Taillight Mod

jniedermeyer

6 Time SuperBowl Champs
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone fitted a Clear Alternatives integrated led taillight yet? Any ideas where to mount the resistors?

Last edited:
Has anyone fitted a Clear Alternatives integrated led taillight yet? Any ideas where to mount the resistors?
does that have the turn signals built in? if so how much was it? what years does the kit cover? I've wanted to do a fender eliminator kit since I bought my bike, but I haven't found one with integrated turn signals in the tail/brake light.

You might research a electronic flasher module. It doesnt care what the resistence of the circuit is, it makes them flash perfectly. I dont know that it will fit, as I have not put my hands on the flasher module for the FZ6. More than likely though it is a normal flasher unit, and it is a very simple swap if so.

that will clean up the rear.anyone seen flush mounts for the front?

comp werkes makes some nice ones, have them on mine...they do seem to leak water a bit though, and you'll need resistors to make them flash normally. I just let them flash fast, though.

you'll be needing red LEDs, A circuit board and resistors, the resistors are placed at the back of the circuit board. All you need is some computation on the ohms and some soldering skills cause you need to soldier everything in the circuit board.

its very bright during the day too if youre directly behind them. from the sides it looks normal. my dad says they are brighter than stock.

Since we're on the subject: I received CA LED tailight board (non-integrated) and---does someone know?---how does one remove the stock tailight lens assembly? It appears that one has to remove the whole tailight assembly first (one cannot simply remove/unscreww off the lens) and that one must remove at least some body parts in order to pull out the stock tailight assembly. Anyone done this already? I have a 2007. I couldn't find anything in the service manual. I hate it when I disassemble parts which I later discover was unneccessary. I tried a thread search (but maybe not hard enough?)

I really like the idea of having the turn signals integrated into the tail light. Has anyone done this? Is it good enough? and/or legal?

Ben

When I bought my bike it had the Clear Alternatives LED tail light with integrated turn signals installed. It looks sweet - very clean. The turn signals are pretty dim in sunlight though (according to a friend that was riding behind me last week).

I had to remove the taillight and replace it with the stock taillight for inspection, so I have a limited idea of how it is installed. They had used stock connectors so it was a simple swap, but it was a bother to do it twice in two days.

there is a video of it on youtube. Just go to the site, do a search on FZ6. You may have to scroll thru a bunch of stuff, but i did see that video this past week.

Personally, I'm looking for some red lenses for my rear tun signals. I want to conver then to running/turn indicators. Can anyone help with sources? I know I'll have to change the wiring/sockets/bulbs,
but my main challenge is finding red lenses.

(this oughta give the motorists something better to aim at)

there is a video of it on youtube. Just go to the site, do a search on FZ6. You may have to scroll thru a bunch of stuff, but i did see that video this past week.

Personally, I'm looking for some red lenses for my rear tun signals. I want to conver then to running/turn indicators. Can anyone help with sources? I know I'll have to change the wiring/sockets/bulbs,
but my main challenge is finding red lenses.

(this oughta give the motorists something better to aim at)

Use clear covers and red bulbs?

Since we're on the subject: I received CA LED tailight board (non-integrated) and---does someone know?---how does one remove the stock tailight lens assembly? It appears that one has to remove the whole tailight assembly first (one cannot simply remove/unscreww off the lens) and that one must remove at least some body parts in order to pull out the stock tailight assembly. Anyone done this already? I have a 2007. I couldn't find anything in the service manual. I hate it when I disassemble parts which I later discover was unneccessary. I tried a thread search (but maybe not hard enough?)

Yes! Yes! Yes! I have this exact same problem.

I bought an LED Tail Light Board (just the Lights) from Clear Alternatives. I was told by CA that it would fit in my OEM Tail Light Cover (which I am sure it will).

The problem is, I don't know how to do the installation. I took the Seat off and removed the 2 Screws there that were holding the Tail Light Cover on, but then I couldn't pop the Tail Light Cover out the back. I gingerly tried for 20 minutes to pop it out. I looked but did not see anything that would potentially be holding it back. I looked on the Internet (and I thought I looked pretty hard) and to my surprise, I could not find anywhere a post or instructions on how to get the Tail Light Cover out.

Is there something I am missing here? Do I need to take apart more of the bike in order to get the Tail Light Cover out? If so, what parts? Also, can you disassemble the Tail Light Cover? I am assuming it comes apart (once you get it out) because how else would you be able to place the LED Board in there? And, do you need to secure the LED Board in the Tail Light Cover somehow or did CA manufacture it so it fits in the snugly?

Thank you all very much, in advance, for all of your time and help. I appreciate it very much.

Dan Z.

I installed a Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail light today.
What a battle....the Tail light R&D department at Yamaha have WAY too much time on their hands.
Anyhow, here's some photos of the process for those who are contemplating doing this mod. After removing the seat and both plastic side pods:-

Taillight1.jpg

Taillight2.jpg

Taillight3.jpg

Slide the grab handle/tail light assembly backwards and off the bike.

Taillight4.jpg

Taillight5.jpg

Taillight6.jpg

Taillight7.jpg

Taillight8.jpg

Taillight9.jpg

Taillight10.jpg

I will post some pictures of the lights operating tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back