sticking throttle only when running?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any progress on this?

I'm wondering if the throttle plate shaft of throttle plate may have shifted laterally and is catching? The TPS could also have a mechanical problem causing interference.

Like you mentioned earlier, I'm guessing either something fell in (or ate its way in) or someone has done something to the actual butterflies which prevents them from seating in the TB.

i.e. the throttle plates (brass plates), do NOT align as easily as most think. That is; if removed, few take the time needed to properly align them and they stick and do NOT close all of the way. Which could be the problem here.

Removing the air box lid and looking in the stacks would verify the "intruder" symptom and maybe even the tampering symptom.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: these threads share a few of the same things... Posting a pic here for the pure sport of it....

FWIW: here are the key idle air components.

The right side of the body shows the the coolant temp circulation over a Bi-Metallic Spring which tracks the coolant temperature. This adjusts the depth of the long brass needle through the mini venturis which changes the air volume through all the ports to each cylinder.

54536d1407268140-my-engine-stalls-first-5min-iacv9-1-jpg

Underside of TB:
If the throttle plates do not always close in the same spot, its an air leak around the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) and this makes for variable RPM. As would a vacuum leak to ANY hoses BELOW the Throttle Plates!
54537d1407268703-my-engine-stalls-first-5min-img_1107-tb-bottom-jpg

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just saved the first one for later use.

Where do you get these? Winter time bike tear down or??? :thumbup:

You think my venturies would be that dirty?? DAMN - who do you take me for!!! :spank::spank:

More better... Obvious where things go from this shot! As these bikes age I suspect these plastic fittings will give some of us the finger and crack if the hoses are under pressure from poor routing.
attachment.php

Also, I think you mentioned this before.... From Rode through a Flood Thread...

PASTE:
Green is coolant - all other colors are suspect including the clamps at the throttle body base (not shown in this picture but is above in photo). The blue indicates components that could possible crack. Worthy of inspection IMO.
52095d1392834243-rode-through-flood-have-i-killed-my-engine-intake3-jpg

Parts by name and PN: Yamaha FZ6 07 Full parts catalog | Joisey Boyz Gastronomical Society

Jaymann

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I never gave an update. I've been traveling a bunch for work and riding as much as possible.
The problem went away on it's own. I was getting used to either snapping the throttle or rolling it closed, and one day I realized it was now closing properly all by itself.

Whatever it was, riding it lots worked out whatever was wrong. I'm still leaning towards some crud somewhere (in a butterfly maybe?)
I don't know if manually closing the throttle a few hundred times helped, or several tanks of gas cleaned it out...?
either way, I got a bunch of miles in!