Steering Alignment

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

As you may know I crashed about 2 months ago. I just started riding the bike to work again and have noticed 2 things that make me think the steering alignment may be off.

1) When I am riding down the freeway going straight, the bars and steering head are aimed slightly to the right.
2) The left side of my front tire seems to have contact marks that are not present on the right side.

I have already checked and ruled out the fairing mount being bent and creating the illusion that the steering is off, and also ruled out the bars themselves being bent.

It looks as though the fork tube on the left side may be a few millimeters lower in the clamp but I can't be sure.

Can anyone offer some advice on identifying and correcting the problem?

TIA :confused:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking the forks shifted a little bit in the clamps.

Support the front of the bike by the header and loosen the fork tube clamps. Then twist the wheel a little to the right while holding the bars. If the height is off, now is the time to adjust that as well. Tighten the clamps back up to spec and ride around the block to see if the bars are straight.

Last edited:

Ashbone

Reaction score
Visit site
I had exactly the same issue but my bike came with the twist built in:eek:, I took it in to the Yamaha dealer where they loosened off:rolleyes: the triple clamp top and bottom and twisted the forks back in to line:rolleyes:, it was ok for a while but then slipped back to the twist but rather than pay them again and having watched the mechanic I had a go myself but noticed it would not move properly until the main steering nut had been loosened which they did not do, once this was done the front end twisted way easier, I adjusted the forks so that the tops were again level and everything was straight then just reversed the process for the tightening, just check on torque settings before you get too carried away,especially for the main steering nut and the one underneath for adjusting the bearing I actually found them on this site.
Hope this helps you out....but if in doubt take it too a dealer:rockon:

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. Sorry for rushing to post the questions. The search feature has proven useful as usual. It appears that this question has been asked and answered.

Thanks for not flaming me. LOL!