Super Quiet Motorcycle Exhaust Question

hughes8049

Reaction score
Visit site
Last night a guy on a silver Ninja went by me in a parking lot. He took off onto the highway and his bike made almost no noise. He was flying, but his bike sounded like it had a silencer on it or something. Does anyone know who makes exhaust systems like that? I have heard of quiet "sleeper" exhaust systems on cars that don't get load until you get on it, but this guy was hauling and I swear his bike was barely making a peep. I'm not really into the super load exhausts out there and I would love to find something that sounded like that. Thanks to anyone who might have any info for me.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
My mate tried the same thing,but I still reckon he 'Over silenced' it.......

bigexhaust.jpg

:D :D :D

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^Nice! Must be from the new Harley Screamin' Eagle collection.

Don't forget, Ninja's are supposed to be really quiet. How else would they be able to sneak up on their victims without them noticing? Duh!

But seriously, I have no real answer to your question. I like my loud-ass Two Bros pipes. Interested to hear what others come up with though.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kawi released Ninja Electric, and forgot to tell the world about it? Runs on 4 AA batteries too ;)

Jokes aside, though, I am too curious what that was.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok,I'm back to normal now ;)

Best guess would be a Supertrapp or similar.
I know you can tune the sound up or down to bugger all with their disc system

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Last night a guy on a silver Ninja went by me in a parking lot. He took off onto the highway and his bike made almost no noise. He was flying, but his bike sounded like it had a silencer on it or something. Does anyone know who makes exhaust systems like that? I have heard of quiet "sleeper" exhaust systems on cars that don't get load until you get on it, but this guy was hauling and I swear his bike was barely making a peep. I'm not really into the super load exhausts out there and I would love to find something that sounded like that. Thanks to anyone who might have any info for me.

If you want a quieter set up than OEM (but still having as much airflow, and hence power), the best option is to leave the OEM muffler in place, and replace the catalytic converter with another 'glass pack' to absorb more sound.

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
I like my bike quiet... that way when I do get on it I don't have people and popo looking for a hooligan.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I like my bike to be loud,purely for safety reasons.
Well thats what I told the last cop to pull me for them.

No,he didn't buy it either....:(

hughes8049

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure which Ninja, but I think it was one of the 636's from a few years back. I am really curious now. I don't know...I think I'm leaning towards the AA's right now.

hughes8049

Reaction score
Visit site
^^^Nice! Must be from the new Harley Screamin' Eagle collection.

Don't forget, Ninja's are supposed to be really quiet. How else would they be able to sneak up on their victims without them noticing? Duh!.

I know. I would have followed him to find out what it was, but I didn't want him to go all Ninja Assasin on me.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site

Can't help you but:
1) I too am a fan of "quiet power", and
2) You can quieten one down too much, (restriction), and damage the valves.
I love the note of the factory exhausts but they way they bellow when at full-bore. (Mine do seem to be developing a more throaty sound to them as they begin to acquire more miles)
Good luck finding what you want but I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe he was playing really loud white noise out of phase with his engine harmonics and.....oh no, wait.....only "choppers" can do that! : )

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
shame on you guys, :spank::spank: if it was a thread about the louder exhaust everybody would come with an opinion now everybody just tries to make a laugh of this guy, why?
im interested of the quiet exhaust too, even if i loose 2-3 ponies

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
POST REVIVAL!

I have been searching everywhere for an exhaust silencer with no avail.

Has anyone figured out an answer to this because (WARNING: about to sound like a little kid) my parents are HUGELY against sportbikes so the quieter the exhaust the better because I am selling them on the whole "listed as standard on kbb" and "insurance classes it as standard not sport" right now and would like to silence it as much as possible so they don't flip when I am at their house at open up the throttle a bit.

Plus I am more of a fan of the sleepers, quiet to not attract any attention but with the power everyone loves.

O ya, almost forgot, on a pretty tight budget so if anyone knows of any inserts and such for the OEM exhaust, I'd appreciate it

Qwibby

Scarlet
Reaction score
Visit site
The oem exhaust is near silent, you mainly will hear the sound of the engine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

D

Dave.TX

I'm happy with the stock exhaust. You'd have to custom fab something to make it even quieter, there isn't a market for it so nothing is massed produced.

If you're afraid of your parents "so they don't flip when I am at their house at open up the throttle a bit" then don't open up the throttle a bit when they're around. Practice self control, Grasshopper.

Sleepers are good, in my opinion. I'm of the crowd that thinks loud does nothing to save lives but aggravate people. You get less phone calls to the POPO for "there's a sport bike racing through the neighborhood, go arrest him"... Loud (open/free flowing) pipes are best reserved for track days. Besides, no one really hears your bike until you pass them. I know my trucks insulation is so good I don't hear them. Exhaust sound exits rearward, the opposite direction you want it to travel if you want it to "alert" people of your impending presence. Being visible is much more important than being audible.

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm happy with the stock exhaust. You'd have to custom fab something to make it even quieter, there isn't a market for it so nothing is massed produced.

If you're afraid of your parents "so they don't flip when I am at their house at open up the throttle a bit" then don't open up the throttle a bit when they're around. Practice self control, Grasshopper.

Sleepers are good, in my opinion. I'm of the crowd that thinks loud does nothing to save lives but aggravate people. You get less phone calls to the POPO for "there's a sport bike racing through the neighborhood, go arrest him"... Loud (open/free flowing) pipes are best reserved for track days. Besides, no one really hears your bike until you pass them. I know my trucks insulation is so good I don't hear them. Exhaust sound exits rearward, the opposite direction you want it to travel if you want it to "alert" people of your impending presence. Being visible is much more important than being audible.

Ya, and I live in a very small town, so I want to be able to open it up at home and not have the popo hear it, or the neighbors freak out and get pissed off. Just seeing if anyone had any ideas or if they did something similar)

Last edited:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only things I know of that are made with a mind for quiet exhaust are the SuperTrapp, which as I understand it isn't particularly quiet but can be tuned to a volume level, so perhaps ordering extra layers for it's baffle parts can quiet one down more? And these things:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynatech/Dynatech-Exhaust-Turndowns-with-Cone-Inserts/750920/10002/-1

Essentially a perforated metal cone with an adjustable expanding base that installs inside the exhaust pipe, pre-cat, I believe. It will remove some hp. You probably could install more than one if you want it really quiet, but I imagine it would be easy to make problematic changes in the exhaust gas behavior doing so.

The suggestion above about replacing the cat with a small glass pack is interesting, but the cat does some good stuff, and especially living in an urban area I don't want to remove mine.

I would think that the best way to remove noise while taking away as little horsepower as possible would probably be to gut a stock exhaust, then re-weld additional baffling into it. You'd probably want to get a power commander and dyno it too. I wouldn't mind a quieter exhaust, but that's too big a job. And it will make the bike slower.