suzuki gsx 650f or fz6

jpowell

Reaction score
Visit site
Opinions may be biased but wondering if anyone here has ridden both of these bikes? I have a tourer and a cruiser but am wanting a sport bike again as well. Opinions on these 2 bikes would be appreciated. Thanks.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same exact list of bikes. I went to a local Yamaha dealer who had a 2008 GSX650F in stock and sat on them (wasn't allowed to test ride them as I didn't have my license at the time). Just sitting on them the gsx felt heavy. Also I am 6ft 6 tall and there felt like there was more room on the FZ6.

In the end it was more of the Yamaha name (and the extra 20 or so HP) that made my mind up.

There is a Black 2009 FZ6 sitting in my garage.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of the same deal here. My best friend worked at Beaverton Honda Yamaha Suzuki and I was looking at both. He let me ride both and I just loved the FZ6. Althought I was not sold on the handle bars at all. He gave me the family deal and I love it more each day. JUST DO IT :Sport:

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to give a biased opinion here as I do own the FZ6. All I can say is you have to feel it out yourself and test ride the bikes. I personally like the in line 4 on the fz6 and like the feel it gave me for my height(6ft) and weight(censored). I like the under tail exhaust VS the conventional exhaust. And the fact that the bike packs a punch for a 600 with approx 98BHP for a very reasonable price. But as you see these all all my personal preferences.

I cannot speak for the Gsx but I will vouch for the FZ6 as it has done well for me.

The FZ6-R is a more similar looking bike to the GSX 650R have you seen that one yet ?

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want a sport bike, or something at least more sporty, the FZ6 is by far the better bet. The GSX650 is a lot like the old katana's in my opinion (having ridden the katana's and the GSX650). They have plenty of power for every day, but are definitely a more touring bike. Very heavy underneath you and you can feel it (i actually preferred the can-o-tuna). The FZ6 will run circles around the GSX650, though both are very good bikes, just one is more sporty! :rockon:

(Any other questions, shoot me a pm if you like)

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
I was making the same decision. I'd owned a GS500 and would've felt comfortable moving to a GSX650F. After a lot of looking and sitting and general waffling, I settled on the FZ6 because I liked the styling of the farings better, the underseat exhaust and it's got more a lot more horse power (by less CCs, which was always funny to me).

Really it's all personal preference. For instance, one of the major factors for me could have been that the GSX650F looked exactly like my GS500, which may have swayed me to the FZ6's stylings. Comes down to which bike you envision your badass self riding down the street while all the ladays go 'ooh' 'aah'.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were given the choice, I would choose the FZ6 because...
Price: FZ6 is more affordable
Features: centerstand, center mounted undertail exhaust
Engine: I prefer the FZ6's high reving 600cc motor over the torque rich 656cc motor
Weight: FZ6 is much lighter than the GSX650F
Looks: I really like the naked look of the FZ6 over the faired GSX650F and also because the FZ6 does not have fairings, it is easier to perform maintenance on it.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a comparison of the two bikes on my website. Basically the FZ6 is better in many many ways. The Suzuki wins in two ways: you don't have to pay extra for the full-fairing and the engine is sooooo smooth! As you have a tourer already (which the smooth engine would make the Suzuki better for in some ways), I would go for the FZ6. More support and after-market parts for it too!

jpowell

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input so far. How is the wind protection on the FZ6? I am 6'1".
Leaning towards the Yamaha. I have a 2003 BMW 1150 RT, and a "new" 2007 Vstar 1300 currently, and will soon have a 1979 Honda CBX for sale.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6' and find that my 04 FZ6 is great for wind protection with the stock screen, but that really is a matter of personal taste. A lot of people moan about buffeting on a lot of bikes but to be honest I very rarely find a machine that causes me any concerns in that department - I'm not sure I can think of one.

What I do find with the FZ6 is that the footpegs seem to be too far forward, and that moving my feet back means my left heel sits on the mainstand pad. Irritating rather than anything else.

Pelicanglider

Citizen of Creola
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'10" and sold a R1150R to get the FZ6. The wind protection on the FZ6 is just as good as it was on the BMW (which had a sport fairing). That is to say it's very good. I like having head and shoulders in the wind stream. I find it's more comfortable than being completely behind the screen and the FZ6 fairing does a great job!

Performance wise, it's the FZ6 hands down! You want a tube steel frame or a modern pressure cast aluminum frame. The FZ6 is 100lbs lighter and 20hp up on the Suzuki. I rest my case!

Last edited:

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
I too was very interested in the 650f. That was before I sat on and then rode the fz6. The bikes are completely different from one another i think in most categories, even ergonomics. I chose the fz6 for many of the reasons stated in others posts, additionally the yamaha finished quality just looked better. A lot of bang for your buck in the fz6. I like to compare it to the chevy nova of yesteryears. A real sleeper.

pedge1

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my FZ-6 last month, the two bikes on my list were the GSX-650 and FZ-6R. The money was the same and I was going to buy the Suzuki. The dealer told me that he also had a hold over 2008 FZ-6. After riding the three bikes back to back, the choice was easy - FZ-6. The fact that it was also $1200.00 cheaper was a nice bonus. The FZ-6 fit my 6', 270 lb body much better and the extra horsepower was noticeable. I have put over 1000 miles in the FZ-6 and haven't regretted it for a minute.

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you use the bike? If you do lots of freeway driving, the GSX650f may be the better bet due to its heavier (more stable) weight and exceptionally smooth engine with decent torque down low. Most consider it to be a superior touring bike to the FZ6. Otherwise, I think the FZ6 is better.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you use the bike? If you do lots of freeway driving, the GSX650f may be the better bet due to its heavier (more stable) weight and exceptionally smooth engine with decent torque down low. Most consider it to be a superior touring bike to the FZ6. Otherwise, I think the FZ6 is better.

Unless your looking for that screaming powerband the FZ6 is amazingly placid for normal cruising of anything up to 120-130km/h, heavier doesn't mean more stable unless its well designed either
Every review I've read has placed the FZ6 as the best all round bike, and great for touring and 2 up, I've done a few longer trips and literally couldn't ask for anything better, and I only have the N model, so no fairings for wind protection either.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
have u seen a gsx 650f in person? it looks like a long metal hotdog wrapped in a plastic bun.