Steering head bearing?

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, first post for me but hopefully it is a good one.

I have a 2006 FZ6, have owned it from nearly new (had 135mls when purchased), love it more than my Bandit I had in the UK.

Anyway, lately it has started to develop a sort of knocking feeling from the front when braking woth the front brakes and has a feeling that something is loose when going over sudden bumps.

At first I thought it was the brake caliper but they are fine, as are the pads, anyway, that would not explain the feeling of something loose going over bumps.

I have read on here about a problem with the steering head bearing coming loose, does this sound like a symptom?

Thanks

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
i know it may sound stupid (it probobly is I did it) but check the bolts that hold your gas tank down....somehow i lost (i dont think both of them backed out) the bolts and when i would hit a bump or railroad track it would rattle and clank and i thought it was the steering head but it was the tank flopping around! hope you get it figured out, im sure someone here can help, and welcome to the forum!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, first post for me but hopefully it is a good one.

I have a 2006 FZ6, have owned it from nearly new (had 135mls when purchased), love it more than my Bandit I had in the UK.

Anyway, lately it has started to develop a sort of knocking feeling from the front when braking woth the front brakes and has a feeling that something is loose when going over sudden bumps.

At first I thought it was the brake caliper but they are fine, as are the pads, anyway, that would not explain the feeling of something loose going over bumps.

I have read on here about a problem with the steering head bearing coming loose, does this sound like a symptom?

Thanks

My 05' with ~13k on it has started doing the same thing. It seems that it is mostly underheavy braking though. I at first thought it was just brake chatter, but they are fine. I am going to go over the front end with a wrench or two when I go back home this weekend.

-bryan