Still on your stock tires?

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock Dunlop Sportmax D252's on mine are almost shot with 7500km (4700mi). I have a pair of Bridgestone BT020's waiting to go on. Good to hear that most have found them to be quality tires.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's still too much tread left for me to justify a new set of tires.

I thought the same thing....until I put new tires on and wondered why I hadn't done it straight away...lol.

Thanks! I'm still riding on the stock BT-020's but, as Ozzieboy pointed out they will need to be replaced soon as the back is beyond chicken-stripped.

You will go nuts when you discover you can lean the bike again:cheer:. They do look a bit like tractor tires now though:eek:...lol.

Having my tire step out ever so slightly got me to thinking about how I was taking the turn in question. And it got me to thinking about remaining completely upright throughout the turn as I usually do. The relaxed riding position of our bikes doesn't really lend itself to the shifting of body weight easily into the turns. That's a reason why a lot of us have gone to lower bars and rearsets I suspect. All in all, it got me to thinking. A) take the corner at a more prudent speed and B) don't take that turn or any others any more aggressively until my skill improves.

It got me to considering the advanced MSF course and Total Control courses. It also got me to toying w/shifting my upper body down and into the turn, which feels like it reduces my lean. I need to find a nice empty parking lot to really toy with it as on the street I'm asking for paying out that deductible as you mentioned.

Thanks for your input :)

I had the OEM Battleaxes step out regularly. They are awful. The Dunlop Road smarts didn't step out until pretty well worn out and the Pilots have given me no grief at all aside from the rear rolling sideways a touch once the sides are feathered, which is pretty much at the end of tire life anyhow.

I'm not worried about getting rid of the chicken strips - I just ride comfortably and if I manage to lean a bit further then so be it. I'm up to 7100 miles on stock Bridgestones. Hoping to get to 8000-9000 miles. Mainly commuting miles so they are wearing in the center.

Planning on going for the Pilot Road 2 set as I've read nothing but good reviews on them and I think they'll suit my riding.

Sounds like the Road 2's are the right choice. Fantastic commuting tire, and good reliable fun in the twisties.

Cheers
Mike

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
stock and my god, they are CRAP, they are even slippery on dry roads on tar patches on the street. put them on wet and then any acceleration over 2km/sec makes them spin..
awful.

bridgestone battlax bt020 btw...

Last edited:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished a long trip on my Bridgestone 020s. The rear was starting to wear a bit at the start, but the front was fine. 1500 miles later and they are both totally shot.

The rear is now very badly squared off - waaaaay past the wear bars, although the sides are fine (not too many twisty roads around here). Worse - the front stocker is BADLY cupped. It's the worst cupping I've ever seen. The wear on the rear started getting bad at about 6000 miles, but the front has only gotten bad recently. These tires are known for this issue.

Despite the good reviews on the stock Bridgestones, I'd really hoped for more miles from them. I'm careful about tire pressure and I ride conservatively, although I do engine brake a lot which wears the rear fast. I'm at 7800 miles now. I guess that's pretty good for a stock tire, although I got 15000 out of the stock tires on my last bike.

I think I'll go with PR2s if I can swallow the high price. I can't wait to lean the bike over without it feeling squirrely.

clrd_2_lnd

Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin Pilot Road 2 on mine, coming up on 10000 might get 2000 or so on the back and more than that on the front, good tire! 5400 on the stock set.