Pictures :)

Completed the lower triple:

-Pressed the machined steering tube back in
-Installed "All-Balls" tapered bearing
-Did a mock install to place steering stop blocks
-Drilled & Tapped stop block holes
-Painted Matte Black
-Installed Steering stops (Steering stops were a little different that I expected, Still work well though)

Pictures:

Fork Fit-up Phase 1 Finished

Completed Phase 1 of the ZX6R Fork Install (Pictures Below)

Remaining Items to Complete:

Phase #2:
-Once I receive the ZX6R wheels I need to verify that the rear will fit without any major custom parts. If it does fit; Phase 2 will be the install of the ZX6R wheels. If not, I will need to take some precision measurements for front wheel axle and brake rotor spacers.

Phase #3:
-Lose the clip-ons
-Fabricate base plate for standard handlebar risers.
-Install Handlebars
-Install Headlight & Speedo
-Relocate Ignition???

I am happy with how it is going so far...what do you think??

Nice job.....nice to see you are going the whole way with this...it will be a very very nice bike when done....

Cheers for sharing in such detail, all the work that is being done...i love it!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Back