taking NJ motorcycle road test friday, need advice! thanks

NJ GUS

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you considered taking an approved rider ed class? This will exempt you from the road tast. It's a win win.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
there's 2 options to go about getting your license here in NJ:

1. take your permit test (about 30 ques. on the computer at the DMV)
if you pass the first time (don't laugh, i didnt, and not everyone does either)
you have to wait atleast 20 days to take the road test at the DMV

20 day interim: ride alongside another licensed motorcyclist

take your road test, if you pass, then you get an 'M' added to your license

or the other option:

2. take your permit test, and then wait 20 days. then take a 3-day (8-hr per day) rider safety course at an approved facility and if you pass you can get a waiver certificate of completion to bypass the road test. take this to the DMV and get your license

i wasnt opposed to the rider safety course, i just literally couldnt afford the 3-days in a row. had i no experience what-so-ever i would have taken the course, but i'm well aware of how the motorcycle handles etc., i just keep my eyes wide open for the other drivers on the roadways

3-day course is NOT 8 hours a day, despite of what they tell you.
1st day starts at 6pm and ends at 10pm.
2nd day does run nearly 8 hours.
3rd day runs about 6 hours and you're done.
There are 2 free locations in NJ. There are many other locations, but it's a $250 fee (well worth it, imo).
And yes, NJ road test IS a joke.. has nothing to do with ability to ride motorcycle safely on the road.

aonello3

Reaction score
Visit site
regardless, i just cant afford 3 days in a row, i'm extremely busy

i'm, up in the Rt 17 area, 163 parkway exit, but like to ride down the shore or upstate NY & CT, out it in the open is VERY nice and enjoyable, the traffic can aget a little cumbersome in the NYC area, more time worrying, than actually enjoying the ride

so can anyone get me a definite answer if leather boots to above the ankle are required?

also regarding the 12ft apart cones (5 of them correct?) the manual says they're on a 2 ft. offset, but is that 2 ft. in both directions from a centerline? thus making them 4 ft apart? or is it a 1ft offset from centerline, making them 2ft. apart? i can do the 1ft. from centerline offset no problem, but the 2ft. offset from centerline (4ft.) is ridiculously hard. ??

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
Since the FZ6 has a touchy throttle, particularly in 1st gear - wouldn't it be a tough bike to pass a test with a lot of low speed twists and turns???

aonello3

Reaction score
Visit site
i've been keeping my foot on the rear brake and riding the clutch, it keeps it very stable while using the throttle

*please see my 'cones' question above, very important, thanks

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since the FZ6 has a touchy throttle, particularly in 1st gear - wouldn't it be a tough bike to pass a test with a lot of low speed twists and turns???

Nope. Just have to stay on rear brake and and this bike can do incredibly tight maneuvers smoothly and at very low speeds.

About boots.. I can guarantee that they do not require leather, but it WOULD be a very good idea to wear something over the ankle in height.
I'm not your mom, but I can't help but tell you that you should always wear proper gear. Remember that you're dressing for a possible crash every time you go out. Doesn't matter how amazing of a rider you are, it can still happen and if you're in a tank top and sneakers, you'll be out of commission and in pain a whole lot longer.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i've been keeping my foot on the rear brake and riding the clutch, it keeps it very stable while using the throttle

*please see my 'cones' question above, very important, thanks

Oh.. once again I am only speculating, but I bet that total offset is 2 feet.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As some other member has mentioned, you should seriously consider taking the Basic Rider's Course, as many members on this forum has. A successful completion of the course will result in an automatic licence, as all the testing is administered in the class.

You mentioned that you are very busy. Most DMV's, and Nevada included, usually have a very high fail to pass ratio. They don't really explain things very well, nor they care to do so. So if you don't know exactly what the path of travel is or know exactly what you need to do, you pretty much fail. There are no demo rides for you to observe like the BRC. So you have to waste your time, and do it again, and who knows when that will be. Nevada is backlogged up to six months.

If you've already been riding, as a Rider Coach, I can almost guarantee that you will pass the BRC, but cannot guarantee your outcome with the DMV.

The cost of the BRC is irrelevant, as most insurance companies will offer a discount up to 15-20% for taking the class. The money you would save in one year will probably be more than what you would have paid for the class. Plus, you may learn a few things, plus good habits that may just save your life one day.

Good luck either way.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
also regarding the 12ft apart cones (5 of them correct?) the manual says they're on a 2 ft. offset, but is that 2 ft. in both directions from a centerline? thus making them 4 ft apart? or is it a 1ft offset from centerline, making them 2ft. apart? i can do the 1ft. from centerline offset no problem, but the 2ft. offset from centerline (4ft.) is ridiculously hard. ??

It sounds like the NJ test is at least partially based on the Alternate MOST test, described here. The total cone offset is 2 feet. An offset of 2 feet from center or 4 feet total would be dang nigh impossible, in my opinion, although I'm sure there are many Forum members who could do it of course:)

I cannot answer your questions about boots.

aonello3

Reaction score
Visit site
Called the NJ DMV state offices in Trenton, here's what i was told regarding required gear for the road-test:

1. DOT Helmet (obviously), but with reflective tape on both sides

2. long sleeve clothing

3. long pants

4. full leather gloves

5. boots that cover up and above the ankle (leather not required)

6. protective eye gear

but the person i spoke to, as well as with the supervisor could not comment on the actually specific dimensions of the road test, which i think is kind of ridiuclous.

i also sent notice to their advocacy dept. about the complete lack of clarity on the state motorcycle manual. but since it's NJ, i'm sure nothing will come of it.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
...but the person i spoke to, as well as with the supervisor could not comment on the actually specific dimensions of the road test, which i think is kind of ridiuclous.

Could not comment because he/she did not know, or refused to comment? Either way, if they are using the Alternate MOST test, the dimensions are given in the Webbikeworld article link I provided. They probably have the course marked out on their testing area, can you go up there after hours and check it out? In Ohio there are signs at the testing areas that say something like "No practice", but it would take a real jerk of a cop to bust your chops about it. But based on all of the other NJ requirements (leather gloves? - bring your bike on a truck? - etc. - ) they probably have the test area behind a fence topped with razor wire with guard dogs on duty after hours.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I myself took the Pa safety course, but I know a number of people who have taken the Jersey test. Don't quote me on this, but your going to have to

-do a quick stop where you ride until he drops his arms and you have to stop immediately. He times you with a stop watch and the longer it takes you to stop, the more points you get (which is bad).

-figure 8's in a box (i think its a 15' by 12' box) that you have to do 2 tight uturns in a figure 8 pattern. If you go out of the box, you will get points.

-roll on throttle around a slight curve

-and evasive maneuvering where you swerve left and swerve right to avoid a cone.

you shouldn't need reflective tape, but it wouldn't hurt. I would highly suggest wearing boots that cover your ankle as its a good habit to have, and they will check your footwear.

Just don't let the handlebars hit the ground or you will fail. Don't drive like a maniac or even get into 3rd gear unless they tell you. Its a simple test, stay calm and as long as you show your capable of learning and following directions, you'll be fine.

Good luck!

When I took the Pennsylvania motorcycle test as a 16 year old (way back in 1984....) the figure eights were the tough part, since you had to keep your feet on the pegs.

I had been riding off-road for years, and on the street behind my dad for a couple of months, but getting my heavy 1979 CB750F to do the figure eights took some practice and I failed the first time, since I didn't know that I had to do them. I immediately went to an empty parking lot and practiced doing the u-turns in two empty parking spots. When I went to retake the test the next week, I was relieved to see that the two parking lots were much smaller than the actual box used in the test, so I passed with flying colors.

If I had to do it now, I'd definitely take the MSF class. That's the way to go.

In an interesting note, I took only my motorcycle driving test when I turned 16 in that September, so I had only motorcycle certification on my driver's license. Finally, come December, I realized that driving a car would be good too, so I took the car portion of the test. I wonder how few people have only motorcycle certification on their driver's license? :)

aonello3

Reaction score
Visit site
in NJ, that's a class E license (motorcycle only), but that's pretty rare, just getting your regular license here is a feat now, pretty much gotta be 18, driving provisional from 17, permit at 16 though crazy how some states are: 'full out license at 16'.

so did anyone in NJ truck their bike to the test? did the inspector/tester check to see that you indeed trailer'd or truck'd it in?

aonello3

Reaction score
Visit site
okay folks, i passed. barely, i'll get to that in a minute. so i hope the information i'm dropping right here will help for all that are preparing to take the road-test, in Lodi, NJ atleast.

for starters, i had a licensed rider come with me. but if i were to just 'show up' that wouldn't have worked, b/c the tester wouldve said 'how'd you get it here', kinda out in the open, so if you have no licensed rider, you'll have to truck it in.

secondly, make sure you have all your gear. (this is NOT listed in the manual), boots which extend up and above the ankle, not necessarily leather, i used a pair of timberland work boots. jeans/pants, full sleve clothing (i wore my jacket), full leather gloves, helmet obviously, and reflective tape ont he helmet, here's where i screwed myself a bit, i got 2" refelctive candy-cane tape, and put a strip down both sides of the helmet and the back, which was more than fine for the testing instructors, but near impossible to get the stuff off my helmet (it took me a while).

3rd: the road test.
if you rent a scooter you'll be fine, and if you can't handle it on a scooter, you shouldnt be on ANY bike.
i used my FZ6, i practiced in my cul-de-sac for about an hour over a few days before.

the first part of the road test is your ability to go about 50ft, make a left turn through an angle, it's 90d and about 3.5 ft. wide, not hard, but make sure you do a wide then sharp turn in so your back tire doesnt touch the paint, then make another wide left turn, no boundaries for this, (u-turn basically), and follow along a white line for 50ft. and come to a stop with your front tire in a 2ft. box.

the next part, welcome to impossible land. this pissed me off. so basically hadda go back the other way, making right turns and thru that 90d angle box, and as you come back (mind you, momentum is not on your side, you can never really get it going) they expect you to make a double right 90d turn in a 12 ft. box and as you make the 2nd right 90d turn, they want you to stop immediately in the u-turn position, against the far line, and in between that line and a dashed line offset 18". YEAH RIGHT. just looking at it, i knew i couldnt do it, i dont think anyone could on a bike. so here's where i nearly failed the test. you lose 5 pts. for putting your foot down (did that), and another 5 pts. for going over the yellow paint (did that too). HAD I KNOWN THIS before hand, i would've done one or the other. so i got my maximum 10 pts. right there, now i had to finish the test with ZERO room for error.

the next step was 'stopping distance', now i had to keep shutting my bike off, (i have akropovic tails), so i could hear the lady instructor (by the way, i had two testers, but i think the one guy was just there to watch), so anyways, i kept shutting my bike off, and since i was bogging around, i stalled reall quick on one of my start-ups, but since it wasnt during a portion of the test, they didnt fail me, but DO NOT STALL during any portion of the test, automatic fail.

so stopping distance, get up to 15 mph, 1st gear is fine, not a requirement to get up to 2nd gear, pass through a pari of cones about 3.5ft apart. and as soon as your front tire passes the cones, get on the brakes (dont skid, i'm pretty sure that might be considered a 'dangerous manuerver' and grounds for failure, but dont quote me on that.) there's a red line that's supposed to symbolize a vehicle, make sure you stop before your front tire touches that (honestly this one is very easy)

next up, the dreaded cone test. okay every, calm down. i practiced with 1 Liter water bottles in my cul-de-sac, here's what you do. get a clear path (obviously), place your first cone. measure out straight 12ft exactly, and then 2ft. to the right polace your next cone. you should place 5 cones (1-Liter bottles, what-have-you) in a straight line, with the 2nd & 4th cone offset 2 ft. to the right.

the actual road-test cone set-up: the cones are tiny baby cones, they'll pretty much fit in the palm of your hand, so yuo really dont have to worry about your pegs knocking them over. after you come around the last cone, you make a right turn and head for that 3.5 ft offset 90d angle box, make a right turn through there and head straight, you're safe. i had no problem with this., but do practice.

the last portion of the road test is going through those same set of cones for that 'stopping distance' portion, except instead of stopping, you have to swerve left or right (whichever tickles your fancy), around that red-line. this is cake, but you cant use your brakes. some pointers on this one is watch that red line. you can barely see it, i almost asked them to put 2-cones, 1 on each end, the yellow paint you can see, but the marroon red in the sun in a black parking lot, no dice. sucks, but that's the way it's setup.

so i hope this helps anyone who's taking the test in the future in NJ. just remember, the 12 ft box u-turn is nearly impossible, so if your gonna put your foot down, DONT, just go over the line and take the 5 pt. hit.

anything over 10 pts. is grounds for failure. my isntructors were actually pretty cool, and they were impressed that i accomplished it on an actual motorcycle. they sadi: "we havent seen one of those in a long time, we dont get too many of them anymore"

also, another tip for the Lodi, NJ DMV is just go in and get your stamp, and take a ride up to Oakland or Wyckoff for the endorsement, my test was at 2:00 in Lodi, and i have the "M" on my License by 1:36 in Oakland.

and then i wrote this e-mail to the NJDMV advocacy dept.:

Comments:
Attn: Advocacy Dept.

This is in regards to the NJ MVC Motorcycle Road-Test & Manual:

on behalf of the motorcycle community, myself & fellow riders are a little concerned on how the Motorcycle Manual & Road Test are set-up.

For starters, the permit test alone is a little ridiculous. There's a question on there: "What's the most common type of alcohol..?" the Answer is "Beer", but let's be honest, what exactly does this have to do with handling a motorcycle?? (And I know, it's listed in the driver's manual so we should know it, but let's be human for once.)

The motorcycle manual, is NOT clear WHATSOEVER as to the requirements of the Road Test. It DOES NOT list in any sort of clarification of the Required Gear necessary to take the test.

Onto the actual 'road-test', was this created by anyone who has actually riden a motorcycle? what in the world does navigating through 12 ft. apart cones at a very slow speed with-out putting your foot-down have to do with riding a motorcycle in traffic? What rider in their right mind wouldn't put their foot down while making a very tight turn for safety reasons?

Is it any wonder that just about 90% of the people taking the road-test, take the actual road test on a $100 scooter rental from the local motorcycle dealer?

The manual should list the 'exact dimensions' of the motorcycle road test. Instead, someone took the time to sketch out the course, but didnt put dimensions on it.

I dont think i'm asking too much here, and i think i speak for anyone who has taken the road test in NJ.

YOU GUYS SERIOUSLY NEED TO TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE MOTORCYCLE MANUAL AND ROAD-TEST REQUIREMENTS.

I look forward to a response.

Thank you!

- Angelo

Last edited:

crobinson1324

Reaction score
Visit site
hey man glad to hear you passed you test!!! you should have came down to tennessee and took it lol when i took my road test i done it in shorts tennis shoes and a tee shirt, drove 1/2 miles made a "legal u turn" and then 1/2 mile back lol it took all of 3 minutes 5 if you count gettin my picture made. too easy... yeah, some riders that shouldnt be on a bike could pass the test just thankful that it wasnt ridiculously hard.... GOOD JOB ON PASSIN THE NJ TEST :thumbup:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
okay folks, i passed. barely....

Congratulations on passing. From your description, it sounds like New Jersey took the standardized test and added/changed stuff to make it even harder (and even less representative of your real abilities.) You have to make what is essentially a u-turn in a 12 foot box?! Jeez, the standard test gives 20 feet for up to 500 CC and 24 feet for larger bikes. Also, you don't have to ever make that sharp right turn to the right, only once to the left.

You were very restrained in your complaint letter to the DMV. I doubt that you will get a response or cause any change. Actually, you might. Would you put it past them to make it illegal to rent scooters for people to take the test, or make you take it on a bike registered in your name?

Okay, now you have your license, be careful out there!