Stiff ignition key

headache56

Reaction score
Visit site
I have tried WD-40, 3-in-1 oil and graphite in the past but they seem to provide short term palliatives instead of fixing the problem. Can I / should I / how can I take the lock mechanism apart and really give it a good dose of lube inside the workings ?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you actually want a dry graphite lube in there only. Any wet/oil based lube will attract dust, dirt and grime and clog the works further. I'd hit it with a long dose of degreaser and let it dry out then use a graphite based lubricant going forward.

Here's what I use from the local Ace hardware store: AGS MR ZIP GRAPHITE POWDERED LUBRICANT MZ-5 AMERICAN GREASE STICK CO

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep....have had this problem....have to agree Graphite POWDER is the way to go....

:thumbup:

headache56

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys - I will give it a go; I have ordered some dry graphite powder.

Here in the UK I can buy a degreasant called "Gunk" - have you heard of it ?

If I squirt the degreasant down the ignition key hole, I guess that will leave me with a load of wet detrius down the hole ? Maybe I can squeeze a pipe cleaner (thin wire with a kind of cotton wool outer sleeve) down the keyhole to absorb any detrius ? Then I'll leave it for a couple of days, then use the powder.

Is seems like dismantling the lock is not easy / advisable ?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys - I will give it a go; I have ordered some dry graphite powder.

Here in the UK I can buy a degreasant called "Gunk" - have you heard of it ?

If I squirt the degreasant down the ignition key hole, I guess that will leave me with a load of wet detrius down the hole ? Maybe I can squeeze a pipe cleaner (thin wire with a kind of cotton wool outer sleeve) down the keyhole to absorb any detrius ? Then I'll leave it for a couple of days, then use the powder.

Is seems like dismantling the lock is not easy / advisable ?

It can be done but not easily. It is secured with tamper-proof bolts so it would involve some cutting/grinding. Check the bottom to see if there is any way to drain it, like pop off a rubber boot/plug? I've never looked to be honest. If there is, and the degreaser comes out the other end, give it a whole lot of spray and catch it on the backside with a rag just in case. :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It can be done but not easily. It is secured with tamper-proof bolts so it would involve some cutting/grinding. Check the bottom to see if there is any way to drain it, like pop off a rubber boot/plug? I've never looked to be honest. If there is, and the degreaser comes out the other end, give it a whole lot of spray and catch it on the backside with a rag just in case. :D

Yep....removing the ignition is not fun...have done it to get the top triple clamp powdercated....and there is no way to drain it through the bottom...no plug to speak of.