Super Quiet Motorcycle Exhaust Question

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
The only things I know of that are made with a mind for quiet exhaust are the SuperTrapp, which as I understand it isn't particularly quiet but can be tuned to a volume level, so perhaps ordering extra layers for it's baffle parts can quiet one down more? And these things:

Dynatech Exhaust Turndowns with Cone Inserts - JEGS

Essentially a perforated metal cone with an adjustable expanding base that installs inside the exhaust pipe, pre-cat, I believe. It will remove some hp. You probably could install more than one if you want it really quiet, but I imagine it would be easy to make problematic changes in the exhaust gas behavior doing so.

The suggestion above about replacing the cat with a small glass pack is interesting, but the cat does some good stuff, and especially living in an urban area I don't want to remove mine.

I would think that the best way to remove noise while taking away as little horsepower as possible would probably be to gut a stock exhaust, then re-weld additional baffling into it. You'd probably want to get a power commander and dyno it too. I wouldn't mind a quieter exhaust, but that's too big a job. And it will make the bike slower.

Supertrapp does not make an exhaust for the FZ6. I may see if I can get my hands on another stock exhaust at some point from someone who switched theirs out so I can try some things with the spare exhaust without putting my bike out of commission or taking the chance of ruining my only exhaust.

And if it slows the bikes top end a bit without hurting any internal parts, I'm OK with that because that would be the best way to keep me from going tooo too fast. Especially with my level of self-control that is as long as my attention span. and my attention span is about the length of....LOOK SHINY OBJECT!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure he was referring to something custom made using supertrapp, butive cut and hacked up a stock exhaust twice and the way it's made there it would be next to impossible to make it quieter without chocking it down to much, HOWEVER you could add some baffling to the cat pipe pretty easy...

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure he was referring to something custom made using supertrapp...

Yeah, I was imagining something very custom. And I don't have a lot of knowledge about exhaust systems, so take what I say with a few more grains of salt than anyone else's advice, please. I'm pretty sure that anything I imagined would be quiet would indeed be quiet, but might well hurt the engine. I was actually thinking of using two of their lighter dirt bike exhausts welded onto a Y-pipe under the seat. Along with the cat-replacing glass pack, perhaps plus an exhaust cone just ahead of the cat, there could be a fairly quiet exhaust system. But you'd need to dyno and tune with a Power Commander to make it run clean and efficiently, and unless the noise level reduction exceeds my expectations, it would pretty much be a waste of time and money. The stock exhaust is pretty quiet for a motorcycle. That's a lot of what I hear from people who see the bike.