Storage Compartment Under Seat

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
The user's manual says the "storage" compartment is underneath the seat.

I'd like to put my user's manual in a ziplock bag and leave it in the storage compartment, but after every ride, I stick my hand in that storage compartment and it feels pretty damn hot.

I'm worried if I put my bag in there, it'll met. I'm surprised the tool pouch hasn't melted yet...

Anyone have the same concerns?

Anyone ever put something small in the storage compartment and have it fall out?

Also - I'm still trying to figure out how to use the damn helmet lock. Anyone care to explain to a noob?

Last edited:
I have had a few things in ziploc bags under the seat now for a while and no melting has occured. The previous owner also had a pair of nylon rain pants under the seat and there were no ill effects to those either.

For your helmet lock the key opens it and you slip the metal D rings on the helmets chinstrap onto it.

i have never had a problem with things overheating.. ive stuck food. bags. dvd's all kinds of things under there.. but as long as its in a bag you should be ok.. i forgot to put my hat in a bag one day and it rained and my hat got all nasty..

I have had a few things in ziploc bags under the seat now for a while and no melting has occured. The previous owner also had a pair of nylon rain pants under the seat and there were no ill effects to those either.

For your helmet lock the key opens it and you slip the metal D rings on the helmets chinstrap onto it.

My D-rings are wicked close to the inside of the helmet. I tried messing around with it, but the bike was fresh off a ride and I could feel the heat beaming off the bike. I didn't want to touch something too hot. I ended up walking around with the helmet like the headless horseman. Good to know I'm not a complete idiot.

Has anyone put something small in the storage compartment and have it fall out during a ride? I carry my wallet and cell phone in my jacket pockets right now. Would like to stuff them in the storage compartment but was worried about the heat and worried about it falling out during a ride.

Has anyone put something small in the storage compartment and have it fall out during a ride? I carry my wallet and cell phone in my jacket pockets right now. Would like to stuff them in the storage compartment but was worried about the heat and worried about it falling out during a ride.

I have Nelson Rigg CL-900 saddlebags all day everyday (unless it's a canyon ride or a sport ride), but they're "wicked" useful! I don't know how I rode without them beforehand! It eliminates a backpack and they remove and attach in 1minute! Perfect for little loads, forgot bread and milk at the store (or tequila ;)) and perfect for me and my girl to go to Mexico for a weekend (with a backpack)!

I have Nelson Rigg CL-900 saddlebags all day everyday (unless it's a canyon ride or a sport ride), but they're "wicked" useful! I don't know how I rode without them beforehand! It eliminates a backpack and they remove and attach in 1minute! Perfect for little loads, forgot bread and milk at the store (or tequila ;)) and perfect for me and my girl to go to Mexico for a weekend (with a backpack)!

I wouldn't mind the saddle bags except the price is ridiculous for a pair of pouches. I guess when you need storage, you'll have to "saddle up" and pay the price.

I have kept rain pants, plastic bags, a towel, and other things under the seat, and even though it does get warm i have had no melting at all.

My D-rings are wicked close to the inside of the helmet. I tried messing around with it, but the bike was fresh off a ride and I could feel the heat beaming off the bike. I didn't want to touch something too hot. I ended up walking around with the helmet like the headless horseman. Good to know I'm not a complete idiot.

My helmet is similar, and I find it tricky to get the D-rings on to the bike's helmet hook. I usually have to reach through the visor opening (full face helmet) grab the D-rings and fiddle them on to the open hook. I think (not sure, I'm not at the bike right now to try it) that I let the bottom of the helmet enclose the passenger peg. To get it off, I have to put the key in through the helmet opening. Since the helmet hook is below the exhaust, I don't think there is any danger of your hand or the helmet coming in contact with anything too hot, but by all means be careful.

My helmet is similar, and I find it tricky to get the D-rings on to the bike's helmet hook. I usually have to reach through the visor opening (full face helmet) grab the D-rings and fiddle them on to the open hook. I think (not sure, I'm not at the bike right now to try it) that I let the bottom of the helmet enclose the passenger peg. To get it off, I have to put the key in through the helmet opening. Since the helmet hook is below the exhaust, I don't think there is any danger of your hand or the helmet coming in contact with anything too hot, but by all means be careful.

Good to know I'm not the only one that sees the helmet lock as a bit tricky :thumbup:

I put my user manual, registration and proof of insurance in a 1 qt. Plastic bag under the seat and its been there for 2 years and all is well. How do I know? I just got a new registration.:rockon:

I did have a bottle of visor polish explode (in a plastic bag) a few weeks back, not sure if it was the heat or whether I bashed the container when refitting the seat though...

Otherwise everything in there has been fine.

I have all my documents in a zip bag in the underseat compartment and nothing has melted so far.

Call me a noob, but I can't figure out how to mount the tool kit under the seat. Anyone have a pic of the storage area? I have two rubber straps that I'm sure play into this somehow... But how? Thanks! -John

Back