Stopped by the stealership yesterday...

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
My friend has a Concours. While it rated better than the FJR and has been the top of the ST pack since 2009, it's feels too damn big and heavy. He's dropped it too many times to count because he can't flat foot the thing. The FJR feels lighter and is lower than the Conc (AFAIK).
Everything about a Sport Tour bike totally appeals to me. I mean, Look at some of the listed features of the 2012:
-Heated grips are standard equipment on the FJR1300A - adding more convenience for riders.
-Pushbutton adjustable windscreen and a thick comfy seat for two are perfect for comfortable, long-distance riding.
-Adjustable ergonomics: the seat can be adjusted up or down by nearly an inch, and handlebar pullback angle is three-position adjustable over a half-inch range.
-Glove box contains a 12V outlet for phones, GPS units, electric vests, etc.
I don't know why, but a glove box on a bike makes me all giddy.
I love how narrow it is for city riding, which I do a lot of.
The comfy seat is a huge plus to me because my GF doesn't like going on distance rides; she doesn't like the FZ6 stock seat. I think she's crazy because I came from a SV650, and you may as well sit on a plank of wood with that bike.

Damn you all for making me want to go buy a new bike. I have bills to pay!

E: The only thing about the FJR is not to get one that has the autoshift or whatever. WTF were you thinking Yamaha? Good thing they changed back.
EE: Another thing is shaft drive. Ever since the chain on my first bike jumped and punched a hole in the crank case (my fault, was way, way too loose :spank:) I've been crazy paranoid about any noises coming from the chain area.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck Joe. You know they won't give you what you can if you sell it outright but they may give you a deal you can't pass up. The guy asked me yesterday about the FZ8. I didn't see one on their showroom floor. When I responded that no one is buying them he admitted they don't sell. I s'pose he thought he'd try.

Personally the FJR is still up there on my list too. After seeing that Ninja 1000 though, sat on it, I thought it would be a good upgrade for the FZ6. I love fairings on these bikes. I think the Ducati's are the sexiest nakeds on the planet but I'm not getting a Ducati. The FJR is about 200 lbs heavier than the FZ6, the Ninja 1000 is about 50 lbs heavier. I'm torn. If I can meet up with someone that has an FJR and will let me tool around on it for an hour or so I'd know whether or not it's the bike for me. I still like good looking bikes and the N1 is just that. Same general ergo's as the FZ6 but with full fairings and a full liter of motor. I'd considered buying lower fairings for the FZ6 as I think they look good with them. So do the FZ1's. The dual exhaust on the N1 is hot too (same as on the Z1000).

Of course the girlfriend likes the Suzuki more (of the original 3 I mentioned) as she rides pillion once in a while. An FJR would be good for that too. The Triumph ST/GT is too compact for me, it's better for shorter riders. The Ducati ST3 or ST4 is nice too. I'll stick with Japanese for this.

I agree, Dave. I'm prob under on my bike, but it'd worth a shot. Once I sat on the N1, I could tell I'd love it. It's really an upright seating, more then I had expected. If not, I'll pay the 6 off next year and check out the Honda shop near my new house.

That, and I'd have to change my avatar and CC again:BLAA:

D

Dave.TX

I agree, Dave. I'm prob under on my bike, but it'd worth a shot. Once I sat on the N1, I could tell I'd love it. It's really an upright seating, more then I had expected. If not, I'll pay the 6 off next year and check out the Honda shop near my new house.

That, and I'd have to change my avatar and CC again:BLAA:

Well having to change your avatar makes it not worth switching bikes. :BLAA:

I was surprised about the N1 too. About the same legroom as the FZ6 and upright seating. I like the adjustable windshield.

After emailing the GF with some options to go to (she likes the bigger ST bikes since we ride 2 up) she basically rolled her eyes and said, "Boys and their toys, any bike you get is fine with me." Better danged be! LOL (she doesn't know about this forum so I'm good)

That dealer I went to is proud of their bikes. If I were to actually shop for one I'd hit a different one, Woods Cycle Country in San Marcos, TX. I ride with a meetup.com group called Austin Sportbike Riders (ASR) and they're sponsored by Woods, very friendly and a nice (if you can call a dealership that) store. They sell Yamaha's and Kawasaki's too. Next ride I take down there we'll have a discussion about the N1. It's now my newest favorite after seeing reviews and videos on youtube.

Here's a good thread on sport-touring.net.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didnt think about calling the dealership where I got my bike... its a multi brand shop...maybe an fz1?

Then again, they didnt really hook me up when I got the 6 so....prob just keep her til she's paid off.

Last edited:
D

Dave.TX

I didnt think about calling the dealership where I got my bike... its a multi brand shop...maybe an fz1?

Then again, they didnt really hook me up when I got the 6 so....prob just keep her til she's paid off.

Yeah. Being I got mine in Sept. 2011 on a 3 year loan I have until Sept. 2014. Seems like a long time.

I got mine at the BMW/Triumph dealership. Someone had traded it in. They had a Hayabusa there not too long ago. Kinda figured by the time the FZ6 is paid off then there will be some good deals on gently used "whatever-I-feel-like-getting-this-week" bikes out there.

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
That Ninja 1000 sure looks pretty to me. My son rides a Z750S, which is a cousin of Z1000, and I like it pretty well. I also like the new plastic on the N1.

D

Dave.TX

That Ninja 1000 sure looks pretty to me. My son rides a Z750S, which is a cousin of Z1000, and I like it pretty well. I also like the new plastic on the N1.

Those Z750's had good reviews, I thought about getting one before settling on the FZ6. And yes, I like the plastic on the N1 also.

Joe, I wish I had gotten my bike a year earlier! I already had my endorsement, just took me a year and a half to get a bike. I love riding! MSF in Oct 2009, licensed in May 2010, got my bike in Sept 2011. I do things s l o w l y . . . except ride!

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
If it were me and I didn't have to worry about insurance, my choice would be N1, K1, GSX1250FA, then the FJR. I am too young for the FJR. The N1 would suit me just fine. Now, how to pay for the insurance?:eek:

D

Dave.TX

If it were me and I didn't have to worry about insurance, my choice would be N1, K1, GSX1250FA, then the FJR. I am too young for the FJR. The N1 would suit me just fine. Now, how to pay for the insurance?:eek:

For reals, dog! I'd love to ride the N1. The engine gets consistent reviews of being both powerful and smooth. Yes, insurance will be more with a liter or more.

For giggles I'm going to stop by the BMW dealer in the morning and sit on, possibly test ride, a 2006 K1200GT they've had there for a couple of months. Figured since it hasn't moved they'd be willing to deal (same place that sold me the FZ6). We'll see. I hear they're wicked fast and do well in the twisty's. It has electronic cruise control, heated seats and grips, electronically adjustable suspension and windscreen. All for about the same price as a used FJR with only the adjustable windscreen and it looks hotter. I'm almost old enough for a mid-life crisis at 42. Guess I can start early. May not be able to afford it though.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went into one of our dealerships around here on wednesday.

It wasn't too terribly bad. I went straight for the gear, looking for new gloves. No avail :(

Coming back I looked at some ninjas and a couple V-Stroms. Nothing *really* caught my eye. Especially when I started turning the corner for the door and saw my FZ. I love the way she looks!

But then I saw something that made me forget her...

IMG_20120404_175825.jpg

Not the "compensation for small man parts" bike in the back, no. This was a Ducati Diavel... she was so gorgeous!

And she sounded MEAN.

After talking to the guy, he mentioned it was about $19k out the door. So maybe in another life.

+1 for the diavel.

In all black trim it is the bike Arnold would ride in a Terminator 2 ReDux.

So badass.

God I want one.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for the diavel.

In all black trim it is the bike Arnold would ride in a Terminator 2 ReDux.

So badass.

God I want one.

My dads buddy just bought one in black, completely badass looking bike, has as many settings as a M powered BMW, traction settings power settings etc. not sure if I like that or not, I enjoy the simplicity of starting my bike and then hitting the road. Still, great looking bike!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok what is N1? i ve tried to search for models but came up with a bunch of old honda pics and ROCKETS!!

if your gf rides pillion i dont think the kawasaki is a very good option, i mean look at that seat its perched high and not very large or cushy. the suzuki's is much much better.

there s a new triumph trophy coming out later this year you can check it out

2013 Triumph Trophy spied in finished form - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN

D

Dave.TX

Ok what is N1? i ve tried to search for models but came up with a bunch of old honda pics and ROCKETS!!

Earlier in this thread I started referring to the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 as an N1.

The Triumph Trophy is a touring bike, no mention of sport, and it looks like one too. I'm not interested in an 800 pound touring bike, not old enough yet. My interest has been the sport-touring bikes, emphasis on sport.

The kid in me still wants a Ninja 1000 or similar but the adult in me says it won't do that well with 500+ mile days like a sport-touring bike will. I know, Kawasaki says the Ninja 1000 is a sport touring bike but it's probably 90% sport with 10% touring. My FZ6 is about that ratio when I add the Givi hard bags and the Madstad windshield. I've done two 400+ mile day trips and I was ready to get off the bike at around 300 miles. At 75mph it's turning 6,000rpm's and buzzing like a banshee. Couple of hours of that and I'm ready to dump it.

When I can get a liter bike that gets almost the same MPG's and cruises better at highway speeds I'd rather go for the comfort of a sport-touring bike. Probably 90% of my riding is slab or highway, 5% is with sport bikes on any given weekend. I still like the sport, though, for the functionality and the looks. The touring bikes don't have sport, they have weight and "I'm an AARP member" written all over them.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
The ninja 1k I believe is supposed to be like the fz1 of kawi's lineup, the z1000 is their liter bike ss, and after sitting on the ninja its ergos are fairly relaxed for having a ninja sticker slapped on the fairing... My next bike is likely to be that triumph xc or the ninja :D

Ps: a sprocket change can fix your highway buzz :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
It was an unexpected stop but since I was close I dropped in at Central Texas Powersports in Georgetown yesterday. Walked through the doors and headed to the back where the accessories are.

After perusing their small selection of gloves and jackets I headed to the helmets. There was a very fine looking Ben Spies helmet by HJC there, all for the low price of $550. It was matte black with the star on top and Monster Energy crap on it. Very nice looking lid. I kept walking though.

Made my way to the front of the store where I stopped to look at a brand new FZ1. Didn't take long looking as there was a Kawasaki Z1000 parked next to it that looked stunning. Behind that was a Ninja 1000 that really caught my eye. Fairings, 1000cc's, black, beautiful. Next to that was a Suzuki GSX1250FA (Bandit) that was also black and looking very similar to a sport touring FJR.

It's a good thing my FZ6 is still not paid off, I know that when it is it's history and I'll get something bigger.

Also yesterday at our weekly lunch gathering a husband and wife duo arrived, both riding their 2012 Triumph Tiger 800's, his an XC version, and both bikes were black. Big time DROOL! When they started them up (they sounded so sweet) and rode away I just stood there staring.

After seeing Pete's (Hellgate) new purchase of a beautiful Aprilia Tuono on this forum I'm thinking I need a new bike. Sorry FZ6. You're a good bike, great bike, but I've already outgrown you in 6 months.

Dang, I need to win the lottery. Or put her up for sale. I can't afford a new bike now though. Live within my means, live within my means, live within my means...

How did you outgrow an fz in 6 months ? You're a mondo racer that is getting trophies @ the track ?

If you're still making payments, there is no way you've exceeded its potential.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
That Ninja 1000 really is a fantastic looking bike. I sat on one when I was at the dealer getting tires a few weeks ago. Really pretty comfortable too. Wouldn't blame you for purchasing one! I am more than happy with my FZ but I can understand wanting another bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I can get a liter bike that gets almost the same MPG's and cruises better at highway speeds I'd rather go for the comfort of a sport-touring bike. Probably 90% of my riding is slab or highway, 5% is with sport bikes on any given weekend. I still like the sport, though, for the functionality and the looks. The touring bikes don't have sport, they have weight and "I'm an AARP member" written all over them.

Makes total sense. I did 380 miles 2-up few days ago on my FZ1 and it's definitely not a relaxing touring bike. Sure it's fun as hell, but if you want total comfort for many hours of riding, you gotta have more peg to seat distance, a relaxed riding position and electronic cruise control would be a very welcome bonus :thumbup:

D

Dave.TX

How did you outgrow an fz in 6 months ? You're a mondo racer that is getting trophies @ the track ?

If you're still making payments, there is no way you've exceeded its potential.

No, haven't exceeded the 6's potential and not a mondo racer... I didn't upgrade to an R1 just figured out I have a different riding style that would be better suited on a different bike.

Erci, as it turns out on Saturday, April 14, I sold my FZ6 then went to the dealership to sign papers and pick up a 2008 BMW K1200GT. Paid off the FZ6 on Monday. The GT is more roomy (I'm 6'4" and always felt cramped on the Yamaha) and has the coveted electronic cruise control. Let me tell you how sweet it is...

I could go on and on. Nutshell, if it wasn't for this thread and Loren in Houston asking if I wanted to sell I'd still be on the Yamaha. Before I bought the FZ6 I had wanted an FJR. The 6 was a "beginner" bike, getting my foot in the door knowing it was only a matter of time before I stepped up to a bigger bike just didn't think it would be this early. I'm also 42 and no Max Biaggi who can ride the snot out of that Aprilia on the race track. I put lots of miles on my vehicles so a sport tourer is more my style. Not that the FZ6 can do it, as a lot of folks have done. I still really like the bike and miss it but am also glad I have the GT now. I can still take the twisty's on the weekend and have rubbed off one of the peg feelers already, was complimented on last Monday's ride how well I rode the BMW on Lime Creek Road (here in Austin) but that's not a majority of the riding I do.

So here it is, without the side cases that are sitting in the garage most of the time. Yeah, it's costing me about twice what the Yamaha did in monthly payments and insurance but I knew that. The 1200 is so smooth and this bike is strong. It's no supersport but it can hold its own.

2012-04-15_12-38-31_43.jpg