Steering issue

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
:( it happened again, came out at lunch and bike was laying on its side, def was bumped by a car, and no guilty party or a note or anything. Not too much damage, no broken mirror, side a little scratched but I can live with it, the worst as I can see is bent fz1 handlebar, already ordered a new one and the steering is off, this is white wheel pointing straight

And this is when steering is pointing straight

Last time this happened steering was just as off and guy at the dealership said it just needed adjustments to straighten it out, no parts were replaced. Any idea how to get started on this, I already have the bar off and the controls, now just need this resolved.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember when you were a kid and you crashed your bicycle and the wheel was off? All you had to do was straddle the front wheel to hold it in place while straightening the bars. Similar situation, assuming nothing got bent the forks may just be twisted in the clamps.

Some get away with loosening the clamps a little bit and tapping the wheel against a tree or wall or something until straight. Be sure not to bang rotor or rim. Many have gotten away with doing it this way, but there are better ways of doing so.

You could also remove the wheel and forks. Reinstall and they should go in straight.

If fork tubes are bent or triple is bent you'll either need to replace, or find somewhere that can bend them back. Since it was just a tip over I suspects it's simply forks twisted in the clamps.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha I do remember the bicycle wheel trick. I'm hoping that that all it is. Rode the bike home and besides the steering being off, everything else felt fine. Handle bar should be here sometime end of the week, can't wait to go riding again.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing I would add is to get it on the centerstand and JUST get the ft wheel barely touching the ground.

Besides loosening the triples/forks, I would also crack the axle and fork (lower) pinch bolt) loose.
Once straightened out, tighten the axle and get the bike on the ground. Push up and down on the handlebars to let the right lower fork find its happy spot then clamp down to spec's..

Then, I'd find ANOTHER SPOT TO PARK!!! (or just leave it on its side, like your old bicycle :rolleyes: )

Good luck

BTW, is the space between the fairing and the tank still about equal on each side? Tip overs tend to bend the fairing stay, that space tightens up and the fairing itself is visably lop sided (as you sit on the CC and look forward).

Last edited:

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
did what tejkowskit suggested and it worked, but will go back and do what Scott suggests as well, just to make sure nothing else is getting stressed. Space between fairing and tank does seem about the same. Bike is on centerstand now. Handlebar def got the worst of it, will report back once handlebar gets here. Thanks guys

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
did what tejkowskit suggested and it worked, but will go back and do what Scott suggests as well, just to make sure nothing else is getting stressed. Space between fairing and tank does seem about the same. Bike is on centerstand now. Handlebar def got the worst of it, will report back once handlebar gets here. Thanks guys

When my bike got knocked down, the fairing stay got bent and this made it look like the steering was off center since the entire fairing had shifted a little bit to the right side. I tried bending it back but it did not get back into its original state and finally I replaced it.

From your pictures, it looks like the fairing is shifted to the right a bit(or maybe it is the angle of the photo). If you park the bike on center stand and look at the fairing from a little distance, the front view of the bike should make any slight bend easy to spot.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When my bike got knocked down, the fairing stay got bent and this made it look like the steering was off center since the entire fairing had shifted a little bit to the right side. I tried bending it back but it did not get back into its original state and finally I replaced it.

From your pictures, it looks like the fairing is shifted to the right a bit(or maybe it is the angle of the photo). If you park the bike on center stand and look at the fairing from a little distance, the front view of the bike should make any slight bend easy to spot.

+1 ^^^.

The PO dropped mine several times, mine was up about 3/4" on one side, not bad, but bothered the heck out of me.

I just replaced it as well as its an extremly odd shaped item to try and bend back and then make plastic line up with the steel...

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
i think the fairing stay is straight, most likely the angle of the picture as the bike was laying on its right side.....again :(

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site

The FZ6 faring stay is a bear to bend back! I had to use a MAP torch to heat it up and still had to really, really work at bending it back