stripping...

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
The headlamp is going to be the most expensive part. We will also need to mount the odometer thing some place...thats the main thing to it from what I saw on someones bike.

dtfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
i am very interested in doing the naked conversion. i have been trying to get the parts for sometime now and cannot for the life of me locate anything. i am definitely in on this one. even if there is no group buy, if someone could help me find and order the parts that would be greatly greatly appreciated. i just dont know where to find the headlamp for the conversion. thank ya'll.

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone is interested in doing the streetfighter way... let me know, I can go through the swap I did on my bros Fz to make it naked.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys... here is my 2 cents:

There's a "ready to go" KIT that exists @ Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse (director Paul Couper was very nice and helpful), but the $$ was a little too high for me... and I wanted to get it done on my own! So here is what I ordered, with links and details:

Headlight $107.99 Acerbis Cyclops
=> That's what I have on now, but I am actually ordering another headlight from europe since I don`t like this one anymore... quality is just poor on the Acerbis) This is the one I just ordered KMP "K5" BLACK

Turn Signals $66.00 Rizoma "Track '01"

Turn Signal Fork Clamps $72.00 FORK CLAMP

Speedo Brackets $24.04 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/7-HANDLEBAR-CLAMP-KIT-Slipstreamer/dp/B000MY6KCQ/ref=sr_1_1/102-3617465-1163344?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1183521756&sr=1-1"]7/8"HANDLEBAR CLAMPS KIT[/ame]
=> I just used 4 rubber grommets from Homedepot on top and bottom of the clamps -for vibrations- and screwed the speedo this way...

Mirrors $148.00 RIZOMA BLACK

Mirror Adapters $24.00 Adapters

Mirror Handlebar Brackets ("Handlebar mount adapters" on the following site): 28.35 Black Handlebar Mirror Adaptor

Of course you`ll have to do some work on the wiring yourself, which is tedious, but not hard (color coding...)

Good luck to all, Naked is the way to go!!!

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
We did the Cyclopse at first too... but thought the lighting was piss poor. The Diamond Acerbis is a much brighter headlight. And if you go to Lowes or any place like that, buy a peice of 1/8 inch flat strap steel, make a bracket to mount the tur signals and speedo and buy any bar mount mirror. The amount of work you'll have to invest in fabricating is well worth the money you'll save doing it that way.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the info WaveX, that's a pretty good looking bike you've got there. I'll agree with you that the KMP healight will look a LOT better on there than the cyclops. Either way you did a great job putting it all together.

I'm still drawn towards the sock yamaha naked look. Call me crazy, but it just looks better to me....it's more aggressive and it seems to fit the bikes overall styling better. That link you provided with the "ready-to-go" kit is pretty steep price wise (about $950 USD) and is only good for the pre-2007 models, so that option is out.

I'm going to keep researching this project, I'm in no big hurry to do the mod. I don't want to lose any riding time taking the whole front end apart while the weather is nice, plus my wallet could use a break. I'll probably come back and start thinking about it more in the fall, then I'll have all winter to do the work.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
So one thing I was just curious about....
With the naked bike, the headlight is mounted straight onto the front forks, which means when you turn the front wheel the headlight turns with it. How does this affect corners at night, better or worse visibility? Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
If you look through some of the products online at parts-unlimited.com. Go to the off road book and search through the "body" section... there a nice handfull of healight set ups. Acerbis, UFO(very popluar-ghostriders yellow turbo Busa has the dual lamp UFO) and a couple others. It's a good place to find more than one style in one place.

Our set-up;
Acerbis diamond style headlight-white $84.95
short stalk turn signals $15.99
1/8 inch metal strap $1.99
Mirror $8.95
Total cost... $111.84

Labor;
Headlight: installed the headlight to the forks w/ the hardware in the kit. Pretty mucha a no brainer.
Speedo: Mounted speedo to a custom bracket mounted to the handle bar clamps. 1/8 inch metal straps cut and crined to fit between the rear portion of the bar clamps and then tighted the rear and clamped the front.
Turn Signals: these were mounted using the same straps bolted between the bracket for the horn and the horn itself.
Tucking the wires was kind of a pain but it got done. Disconnect them all and then tape them/zip tie them behind the forks and headlight.

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
Cornering is better since your light goes where you're front tire is pointed. If your front tires going that way that's the way you're going anyway, right?

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
So one thing I was just curious about....
With the naked bike, the headlight is mounted straight onto the front forks, which means when you turn the front wheel the headlight turns with it. How does this affect corners at night, better or worse visibility? Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

If a hot chick walks by at a red light, you can keep the spotlight on her legs :Flash:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the info WaveX, that's a pretty good looking bike you've got there. I'll agree with you that the KMP healight will look a LOT better on there than the cyclops. Either way you did a great job putting it all together.

I'm still drawn towards the sock yamaha naked look. Call me crazy, but it just looks better to me....it's more aggressive and it seems to fit the bikes overall styling better. That link you provided with the "ready-to-go" kit is pretty steep price wise (about $950 USD) and is only good for the pre-2007 models, so that option is out.

I'm going to keep researching this project, I'm in no big hurry to do the mod. I don't want to lose any riding time taking the whole front end apart while the weather is nice, plus my wallet could use a break. I'll probably come back and start thinking about it more in the fall, then I'll have all winter to do the work.

Thanks :) Took me some time to get it all right how I wanted (and not done yet), but it was well worth it imo... love the naked feel!
About the KIT, indeed it's for the '06 and before FZ6s, and I agree, it's too expensive (although, my setup will be about that much when I am done with it! new headlight is a big $$ hit...).
Cool, let us know and post pics if you ever do it!
Here is what the new headlight will look like (it's been shipped from Europe to me today! YAY)

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Cornering is better since your light goes where you're front tire is pointed. If your front tires going that way that's the way you're going anyway, right?

Agreed with that, even though when you take a turn, you don`t really turn the front wheel that much at all... you lean the bike more than anything else.
Bottom line is it's a non-issue.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
someone needs to wash them stickers off their swingarm :p

FOR THOSE OF YOU FROM SBN...make sure you add your name to this list so that we can have a big show of interest!

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The headlamp is going to be the most expensive part. We will also need to mount the odometer thing some place...thats the main thing to it from what I saw on someones bike.

Not sure as I have only had my bike for a week and only ridden it twice (both at night). I will contact the parts section at the local dealership and see what the prices are like.

PCHBreeze I saw your thread on the other site. Please let the members @ SBN know that we need to research the prices first and that this is for the Yamaha factory naked parts (European version). See attached pics

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a quick look on my bike this afternoon and noticed the following which I believe differ from the fairing version:

1. Headlight is held in place by 2 silver aluminum brackets (one on each side)
2. Signal lights mounted on the outside of the above brackets. I have seen replacements on ebay that actually look better than the OEM.
3. Gauge cluster has a black mount (think it may be plastic) on the bottom (which may be the same on fairing version)
4. Horn is located on the radiator on an "L" shaped bracket by the filler cap.

The only main concern would be fitting the headlight and getting the wiring to match. I say this because the naked version has one dual function light bulb (high and low beam). This is probably just a matter of switching out a wiring harness. The headlight also houses a small light bulb on top of the main bulb which is a "Convenince" or Driving light. All of this is just by looking at my bike (there will be no chance of my bike becoming the guinea-pig, soory guys)

I am waiting for the parts department to get back to me with what it will take to do a conversion. Will update ASAP.

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Guy's I don't want to get your hopes up yet. This is not 100% yet as we don't have pricing and the dealerships here are a little slow (in the mind).