synthetic oil = more buzzy feeling ?

coreride

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 09 with just under 16k miles. Just changed the oil to sikolene fully synthetic 10w40. I have been using yamalube 10w40 til now. The only thing i did was change the oil and filter and now the bike really has a whole new level of buzzing to it. Anything over 3500 rpm and I can feel it thru the seat and pegs like never before. buzzing thru the pegs is so bad now that my feet are going numb. Was never like this before i changed oil. thoughts? suggestions? Should i just change the oil back to yamalube?

care to elaborate as to why this would be affected from just changing oil? after doing some researching i do think it may be a good idea to sync the throttle bodies, but i dont understand the difference in vibrations just from the oil change

you're at 16k miles, the buzz is most likely from other things, like needing a throttle body sync.
most threads like this are "ZOMG! I switched to synthetic and there's less BUZZ!!!"
kudos for racking up those miles for an 09 :thumbup:

Last edited:
I highly doubt that its anything to do with the oil as if just put my first synthetic non Yamaha oil into my 29,000 mile 09 plate. And no buzzing here, as stated check the throttle sync.

Although about 6k ago I did get a buzzing in the left peg was a worn rubber bush on the peg.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Weird, i found exactly the opposite when i changed to fully synthetic Motul 7100 oil, much smoother, better gear changes, etc...in fact at 48000km's, my FZ6 that runs full synthetic oil runs like a swiss watch compared to my other FZ6, that runs semi synthetic 5100, and has only 16000km's on the clock....

Maybe a throttle body sync as already suggested, is in order.

:thumbup:

Weird, i found exactly the opposite when i changed to fully synthetic Motul 7100 oil, much smoother, better gear changes, etc...in fact at 48000km's, my FZ6 that runs full synthetic oil runs like a swiss watch compared to my other FZ6, that runs semi synthetic 5100, and has only 16000km's on the clock....

Maybe a throttle body sync as already suggested, is in order.

:thumbup:

Not to hijack the thread, but I use 5100 as well with a K&P SS cleanable filter. The 7100 made that big a difference? I may have to bite the bullet and try the 7100..

BTW, I usually change the oil every 2,000 miles, how long (miles) are you going between oil changes with the 7100?

As for the original post, a throttle sync will help a lot with the vib's. I suspect it just got out enough at that mileage to make a noticable difference. If your mechanically inclined (its not real hard to do), I'd strongly suggest getting a syncronizer and doing it yourself. (I own a Carbmate and love it, very nice unit). The shop will charge more for a sync than you can buy the unit and you can fine tune to your hearts content. I had a bad vib at 4k, thru the seat. I synced the TB's at both idle and 4K and got rid of 90% of the vibs.. The shop would have synced it at idle and probably would have left it as it was as it was still within spec's. I got it dead on and it does make a difference..

I picked up a Syncpro Carburetor Tuner from Motion Pro and adjusted everything today. Got things tuned up and the buzzy feeling is much better then it was but still not as smooth feeling as it was before the synthetic oil change. I think I am going to live with it burn some miles and get to my next oil change and try a different oil. At least now i have the tool to keep things in sync on a regular basis.

I was using Amsoil and changed to Motul 5100 and noticed less buzz. Though it was my imagination but after reading your thread maybe there could be something to it.

Back