Strange smell !! Need Help!

peppaster

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All! I'm a new (proud) owner of a beautiful FZ6 2007, with about 800 miles on it.

I have just changed the oil and filter, everything looks in good shape.
There is a scratch on one side on the frame. I assume the bike went down and then they changed the plastic parts.

The only problem is that after few miles, when the engine gets hot I can feel a bad smell. It's something like burned plastic, but I don't know how to describe it. It's not very intense. It disappears 1 minute after I switch the engine off. I tried to find where it comes from but it's very difficult to understand.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Should I bring the bike to someone for a check?

Thank you!

Data

What town am I in?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed that on my '07 many times. I thought some rubber or plastic part had gotten on something very hot (like the exhaust) but after looking several times I can't find the source. Finally quit worrying about it and just ride- but I still think it is unusual.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First, Welcome to the forums! Congrats on the bike!!

Sounds like it isn't broken in yet and certainly not broken in hard enough! I just got my '08 and have the same smell after 330 miles and it has been there since new. So long as it isn't getting any stronger, I'm guessing that you're running the bike harder than the last owner (nothing really wrong with that so long as you keep it under 8k rpm until you hit the 1k miles) and you've been burning off some of that newness! :thumbup:

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
Greased the chain lately?

I notice strange smells for a few rides after I put my chain grease on. I definitely overdo it and I know spray/drippage gets on the oil filter and exhaust. I assume the smell is just the grease on hot parts burning up. I would be more worried but I only notice it for a few rides after I clean and grease the chain.

BTW, cars and bikes always smell after oil changes. It is just any excess/spilled oil burning away. This is completely normal, but I would not consider it a strange smell... it always happens when oil is changed and most people are accustomed to this smell.

peppaster

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all!
From what you say it shouldn't be anything serious.
I have just changed oil, filter and I also put some spray lube on the chain (it's a white oily cream...)

I hope the smell will go away in few houndreds miles.

Thanks

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:Flash:Lift the seat up and see if the plastic liner is touching the exhaust pipe. That plastic can burn when the exhaust pipe heats up. It's kinda flimsy and can be pushed/deflected too near the exhaust pipe when you stuff some items in there. I melted a whole box of condoms on mine once. Well, not melted, but they raptured when used.:Flash:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Tut tut..dont you know condoms are ment to be kept cool...and only ment to be put on one steaming engine and not reused afterwards!! No wonder they ripped....your bike had all the fun!! :p

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:Flash:Lift the seat up and see if the plastic liner is touching the exhaust pipe. That plastic can burn when the exhaust pipe heats up. It's kinda flimsy and can be pushed/deflected too near the exhaust pipe when you stuff some items in there. I melted a whole box of condoms on mine once. Well, not melted, but they raptured when used.:Flash:

Now THAT RIGHT THERE is some funny sh*t! :thumbup: :p

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

And hey! Welcome to the forums Segue00! You've finally ventured over!

Are you up for a meet this summer? Seems we have a BUNCH of members in the greater Boston area with several new ones! Several here in NH itching for a big ride!

Data

What town am I in?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I have traced the exhaust from front to back from the underside- which is fairly easy to do- and haven't found anything touching. I have ruled out chain grease and oil-change residue, etc.

It smells more like burning rubber than burning plastic, although it is a mild odor. Is that what you are asking about Pepaster?

Whitey Dodge

Reaction score
sport-touring.org
:Flash:Lift the seat up and see if the plastic liner is touching the exhaust pipe. That plastic can burn when the exhaust pipe heats up. It's kinda flimsy and can be pushed/deflected too near the exhaust pipe when you stuff some items in there. I melted a whole box of condoms on mine once.

Storing condoms in a heated location is good way to get a girl knocked up. :rtfm:

Well, not melted, but they raptured when used.:Flash:

I think you mean ruptured... :D

peppaster

Reaction score
Visit site
I have traced the exhaust from front to back from the underside- which is fairly easy to do- and haven't found anything touching. I have ruled out chain grease and oil-change residue, etc.

It smells more like burning rubber than burning plastic, although it is a mild odor. Is that what you are asking about Pepaster?

Yes, you're right. I think it's more like burning rubber.

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And hey! Welcome to the forums Segue00! You've finally ventured over!

Are you up for a meet this summer? Seems we have a BUNCH of members in the greater Boston area with several new ones! Several here in NH itching for a big ride!

Thanks for the welcome. Haven't posted here before but I got nailed inappropriate on my first post! hahaha

I'm always up for a ride.:)

sifr

Reaction score
Visit site
Check your radiator fan. Try to spin it with the bike off. If it doesn't spin freely, you may have a rock stuck in there, preventing the fan from turning.

Which would mean the burning smell was the fan motor burning up.

I had that smell on mine. Now I have a nonfunctioning radiator fan.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same smell on my new '07. It has the same smell that my wife's Honda Accord had when it was brand new (and other new vehicles I've owned for that matter). No problems with my radiator fan or anything else that I can find.

I think it's just some coating they spray into the exhaust system / engine to prevent corrison, or maybe it's dust, or something else.

I like the smell. Don't worry about it.