Stopped by the stealership yesterday...

D

Dave.TX

It was an unexpected stop but since I was close I dropped in at Central Texas Powersports in Georgetown yesterday. Walked through the doors and headed to the back where the accessories are.

After perusing their small selection of gloves and jackets I headed to the helmets. There was a very fine looking Ben Spies helmet by HJC there, all for the low price of $550. It was matte black with the star on top and Monster Energy crap on it. Very nice looking lid. I kept walking though.

Made my way to the front of the store where I stopped to look at a brand new FZ1. Didn't take long looking as there was a Kawasaki Z1000 parked next to it that looked stunning. Behind that was a Ninja 1000 that really caught my eye. Fairings, 1000cc's, black, beautiful. Next to that was a Suzuki GSX1250FA (Bandit) that was also black and looking very similar to a sport touring FJR.

It's a good thing my FZ6 is still not paid off, I know that when it is it's history and I'll get something bigger.

Also yesterday at our weekly lunch gathering a husband and wife duo arrived, both riding their 2012 Triumph Tiger 800's, his an XC version, and both bikes were black. Big time DROOL! When they started them up (they sounded so sweet) and rode away I just stood there staring.

After seeing Pete's (Hellgate) new purchase of a beautiful Aprilia Tuono on this forum I'm thinking I need a new bike. Sorry FZ6. You're a good bike, great bike, but I've already outgrown you in 6 months.

Dang, I need to win the lottery. Or put her up for sale. I can't afford a new bike now though. Live within my means, live within my means, live within my means...

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
You can always afford a new bike :) Just wont be a 2012 LOL. I sold my fz for 3300 and bought my sv1k with 4k miles for 4k the same day. But i dont beleive in loans for bikes so i will always be limited in what i can get but its ok. I dont mind older models until i win the lottery :rockon:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, minus the payment thing seeing how I have my title. But I would love to get a bigger bike and keep the fz6, but there's no way I could afford a bigger bike without trading or selling the 6. I have absolutely fallen in love with the new Triumph tigers, so when I am ready to get a bigger bike it's going to be a hard decision to either stay with the FZ's or get a tiger

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im looking at the bandit myself. There is a company that does upgrades for it, suspension and stuff. I forgot who it is....:spank:

Last edited:

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I was in our local stealership the other day as well and the 2012 Z1000 definitely caught my eye - that thing just looks mean. I love the front end of it!

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I went into one of our dealerships around here on wednesday.

It wasn't too terribly bad. I went straight for the gear, looking for new gloves. No avail :(

Coming back I looked at some ninjas and a couple V-Stroms. Nothing *really* caught my eye. Especially when I started turning the corner for the door and saw my FZ. I love the way she looks!

But then I saw something that made me forget her...

IMG_20120404_175825.jpg

Not the "compensation for small man parts" bike in the back, no. This was a Ducati Diavel... she was so gorgeous!

And she sounded MEAN.

After talking to the guy, he mentioned it was about $19k out the door. So maybe in another life.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was an unexpected stop but since I was close I dropped in at Central Texas Powersports in Georgetown yesterday. Walked through the doors and headed to the back where the accessories are.

After perusing their small selection of gloves and jackets I headed to the helmets. There was a very fine looking Ben Spies helmet by HJC there, all for the low price of $550. It was matte black with the star on top and Monster Energy crap on it. Very nice looking lid. I kept walking though.

Made my way to the front of the store where I stopped to look at a brand new FZ1. Didn't take long looking as there was a Kawasaki Z1000 parked next to it that looked stunning. Behind that was a Ninja 1000 that really caught my eye. Fairings, 1000cc's, black, beautiful. Next to that was a Suzuki GSX1250FA (Bandit) that was also black and looking very similar to a sport touring FJR.

It's a good thing my FZ6 is still not paid off, I know that when it is it's history and I'll get something bigger.

Also yesterday at our weekly lunch gathering a husband and wife duo arrived, both riding their 2012 Triumph Tiger 800's, his an XC version, and both bikes were black. Big time DROOL! When they started them up (they sounded so sweet) and rode away I just stood there staring.

After seeing Pete's (Hellgate) new purchase of a beautiful Aprilia Tuono on this forum I'm thinking I need a new bike. Sorry FZ6. You're a good bike, great bike, but I've already outgrown you in 6 months.

Dang, I need to win the lottery. Or put her up for sale. I can't afford a new bike now though. Live within my means, live within my means, live within my means...

AF1 has one Tuono left. It's at the Austin store. Bring your gear and they'll let you go for a ride.

D

Dave.TX

AF1 has one Tuono left. It's at the Austin store. Bring your gear and they'll let you go for a ride.

But that's what I don't wanna do! Lonestar BMW/Triumph will also let you ride and if I get on that danged Tiger XC I'll sell everything I have to buy it. Not disregarding the Aprilia's because they also have a place in my heart, I'd probably do the same if I rode the Tuono.

No, I'll stick with the FZ6 for now. Going to order dB killers for the Leo Vince exhaust that's sitting in the garage and see how I like it over stock. Didn't like it without the inserts, too loud. But I know the LV exhaust will keep the back seat cooler and Melody has mentioned her bum gets warm while riding with me. In the summertime that's a lot of heat. Underseat exhaust has it's disadvantages too.

I'm torn. If I look to see how much I owe on the FZ6 then I might think about selling it and paying it off. If I do that then I'd think about getting a liter bike and as much as I previously wanted to get an FZ1 I'm leaning more toward sport touring types with fairings and better protection, hence the Ninja 1000 or the newest Bandit (they don't call it a Bandit anymore, just a GSX1250FA) which is fully faired.

My back needs the more upright riding and my 6'4" frame and long legs needs more seat height and leg room. Texas bugs are killer without protection and I want to start taking long rides, even an SS1K. I can do the Tour of Honor this year on the FZ6 but it'd be easier on a larger bike. Trying to get all 7 sites in Texas in 24 hours would be brutal so I'll just hit 4 or 5 in 24 hours. I'm already registered, have my t-shirt and towel with #94 on it. Just need a time. Probably in May.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dave.TX

You can always afford a new bike :) Just wont be a 2012 LOL. I sold my fz for 3300 and bought my sv1k with 4k miles for 4k the same day. But i dont beleive in loans for bikes so i will always be limited in what i can get but its ok. I dont mind older models until i win the lottery :rockon:

I didn't realize you sold your FZ6 and cloned Cliff. Nice job. I'm sure you love that bike! Too bad when I'm out in San Diego in two weeks I won't have my bike with me, would love to ride with you guys. I'll have to plan a vacation like that either later this year or next year and drive out in the truck with the bike in tow. I plan to meet up with Cliff sometime, we can go by Cyclegear or something, have lunch or dinner. Maybe you can join us too. We'll work something out. I'll be staying with my parents in Lakeside, driving their Chevy Trailblazer.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I didn't realize you sold your FZ6 and cloned Cliff. Nice job. I'm sure you love that bike! Too bad when I'm out in San Diego in two weeks I won't have my bike with me, would love to ride with you guys. I'll have to plan a vacation like that either later this year or next year and drive out in the truck with the bike in tow. I plan to meet up with Cliff sometime, we can go by Cyclegear or something, have lunch or dinner. Maybe you can join us too. We'll work something out. I'll be staying with my parents in Lakeside, driving their Chevy Trailblazer.

Hay, let me know when your in town and I'll bring the Tiger over for you to take a closer look at and it gives me a good reason to go for a ride and also see how Cliff is doing:thumbup::D

Jerry

D

Dave.TX

Hay, let me know when your in town and I'll bring the Tiger over for you to take a closer look at and it gives me a good reason to go for a ride and also see how Cliff is doing:thumbup::D

Jerry

How do you spell San Berdoo? I grew up in San Diego County and moved to TX when I was 31 (11 years ago). Heck ya I'd love to ride! You're close enough to mountains, Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear and Idyllwild. That would be a blast as long as you don't get stuck behind too many slow cars.

This year I'm flying to San Diego (this month) and Washington D.C. in May. Not sure if I can save up by fall to see if I can come out and ride with y'all but will definitely plan it next year. Might have a different bike by then. Every time I sit on the Tiger at the dealership I don't want to get off.

Half the guys I know and meet up with for lunch have BMW GS's. That adventure type riding sure looks fun and there's a ton to be had here in Texas hence why I'm eyeing the Tiger XC.

D

Dave.TX

2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
2011-Ninja-1000-Static.jpg

2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
2010-GSX1250FA.jpg

2011 Triumph Tiger XC
122_1011_001_o%252B2011_triumph_tiger_800_XC%252B.jpg

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
2011-Ninja-1000-Static.jpg

2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
2010-GSX1250FA.jpg

2011 Triumph Tiger XC
122_1011_001_o%252B2011_triumph_tiger_800_XC%252B.jpg

I just got back from taking the kids for hair cuts. Well, the kawi dealer was close by so we took a look. I sat on that same color Ninja 1000 in that picture......
No, I didnt come home with it, but gonna go back sat or monday to see what they'd give me for a trade in.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
The new bandit looks too plain to me. Of the 3, I'm torn between the Ninja and the Tiger. FJR is still on top of my list, though.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The new bandit looks too plain to me. Of the 3, I'm torn between the Ninja and the Tiger. FJR is still on top of my list, though.

Agree with you.. Bandit, even though it just had an refresh, still looks outdated... sad cause it's such a great machine otherwise.

I have to be honest, if I had a chance to get Ninja 1000 for same price as FZ1, I would have had a very tough decision.

FJR.. great bike, but much heavier and #1 reason I don't want one (this is going to sound silly): integrated brakes.

D

Dave.TX

I've considered the FJR too, it's almost the same weight as the Bandit (sorry, GSX1250FA) but has almost 50 more HP and more torque with just a slightly larger motor. Lots of used FJR's around. I'd consider a 2006 and newer as they have improved fairings that don't heat your legs up as much as the older ones. They are a bit more sporty looking too and Yamaha has a better reputation for build quality than Suzuki, in general.

I was just pining (overpowering longing?) about how danged sexy that Ninja 1000 looked and it was right next to the Z1000 and FZ1. Before getting the FZ6 I had considered the FZ1 instead but thought if it's my first street bike I should get something that won't be overpowering. Now that I've ridden over 8,000 miles since getting the FZ6 only 7 months ago and have figured out mostly what I want (OK, I want 3 bikes: a touring bike, a sport bike and a dual sport). If I get the Tiger XC then I can do adventure riding with some folks I know. If I get a sport-touring bike (emphasis on the sport) then I can get a dual sport later and still ride dirt roads and such. KLR's and DR's aren't that expensive.

My emphasis is still ride paved roads, not for commuting but to get around and not have to drive my gas guzzling Chevy truck around (which averages 17mpg all around, higher on the highway). 600cc bikes are great for around town, staying somewhat close to home. You can make them work for longer distances but I'd rather have a liter bike for those. I ride a lot and put a lot of miles on. I have aspirations of SS1K's, bike vacations to CO, NM, AZ, CA, NV, SD, ND, MT and many other places. I love mountains. Texas has very few of them. Throw some hard bags on and go. An FJR, C14, GSX1250FA and similar bikes can do those trips really well. BMW K1600GTL, Goldwings, etc, can do those trips easily. I don't want a couch on wheels that weighs 800-1000 pounds. I'm not that old yet.

D

Dave.TX

Good luck Joe. You know they won't give you what you can if you sell it outright but they may give you a deal you can't pass up. The guy asked me yesterday about the FZ8. I didn't see one on their showroom floor. When I responded that no one is buying them he admitted they don't sell. I s'pose he thought he'd try.

Personally the FJR is still up there on my list too. After seeing that Ninja 1000 though, sat on it, I thought it would be a good upgrade for the FZ6. I love fairings on these bikes. I think the Ducati's are the sexiest nakeds on the planet but I'm not getting a Ducati. The FJR is about 200 lbs heavier than the FZ6, the Ninja 1000 is about 50 lbs heavier. I'm torn. If I can meet up with someone that has an FJR and will let me tool around on it for an hour or so I'd know whether or not it's the bike for me. I still like good looking bikes and the N1 is just that. Same general ergo's as the FZ6 but with full fairings and a full liter of motor. I'd considered buying lower fairings for the FZ6 as I think they look good with them. So do the FZ1's. The dual exhaust on the N1 is hot too (same as on the Z1000).

Of course the girlfriend likes the Suzuki more (of the original 3 I mentioned) as she rides pillion once in a while. An FJR would be good for that too. The Triumph ST/GT is too compact for me, it's better for shorter riders. The Ducati ST3 or ST4 is nice too. I'll stick with Japanese for this.