Strange ticking between 2 and 3K RPM

sparky338

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently got this '05 FZ6 used from a guy up here. Has about 9K miles on it so it's not doing too bad. I noticed a strange ticking when running along between 2K and 3K RPM. Of course I can only hear it in lower gears/Speeds, especially 2nd. I checked today while riding and even with the clutch in, it would make the sound at those RPMs. Looking for some advice if possible. Don't feel any vibrations and the bike runs well.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has the same noise. My understanding is that this is valve noise, and is nothing to be worried about. :thumbup:

Also, :welcome: to the forums!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Clean and lube your chain real well. Make sure its adjusted correctly with 2" of total up and down play.

You can also look at the chain links (beforehand) as it comes off the front sprocket and watch for ANY LINKS NOT straightening out. If you see any, its a sign of wear or at the very least lack of maintainance..

Yes, its low mileage but if the chain was NOT maintained by the PO, it could be worn or at least need some attention.

While underway, if you peek down at the bottom run of the chain, it should "flow" nice and smooth, no jumping, etc when under load (slight acceleration).

Please post what you find...

sparky338

Reaction score
Visit site
Cleaned it all up and lubed it. Doesn't make the sound anymore. The chain seemed fine, rolled off well, and the up and down play was fine.

After lubing it and riding it for about 10 minutes, I got to my destination and saw a bit of smoke coming up from under the seat. Took a look, but didn't see any issues. My guess is that some of the excess lube landed on some hot pieces and smoked off since it hasn't done that since.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it was a simple fix.

As noted, the chain likes to be maintained and well lubed.

I think the manual calls for 400 miles or riding in the rain, it needs re-lubing. I lube mine easily twice as often, (no more than 200 miles) or when I'm bored and feel like fiddling with the bike.

Just as a side note, under the ft sprocket cover (held on with 3 bolts-the shifter linkage can stay on), it usually gets gunked up badly from old chain spooge under there...

Just make sure when re-assembling, you don't pinch the two wires on the rear side of the left side cover...

sparky338

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that cover was a pain to get off and even worse to get back on. I managed though and it was pretty gunked up in there. Putting it back on I had one of those wires that just didn't want to come out from behind the cover, but I encouraged it to go where it needed to go.