Tail Bag question

mike62858

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
This may seem silly,but...
I want to get a Tail bag (Corte or Soft Givi), but I dont think I will be able to get my leg over the bag to get on the bike.I'm 5'-6"
Anyone have a suggestion or something they did.
I dont want saddle bags.
Thanks
Mike

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Cortech Tail bag and I either stand very far forward by the handlebar and bend my leg and guide my foot over the rider's seat or I stand on the foot peg and pull the other foot up and over. You can do it. Put a small couch pillow up there, about 1' by 1' and try this a few times so you'll know what it will be like. After a few tries, you'll not knock the pillow off. :D

S

sportrider

I had a regular back pack on my FZ6, I got a cortech sport tail bag for my R1. I just swing my leg over it. you can put your knee on the seat and just whip your boot over the bag, sounds kinda dumb but you'll get used to it and won't even think about it after a while.

FZ6 in Gresham

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
This may seem silly,but...
I want to get a Tail bag (Corte or Soft Givi), but I dont think I will be able to get my leg over the bag to get on the bike.I'm 5'-6"
Anyone have a suggestion or something they did.
I dont want saddle bags.
Thanks
Mike

I got a Cortech tail bag I love. I'm sure it looks silly, but I do a front kick to get my foot over the seat then hop the rest of the way until I can sit. Know that I write it out I can imagine how funny it must look:rof:. You need good balance and make sure you don't kick the bike over (I've haven't done that yet).

Anyways the other members have better Idea's. I just thought you would all get a kick out of the mental image.:mikebike:

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a Cortech tail bag I love. I'm sure it looks silly, but I do a front kick to get my foot over the seat then hop the rest of the way until I can sit. Know that I write it out I can imagine how funny it must look:rof:. You need good balance and make sure you don't kick the bike over (I've haven't done that yet).

Anyways the other members have better Idea's. I just thought you would all get a kick out of the mental image.:mikebike:

I do it that way too - like punting a football. Just be sure kickstand is solidly planted, cause I usually pull bike towards me a little in the process. Getting the leg off is just as funny. Usually have to pull upwards on my trouser cuff to get the leg up enough to clear seat. 5'6" and 56 years old ... yoga might help :eek:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I stand on the foot peg (left foot on left peg) and then pull the right leg under and over to the other side - seems a lot more graceful (relatively speaking) than the foot-led "swing and hop" it takes to do it the other way. The harder part is remembering that the bag is back there on dismount.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel yer pain! :(
I have a Nelson-Rigg small bag & I'm 5'7" & I don't really have a problem w/just leaning a little forward & clearing the tail bag well enough. I just have to consciously do it every time or I brush the top of the bag.
Here's a problem I did have w/it once tho'; I had pulled into a parking spot & didn't turn it around at the time. I could have then cause there were open spots on either side. When I got back there were cars on either side so I had to maneuver it around to get back out. Stupidly I got on it, started it & tried to walk it around by stopping, pulling forward, etc. On the last little effort forward my left foot was too close to the peg & it got just topsided to the left & I had to try to quickly swing my rt. leg over to catch it before we all went down...................yep, my rt. foot hit the tail bag just enough to slow it up from a complete recovery. Since my left foot was so close to the bike I managed to somehow get my left knee into the bike somewhere & sort of support the bike w/my left leg/knee from totally dropping & meanwhile I had my rt. foot extricated from that stupid tail bag & here I was gripping the bars, engine starting to gain rpm, straining to hold it up.... I managed to release my deathgrip on the rt. bar enough to let my finger flick to stop sw. I then got my rt. hand somewhere on the frame & strained my guts out to get the bike back up. I was actually out of breath by the time I got back on the bike & rode away.
I had a sore spot on my left knee for 2 weeks!
Oh, yeah - I had just left the Chiropractor's office!! I needed to go back!:(
Anyway, the tail bag's been off & on since then. Only gonna use it when I think I'm gonna need it.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I just stand on the left peg (with the kickstand down) then swing my leg over whatever I have on my rear seat. Getting off is just reverse....put kickstand down, stand on pegs, swing right leg back and over.

ms mrdr

PB4UGO
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a cortech bag also..and I am 5' 8" and I have some troubles sometimes..I find I forget its there and about fall on my butt..I have to concentrate a bit...