Stebel Horn Not 100%, Any Ideas?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I was testing my horn prior to my commute home from work this evening and I was Shocked! It's not Blasting away like it should, but rather just sounds like a lame stock horn. I'm trying to figure out what may be wrong with my horn. It hasn't got wet since I washed my bike last week, and it was working fine the other day. I kept honking away about a dozen times to see if it would correct itself, but still the same.

Any ideas on what may be wrong?

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had the same thing happen to me mate.It was the relay.I had mine wired up with the stock horn through the Stebel relay then one day I could get the stock horn to work but no Stebel.

So I removed the stocker and the relay,wired the Stebel straight to the old stock wires and now all is good :thumbup:

kvanderploeg

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure the horn portion hasn't come slightly detached from the compressor section. When I put one on my Father in Law's bike, it was slightly loose. Sounded awfully weak to me, until I pushed it back together. Now it wakes the dead!

Kent

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure the horn portion hasn't come slightly detached from the compressor section. When I put one on my Father in Law's bike, it was slightly loose. Sounded awfully weak to me, until I pushed it back together. Now it wakes the dead!

Kent

That might be a possiblity. I will look into this. I don't think it's a wiring issue. I removed my stock horn when I installed the Stebel, but I do have my Stebel installed in the same place.

If my horn is worn out, I'm going to buy two next time. I want Dual Stebel.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
That might be a possiblity. I will look into this. I don't think it's a wiring issue. I removed my stock horn when I installed the Stebel, but I do have my Stebel installed in the same place.

If my horn is worn out, I'm going to buy two next time. I want Dual Stebel.

+1. Mine isnt working right now. It has been hit or miss latley. I think I am going to try and replace the relay and see what that does. I will check those lines as well.

-bryan

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the horn mounted vertical? If not it can shorten the lifespan and performance of the compressor.

I think it's mounted verticle, take a look.

Anyway, I took a closer look at my horn after digesting the information that other members have posted. This is what I found.
A giigantic hole on the plastic. I was losing the compressed air going through my horn. I have no idea how it happend. Can't be from the forks going down too far because the hole was on the top of the horn. If I encountered any contact, it would be on bottm of the horn hitting my front fender. Is the horn that freaking loud that it blows a hole through the plastic?

Anyway, I got some thick aluminum foil tape, blacked it out with a black marker and covered up the whole. It seem to work okay now. It's a temporary fix, any suggestion on how to permanently cover up the whole?

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
Epoxy resin & a fiberglass cloth should do a good job. May be a little lumpy but it's pretty well out of site where you have it mounted.

Think a rock or something flew up off the road into it?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Eh, I think the compressor is to be mounted verticle. From your images, you have it mounted horizontal.

-bryan

Whether the horn compressor is verticle or horizontal, it works and has been working for a long time and I just simply installed it painlessly by removing the stock horn and replacing it with the Stebel. No extra drillings or mountings. Simple swap, with the exception of some extra wiring and to the relays. The # 1 priority for me mounting the horn was so that there was no way for water to enter inside the horn. So I made sure the exit point was facing down, rather than out or horizontal.

I'm going with the sabotage theory of someone that suffered the wrath of the stebel after doing something stupid!

This makes the most sense, I wouldn't know how a rock would end up getting inbetween the top of the horn and the frame of my forks, when it's directly above the front fender. Or the plastic just simply failed to the constant blasting.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand that but it is noted on several websites and I just got off the phone with guys at Twisted Throttle (calling about my horn) and they asked how I had it mounted. The compressor needs to be verticle with less that 15 degress of rotation either way.

I called about my issue and the relay acting funny. He highly suggested checking the contacts on the horn switch. Apparently that is a big problem. So I am going to go pull that apart and check it.

-bryan

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I called about my issue and the relay acting funny. He highly suggested checking the contacts on the horn switch. Apparently that is a big problem. So I am going to go pull that apart and check it.

I checked every contact on mine ,horn,relay and battery and all were good .As soon as I removed the relay the problem went away.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
So your not running a relay at all?

Is ther enough current to run it ok? Are you not damanging the contacts in your horn switch?

-bryan

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The horn pulls 18 amps, that's 216watts, or twice as much extra power you have available at any time on the FZ6. Now you're not gonna be running the horn 24/7 but still that's a lot of current, and it's bound to ruin something sooner or later.

I changed the 12v wire from 12gauge to 14gauge and noticed a little difference in performance.